Is George Allen finished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:38:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is George Allen finished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is George Allen finished?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is George Allen finished?  (Read 3786 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »

I think he'll come close in his bid for the nomination if he even runs.

He could not win the nomination.  Even if he is innocent, he still sticks his foot in his mouth way too often.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

i wonder if webb has ever used the n-word?  i know he is a proud confederate.

I'm sorry Walter, but I honestly don't see what your beef is with Jim Webb.  You can disagree with him as a Democrat, but he is ten times the man George Allen will ever be from a character perspective, and I've met both candidates.

im not sure about webb's 'character'.  he is a well documented misogynist.  but, as usual, the intolerance of democrats is allowed without scrutiny.

so far all you all have all allen is claims that he may have used the n-word 30 years ago, even though ive yet to see, read, or hear proof.

you dont have to look very far to see webb's views about women.

How is Webb a misogynist?  OK, he spoke out against making the service academies co-ed nearly 30 years ago.  At the time, it was a very contentious issue in the upper ranks of the military, as Clinton's movements to allow gays in would be twenty years later.  I can understand his concern on the matter, since the military was undergoing some major changes during the 1970s and '80s and he happened to be on the side that was against change.  The reality was that schools like West Point and Annapolis had a deeply ingrained atmosphere that in many ways was considered unwelcome to women.  I may remind you that many alumni were upset when all-male schools like Dartmouth and Washington and Lee went co-ed during this period.  It was a time when women's liberation was emerging as a serious civil rights movement.  He has since apoligized for any comments that seemed hurtful.

Before I continue, may I remind you for the second time that George Allen was a vehement opponent of making Virginia Military Institute coeducational?  Yet you don't mention him as a misogynist.

Webb also spoke out against placing women in active infantry units.  This shouldn't sound like misogyny, because I should think that many Americans would be against placing women in the trenches during combat.  As I said before, the military was much different thirty years ago than it is now.  Back then, the notion of women fighting alongside men on the field of battle seemed ludicrous to the U.S. military brass.  Even today, it's still something of a new phenomenon.  I myself wouldn't want to place women in the heat of combat during battle, and I think many would agree with me.  That doesn't make me a misogynist, nor should it Jim Webb.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 04:23:35 PM »

Allen is still the favorite in his reelection bid until other polls still say otherwise. Plus he has a HUGE $$$ advantage.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »

Allen is still the favorite in his reelection bid until other polls still say otherwise. Plus he has a HUGE $$$ advantage.

Thankfully Webb is finally starting to catch up.
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

I'd call the race dead even now, with each candidate having about a 50% chance of winning.  Allen is making national headlines, and Webb is going to have a ton of cash coming his way, not to mention a surge in support.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »

so far all you all have all allen is claims that he may have used the n-word 30 years ago, even though ive yet to see, read, or hear proof.

Well Walter, knowing your views on social issues differ considerably from Allen's wing of the Republican Party, I would have thought that you'd be against him.  

OK, let's back up.  Maybe George Allen is not a racist, he just happens to be clueless about what he says.  This is not just an isolated incident.  Allen has had a history of problems on racial issues.  Right now the Allen campaign is trying to "swift boat" these UVA alumni who have spoken against Allen by calling them crazy or deluded.  But when LARRY SABATO denounces you on national television, then you've got problems.  What are they going to do now, call him a member of the "liberal media"?  In addition to the incidents at UVA back in the '70s, check out this link:

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/content/2006/09/george_allens_r.html

Doug Thompson, a Republican consultant encountered Allen several times during the 1980s and '90s, and describes Allen as habitually using words like "n" from the time he was a congressman to his days as a senator.  You can't get mad at this guy by calling him a partisan hack; he's a REPUBLICAN.  Other well-known conservatives like William F. Buckley have raised serious doubts about Allen's denials.  And did I mention that The Weekly Standard had Allen as its feature story?  It seems like the right is helping out the Webb campaign more than the left.

Based on all this evidence that has emerged over the last few
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 04:32:28 PM »

I'd call the race dead even now, with each candidate having about a 50% chance of winning.  Allen is making national headlines, and Webb is going to have a ton of cash coming his way, not to mention a surge in support.

Coming from a Tufts political science professor, I'm glad to hear that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »

I think he'll come close in his bid for the nomination if he even runs.

He could not win the nomination.  Even if he is innocent, he still sticks his foot in his mouth way too often.

I said he wouldn't win. He can come close though.
poughies
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 05:20:01 PM »

Someone said something very important. Webb is now getting cash that he couldn't of dreamed of a month ago. Its looking increasingly likely that the DEMS could either lose Missouri or New Jersey and still take back the senate.....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »

Someone needs to make a poll asking which minority, ethnicty or racial group will Allen get in some kind of scandal with next because he has went from Indian to Jewish to black in like a couple of weeks.

I'm going to guess....... the disabled.

lol good guess! I can see the headline now: George Allen attacks Cripple.

I just found this:

The George Allen Insult Generator
Deano963

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 06:04:29 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2006, 08:42:56 PM by Deano963 »

Someone needs to make a poll asking which minority, ethnicty or racial group will Allen get in some kind of scandal with next because he has went from Indian to Jewish to black in like a couple of weeks.

I just found this:

LOL! That thing is awesome!
Deano963

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2006, 08:43:37 PM by Deano963 »

Right you are Joel. Webb raised $2 million in the couple of months after the primary, and today on Hardball Chris Matthews said that Webb has raised another $1 million over the last month. $1 million in a month is pretty impressive. And that figure probably dosen't even include the Warner and Bill Clinton fundraisers, althouhg it probably does include the Grisham/King fundraiser. The Warner one pulled in 300K, and Clinton is coming next month. Everyone was worried about Webb's severe COH disadvantage previously, and rightfully so, but as of late Webb has been absolutely destroying Allen in fundraising, mostly due to Allen's own severe case of foot-in-mouth disease.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 06:41:32 PM »

Allen's not finished yet, but at this point, all it will take is continued allegations to drag him down even further.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 08:56:17 PM »

I just found this:

LOL! That thing is awesome!

Heh.  That is fun, if a little limited.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 11:09:54 PM »

No.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp