Proposed Senatorial Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:50:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Proposed Senatorial Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Proposed Senatorial Reform  (Read 2077 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« on: August 09, 2021, 11:39:31 PM »

I think the Senate as a concept just needs to be thrown out.  I think equality between the states could be achieved in just the House if a "double majority" threshold was used to pass legislation.  For example, in order for a bill to become law it would need to achieve both a majority of raw votes and those votes would need to come from a majority of the states.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 08:30:23 PM »

I think the Senate as a concept just needs to be thrown out.  I think equality between the states could be achieved in just the House if a "double majority" threshold was used to pass legislation.  For example, in order for a bill to become law it would need to achieve both a majority of raw votes and those votes would need to come from a majority of the states.

That would just make it even harder for bills to pass. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying...
 Are you saying that a bill would need a majority of total votes and a majority of votes from the majority of states? Because that would just make it much harder to get things done, and it would benefit the GOP immensely in most cases.
 Or will a bill just need to get votes from representatives in at least 26 states? If that's what you means, it sounds reasonable but I'm unsure what effect it would actually have.

The latter is what I was intending to propose.

If I'm remembering my Constitutional history correctly, one of the main purposes of the Senate was to ensure that the citizens of small population states didn't get steamrolled on legislation by a small number of states with larger populations.  I think this was especially relevant given that states with slaves were given an outsized amount of representation in comparison to the population that was actually eligible to participate in government at that time.

The effect of the idea I was proposing would make killing a filibuster and/or clearing a supermajority threshold a lot easier.  I also think it would need to be coupled with some serious partisan gerrymandering laws and/or proportional representation to prevent a party from trying to seize control over an entire delegation by cracking the other party's voters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies