WI-03: Kind retiring 🚨🚨🚨
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-03: Kind retiring 🚨🚨🚨
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: WI-03: Kind retiring 🚨🚨🚨  (Read 4890 times)
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 02:02:38 PM »

WI-03 will absolutely flip in 2022 now.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »

I mean, it depends on redistricting; there’s a good chance the district in its current form won’t continue to exist. But yeah, either way, not good for Dems!
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »

R+1, but I am sure Non Swing Voter and co will find a way to convince themselves it'll stay dem.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »

This is not good. The fact that he's simply retiring as opposed to challenging Johnson tells me that the red wave is going to be bigger than we'd thought.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 02:12:33 PM »

It is likely to flip (barring major unlikely changes to the map)) but there is nothing absolute about it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »

Why?  At least run for Senate Sad
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2021, 02:34:36 PM by Uncap the House »

WI Dems should push HARD for a third Dem leaning seat in redistricting. Evers should veto anything else, even a least change map that keeps this seat as Lean R. Let the courts draw the map - it very well may result in 6-2 anyway, but the swing justice is pretty moderate and has taken anti-gerrymandering stances in the past. In the very least it could result in a swing district or two that Dems could flip in a better environment. No point in letting the GOP just draw 6-2 when that’s the worst case scenario in a court battle anyway.

Edit: I completely understand that the current map is largely ungerrymandered // any compact map would likely result in 6-2 due to Dems’ inefficient distribution throughout the state (a few 80-20 D areas and a bunch of 60-40 R areas). I’m just saying there’s no reason for Evers to sign a 6-2 map when a court drawn map would result in the same thing or *maybe* something slightly better, but definitely not something worse. It’s not like Evers will face any political blowback for vetoing an R-drawn map.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 02:17:50 PM »

Probably flips, but:
- No idea what's going to happen with redistricting
- Trump is the only Republican to win this district since it was drawn in 2011
- Democrats have a decent bench here
- This guy is currently the Republican candidate
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »

Even without his retirement this seat would have probably been hard to hold for Dems in 2022.

Likely R I guess?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »

Probably flips, but:

?
Scott Walker and Johnson both won it .
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 02:23:42 PM »

Likely R.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »

Kind was probably gone anyway in 2022 considering he only won 51%-49% in 2020.  Almost impossible for redistricting to make the seat more Dem.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 02:29:59 PM »

Kind was probably gone anyway in 2022 considering he only won 51%-49% in 2020.  Almost impossible for redistricting to make the seat more Dem.

Natural least change but fixing the minor gerrymandering would replace the Portage arm with counties surrounding Madison. IIRC moves it 0.1 left.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »

What does this mean in regards to whether or not he will run for Senate?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »

Probably flips, but:

?
Scott Walker and Johnson both won it .

My bad, got that confused with something else.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »

WI Dems should push HARD for a third Dem leaning seat in redistricting. Evers should veto anything else, even a least change map that keeps this seat as Lean R. Let the courts draw the map - it very well may result in 6-2 anyway, but the swing justice is pretty moderate and has taken anti-gerrymandering stances in the past. In the very least it could result in a swing district or two that Dems could flip in a better environment. No point in letting the GOP just draw 6-2 when that’s the worst case scenario in a court battle anyway.

Edit: I completely understand that the current map is largely ungerrymandered // any compact map would likely result in 6-2 due to Dems’ inefficient distribution throughout the state (a few 80-20 D areas and a bunch of 60-40 R areas). I’m just saying there’s no reason for Evers to sign a 6-2 map when a court drawn map would result in the same thing or *maybe* something slightly better, but definitely not something worse. It’s not like Evers will face any political blowback for vetoing an R-drawn map.

The GOP also has to worry about losing the State Supreme Court race in 2023 and risk the court drawing a 4-4 map AND new state legislative boundaries.

If Dems get a third seat it might be more efficient to ask for a Milwaukee area one instead of Madison.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »

In terms of elections, this retirement is probably the most consequential, and whilst unsurprising on paper, I am genuinely surprised by this. Hopefully Van Orden doesn't win his primary - he would be one of the worst Reps.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »

Damn it
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

The GOP also has to worry about losing the State Supreme Court race in 2023 and risk the court drawing a 4-4 map AND new state legislative boundaries.

If Dems get a third seat it might be more efficient to ask for a Milwaukee area one instead of Madison.

Take the Waukesha portion out of WI-1 IMO and add more of Milwaukee.    I think the area that makes up WI-3 is probably gone for dems no matter what map is drawn (not including splitting Dane obviously).
Spectator
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 03:14:07 PM »

Pretty hard to draw a Democratic-leaning Milwaukee suburban seat unless you go out of your way to give Democrats the most favorable parts and split a big part of Moore's district.  The current WI-03 is basically an auto-R gain, and likely was going to flip even with Kind running again.

It doesn't sound like Kind will run for Senate, but I guess he didn't close the door on it entirely. I think he's probably the only potential candidate who could beat Johnson.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »

It depends on whom is running WI Senate is gonna be competetive it's not over til it's over and so will the Governor race
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 03:31:58 PM »

Sad news. Alone this could be a coincidence, it better not become a pattern across the country though.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 03:37:51 PM »

Meh.

Tossup -> Lean Republican
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: