IN-SEN 2022: McDermott In as Indiana Dems' Sacrificial Lamb (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN 2022: McDermott In as Indiana Dems' Sacrificial Lamb (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-SEN 2022: McDermott In as Indiana Dems' Sacrificial Lamb  (Read 2183 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: September 01, 2021, 03:48:43 PM »
« edited: September 10, 2021, 08:37:30 AM by StateBoiler »

I wonder if we’ll see a McDermott vs. Mrvan rematch here if Mrvan’s seat becomes more Republican through redistricting, and Mrvan decides to run for Senate instead of re-election?

No Democrat is going to win here, but absent a Mrvan candidacy, McDermott is probably Democrats’ best recruit in this race. Its always good to have a semi-serious candidate in every race.

Why not just run a certain former 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful?

Buttigieg has left Indiana politically forever and has no intention of coming back.

Some Republicans are disgruntled with Young and prefer Braun to him (I'd have it in reverse.) I don't expect anything to come of it because I'd say disgruntlement with Holcomb is higher and he's still flying high with no worries. He does have announced intended primary opposition in a Danny Niederberger. Young Niederberger finished in 11th place with 0.8% in the 5th Congressional District primary in 2020 that Spartz won. Not going to win of course, but if he can use the low-level disgruntlement to get the 4500 signatures needed to get on the ballot, probably long-term a positive for him and his name value if he intends to run for a lower-level office than Senator. Still a big ask.

18-minute-long interview with Niederberger from Indy Politics: https://indypolitics.org/candidate-conversations-9/

From my Libertarian Party sources, we are going to have 2 people seeking our Senate nomination at Convention.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »

Todd Young will likely win every county in the state except Marion, Lake, and Monroe.
This race is a pure formality. My coworker who's a mega liberal says she has no real complaints about Young.

Young is an empty suit, but that's to his advantage.

Nah I think he’s actually extremely intelligent. His ultra dumbed down 3 point campaign was annoying to wonks like us but brilliant as a strategy. I think he is actually interested in formulating good policy (see his work with Schumer and other democrats) and is willing to buck his own party (The Yemen issue earned him a direct rebuke from Trump).

I rate him above Braun.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 06:09:08 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2021, 06:18:04 AM by StateBoiler »

Todd Young will likely win every county in the state except Marion, Lake, and Monroe.

Wrong.

Young will win every county except Lake.

Young carries Marion, Black and business conservatives pull him to victory there. He gets 80% in Hamilton.
That is flat out absurd. He is not winning Marion.

He is winning Marion. Period. He gets back the Broad Ripple conservatives.
You are blatantly trolling. Period.

Young can win Marion because he is appealing to everyone.....
No Republican in that seat has won Marion County since 1992. It has only shifted hard left since then. He is not going to flip the county. It is completely absurd to think otherwise. There is no evidence he can or will appeal to enough voters to flip it.

Dick Lugar 2006 won it. There was no Democrat in that race but he still won it...

Unless Democrats even further collapse in this state, Woody Myers' 2020 governor campaign where he got 32% statewide is going to be the Democrats' floor vote for a very long time. Myers won 3 counties: Marion (52.1%), Lake (51.7%), and Monroe (where Indiana University is, got 52.8%). That's your floor for an incompetent Democratic nominee, so Young is not winning Marion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies