Counties where Trump got less votes than in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:35:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Counties where Trump got less votes than in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Counties where Trump got less votes than in 2016  (Read 3251 times)
Furpled
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2021, 09:40:31 AM »

The only two I could find are St Louis county MO and Hinds county MS. Any others?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »

A few I've found:

Dallas County, AL
Lafayette County, AR
Phillips County, AR
Stewart County, GA
Madison County, IN
Hamilton County, KS
Mississippi County, MO
Coahoma County, MS
Bowman County, ND
Athens County, OH
Sioux County, ND
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 08:28:29 AM »

A few I've found:

Dallas County, AL
Lafayette County, AR
Phillips County, AR
Stewart County, GA
Madison County, IN
Hamilton County, KS
Mississippi County, MO
Coahoma County, MS
Bowman County, ND
Athens County, OH
Sioux County, ND

Were these because of decreased turnout?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 01:19:53 PM »

One I've found is tiny San Juan County, CO. Trump got 215 votes to Clinton's 265 votes in 2016, and 202 votes to Biden's 342 votes in 2020.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 07:19:31 PM »

I had a hunch, and I was right - Alexander County, IL, shed the highest proportion of its population between 2010 and 2020, and despite swinging rightwards, it gave Trump 10 less votes (1486 instead of 1496; Democrats went from winning 1262 to just 1114).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »

I don't believe there are any in Oregon and just did a spot check of about ten counties.

Even in places with declining population, the impact of not only a higher Turnout election in Oregon as well as Automatic Voter Registration kicking in for the first PREZ election, and also a much lower 3rd Party vote share statewide between elections, pop growth in some of the largest DEM strongholds etc pretty much guaranteed that even with margin swings we were unlikely to see a smaller raw Trump vote count in any county statewide.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »

Lynchburg, VA seems to be one.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2022, 10:18:54 AM by DPKdebator »

There are several towns in Massachusetts where Trump got fewer votes than he did in 2016. The areas with the strongest Democratic swings from 2016 tended to have large Irish populations, so Biden definitely got a boost amongst Irish Catholic voters.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:11:18 AM »

Any where Biden got fewer than Hillary?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 12:18:12 PM »

Rockdale Georgia.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 03:19:04 PM »

Miami-Dade. Hillary got 624k votes and Biden 617k. Most likely the largest county where this is the case. Obviously he got almost ten percent less of the vote share.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 06:19:05 PM »

Bronx, NY
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 06:46:13 PM »

Sharkey and Issaquena in MS. In fact, Sharkey also gave Trump less votes in 2020 than it gave him in 2016...I guess it's just hemorrhaging people, though it might have also been because there was a stronger third-party performance in the county in 2020 than 2016 for whatever reason.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 01:09:08 PM »

Sharkey and Issaquena in MS. In fact, Sharkey also gave Trump less votes in 2020 than it gave him in 2016...I guess it's just hemorrhaging people, though it might have also been because there was a stronger third-party performance in the county in 2020 than 2016 for whatever reason.

I looked up Sharkey County's population data, and it lost 11% of its population between 2010 and 2020, on top of losing 25.3% of its population between 2000 and 2010, and it's got less than half of the population it did in 1970 (4,377 vs 8,937). It must be pretty depressing for people from areas like this to watch their communities decline on such a scale.
bayareabay
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »

"Fewer" votes.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »

I looked up Sharkey County's population data, and it lost 11% of its population between 2010 and 2020, on top of losing 25.3% of its population between 2000 and 2010, and it's got less than half of the population it did in 1970 (4,377 vs 8,937). It must be pretty depressing for people from areas like this to watch their communities decline on such a scale.

It's the same story in parts of Appalachia as well (i.e., Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia), and a lot of the Mississippi Delta. Sharkey County is far from unique - there are many other counties in the Appalachia/MS Delta that are extremely poor (Issaquena County, bordering Sharkey, is apparently America's poorest county by some measures) and unhealthy with low life expectancy and rapidly declining populations.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 07:21:55 AM »

It's the same story in parts of Appalachia as well (i.e., Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia), and a lot of the Mississippi Delta. Sharkey County is far from unique - there are many other counties in the Appalachia/MS Delta that are extremely poor (Issaquena County, bordering Sharkey, is apparently America's poorest county by some measures) and unhealthy with low life expectancy and rapidly declining populations.

Here's an interesting map that shows when each county peaked in terms of population:

The counties present in each category can be broadly categorized with ease in terms of their socioeconomic development. The early peaking counties (green) are mostly rural areas that lost people moving to cities during the process of industrialization, which made a lot of farmhand jobs obsolete. Early 20th century peakers (orange) are similar in this regard, but it also includes a lot of Black Belt counties that lost people to the Great Migration and Plains counties that were decimated by the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. Late 20th century peakers (red) are a mix of areas that once depended on manufacturing or resource extraction jobs as well as some more agricultural areas and urban core counties that experienced white flight. Counties that peaked during the last decade or two (blue and dark blue) are those that have more recently begun to suffer from the general depletion of rural and small-town America. Lastly, counties that gained population in 2020 (black) are predominantly well-off metropolitan areas with good job availability, are popular retiree destinations, have universities, resorts, or other socioeconomic pull factors that draw in people from elsewhere (in the case of the Mormon Belt, population growth is also being driven by strong but slowing birth rates).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 10:56:23 AM »

Here's an interesting map that shows when each county peaked in terms of population:

The counties present in each category can be broadly categorized with ease in terms of their socioeconomic development. The early peaking counties (green) are mostly rural areas that lost people moving to cities during the process of industrialization, which made a lot of farmhand jobs obsolete. Early 20th century peakers (orange) are similar in this regard, but it also includes a lot of Black Belt counties that lost people to the Great Migration and Plains counties that were decimated by the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. Late 20th century peakers (red) are a mix of areas that once depended on manufacturing or resource extraction jobs as well as some more agricultural areas and urban core counties that experienced white flight. Counties that peaked during the last decade or two (blue and dark blue) are those that have more recently begun to suffer from the general depletion of rural and small-town America. Lastly, counties that gained population in 2020 (black) are predominantly well-off metropolitan areas with good job availability, are popular retiree destinations, have universities, resorts, or other socioeconomic pull factors that draw in people from elsewhere (in the case of the Mormon Belt, population growth is also being driven by strong but slowing birth rates).

There are counties with a lower population now then they had in 1790-1840? That's astonishing.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 02:40:46 PM »

And to top it all some places in LA county have seen peak populations in 2000/10 but began to decline mostly the cities of Compton/Inglewood which is a result of the reverse great Migration and also Huntington Park and Maywood 2 homogenously Hispanic cities that is not diversifying it's population. L.A county is still the most populated county in America but this is a result of California beginning to grow it's population super slow or even decline
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2022, 03:57:37 PM »

There are counties with a lower population now then they had in 1790-1840? That's astonishing.

My reaction exactly. And it's not even just that - it's that they peaked between 1790 and 1840, so at no point in history since they've had as many people. I'm shocked there would be any such counties on the map.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 03:37:18 PM »

I know it's the wrong thread but I couldn't very readily find the thread for counties where Biden got less votes than Clinton, but had this one easily accessible. Here are some counties I found where Biden 2020 got less raw votes than Clinton 2016, all in Texas.

Out of TX's northernmost 20 counties (the Panhandle minus the southernmost counties in it) (7):
Lipscomb, Roberts, Wheeler, Dallam, Moore, Sherman, Hansford.

Random counties in western TX (3): Cochran, Gaines, Winkler

RGV (15): Starr, Willacy, Kenedy (Kenedy is also the only Romney/Clinton/Trump county in the country, giving it the longest ongoing losing streak), Brooks, Jim Wells, Duval, Jim Hogg, Zapata, Webb, Maverick, Culberson, Terrell, Val Verde, Frio, Kinney

Others (2): Foard, Hardeman

There are way more, of course, but I haven't taken the time to find all of them.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »

My reaction exactly. And it's not even just that - it's that they peaked between 1790 and 1840, so at no point in history since they've had as many people. I'm shocked there would be any such counties on the map.

I think at least some of them are due to counties having been split up. For example, Amelia County, Virginia on paper peaked in 1790, but Nottoway County was split off from it between 1790 and 1800 (actually in 1788 but it appears that they two were counted together at the 1790 Census as Nottoway County was not reported in the 1790 Census), so 1790 Amelia County isn't directly comparable to modern Amelia County.

Still, clearly at least some of them did in fact peak as early as 1800-1810. Harrison County, Ohio, Richmond County, Virginia (not to be confused with the city of Richmond) and Buckingham County, Virginia all seem to fall into this category.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 12:09:31 AM »

Full ranking:

1. Baltimore County, MD
2. St. Louis County, MO
3. Madison County, IN
4. Caddo Parish, LA
5. Lynchburg city, VA
6. Calvert County, MD
7. Washington County, MD
8. Montgomery County, AL
9. Harrisonburg city, VA
10. Athens County, OH
11. Rockdale County, GA
12. Allegany County, MD
13. Lake County, SD
14. Dallas County, AL
15. Adams County, MS
16. Saline County, IL
17. Hinds County, MS
18. Texas County, OK
19. Leflore County, MS
20. Perry County, AL
21. Letcher County, KY
22. Mississippi County, MO
23. Ouachita County, AR
24 (tie). Bowman County, ND
24 (tie). Coahoma County, MS
26. Portsmouth city, VA
27 (tie). Emporia city, VA
27 (tie). Charles County, MD
29. Humphreys County, MS
30. St. John the Baptist Parish, LA
31 (tie). Perry County, KY
31 (tie). Phillips County, AR
33. Beaver County, OK
34. San Juan County, CO
35. Alexander County, IL
36 (tie). Martin County, KY
36 (tie). Hamilton County, KS
38 (tie). Stewart County, GA
38 (tie). Sharkey County, MS
40. Sioux County, ND
41. Lafayette County, AR
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 11:12:10 AM »

Full ranking:

1. Baltimore County, MD
2. St. Louis County, MO
3. Madison County, IN
4. Caddo Parish, LA
5. Lynchburg city, VA
6. Calvert County, MD
7. Washington County, MD
8. Montgomery County, AL
9. Harrisonburg city, VA
10. Athens County, OH
11. Rockdale County, GA
12. Allegany County, MD
13. Lake County, SD
14. Dallas County, AL
15. Adams County, MS
16. Saline County, IL
17. Hinds County, MS
18. Texas County, OK
19. Leflore County, MS
20. Perry County, AL
21. Letcher County, KY
23. Ouachita County, AR
26. Portsmouth city, VA
29. Humphreys County, MS
33. Beaver County, OK
34. San Juan County, CO
35. Alexander County, IL
40. Sioux County, ND
41. Lafayette County, AR

The resulting state was D+3.7 in 2004, D+12 in 2016, and D+19 in 2020. Obama did better than Clinton but worse than Biden. The population barely increased from 2000-10 and it may have declined from 2010-20. As a result of state level changes GA is R+0.12 and MO was R+5 in 2008 assuming it still keeps St. Louis City, R+10 otherwise.
Sub Jero
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 09:40:40 PM »

Full ranking:

1. Baltimore County, MD
2. St. Louis County, MO
3. Madison County, IN
4. Caddo Parish, LA
5. Lynchburg city, VA
6. Calvert County, MD
7. Washington County, MD
8. Montgomery County, AL
9. Harrisonburg city, VA
10. Athens County, OH
11. Rockdale County, GA
12. Allegany County, MD
13. Lake County, SD
14. Dallas County, AL
15. Adams County, MS
16. Saline County, IL
17. Hinds County, MS
18. Texas County, OK
19. Leflore County, MS
20. Perry County, AL
21. Letcher County, KY
23. Ouachita County, AR
26. Portsmouth city, VA
29. Humphreys County, MS
33. Beaver County, OK
34. San Juan County, CO
35. Alexander County, IL
40. Sioux County, ND
41. Lafayette County, AR

Anchorage anyone? 🤷🏼‍♂️
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage,_Alaska

Looks like Trump got more votes in Anchorage in 2020.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies