European Union general discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Union general discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European Union general discussion  (Read 9862 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« on: December 27, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »

With COVID-19, I was wondering what situation is on border controls.  I haven't visited EU post COVID-19 (been to UK but not mainland Europe) so are border controls abolished or do they have them in place to control spread of COVID-19 such as checking people are vaccinated (and if not must self-isolate for 10 days) as well as requiring testing to cross.  If COVID-19 doesn't end anytime soon, could this impact free movement?  Yes right to live and work anywhere in EU won't be impacted other than those moving have to self isolate for first 10 days.

As for further integration, would be interested in which of countries not in Eurozone end up joining as no one in last 5 years has joined.  Technically only Denmark can stay out indefinitely but doesn't seem like EU is enforcing this. 

For those who have studied economics, most know you cannot have a common monetary policy without a common fiscal policy so any chance of EU moving towards one?  That would mean EU wide taxation (like US and other federations, countries would also levy taxes although at much lower rates than now to offset taxes paid to EU) and EU will borrow instead of member states?  This seems like a good idea economically but I would think it would face a lot of pushback.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 07:15:12 PM »

How are the EU candidate countries progressing?

Well, from my understanding Montenegro is the only realistic EU candidate for the 2020s. Talks in Montenegro seem to be advancing at a very slow but steady rate. I can't think of any possible issues with Montenegrin accession beyond the talks themselves, so I think Montenegro will make it in by the end of the decade.

Serbia is the only other candidate with chapters open and closed. It's advancing even slower than Montenegro, but not too much slower. In fact I imagine the EU probably wants some sort of joint Serbia+Montenegro accession. However the main issue with Serbia is the fact that it has severe democratic deficits plus as you may expect the issue of Kosovo. I do not expect these issues to be solved any time soon so I don't expect Serbia to join the EU at all.

Beyond that Albania and North Macedonia have just started negotiations but no chapters are open. Still at the current rate they'll eventually make it into the EU and the only issue they have (the North Macedonia naming issue with Greece) is solved. However they won't make it until at least the mid 2030s.

Bosnia is the final European state that is even remotely realistic for accession, but given its issues it almost certainly won't make into the EU until at the very least the mid-late 2040s, if ever.

Kosovo will never make it until it solves its issues with Serbia. Neither will Belarus or Russia.

Ukraine will never be let into the EU for similar reasons as to why it probably won't ever join NATO. However, in a vacuum if Russia ever gets reasonable, it is better than Bosnia as a candidate; I'd put it on the Albania/North Macedonia group

Worth noting a hypothetical independent Scotland or Catalonia could make it into the EU with relative ease but of course I don't expect either of the 2 to happen. Similarly, if Norway, Switzerland or Iceland ever apply to join, it is a guarantee that they will make it in in around 5 years or less; it's just very unlikely that they ever will apply.

Anyways to sum it up:

Montenegro: Late 2020s
Serbia: Early 2030s, but only if it gets the Kosovo issue sorted out
Albania+North Macedonia: Mid-late 2030s
Bosnia: Beyond 2040
Independent Catalonia/Scotland: 5-10 years from independence, assuming Spain does not veto
Norway/Iceland/Switzerland: 5 years from application date

Scotland would make it.  Also if Northern Ireland votes to join Ireland (Catholics have higher birth rate than Protestants so will eventually be a majority) it automatically becomes an EU member much like East Germany did when re-uniting.  Same with Northern Cyprus, automatically a member if island re-unites.

Catalonia I don't think ever joins as an independent one as for starters Spain won't let it separate and if it were to separate, Spain would veto its entry. 

Turkey: Not likely before 2040.  As long as Erdogan or an authoritarian like figure is in charge won't even be considered and even after that its almost a guarantee at least one country would veto their entry thus not happening anytime soon.

Final one forgotten is the United Kingdom.

I don't think it joins anytime soon even if they want to re-join but I do think with younger Brits mostly being pro-EU it does eventually re-join but probably not until around 2050 or so.  EU likely will require 2/3 majority in favour of re-joining so that know its secure and won't face another Brexit. 

Other is Gibraltar choses to join Spain, but I see this as unlikely since despite Gibraltar voting 96% to remain in EU, I believe very few wish to join Spain even though that would automatically bring them back into the EU. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies