If you could organize the 2016 GOP Primary into ideological blocs, what would they consist of?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:51:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  If you could organize the 2016 GOP Primary into ideological blocs, what would they consist of?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could organize the 2016 GOP Primary into ideological blocs, what would they consist of?  (Read 584 times)
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »

In my view, Trump won the anti-establishment wing of the part, regardless of ideology, doing better with less educated, populist voters. Cruz seemed to do well with voters who thought that Trump was too liberal early on, but then switched to Trump anyway. Perhaps Cruz won a lot of the Huckabee '08 voters in the Deep South. Rubio and Kasich are the hardest to define for me. It seems they did the best with moderate GOP voters and anti-populist GOP voters, more moderate on social issues. I think Kasich only won Ohio because he was the governor there, but he also tended to do better in well-educated, urban areas. The same seems true for Rubio, winning Minnesota and DC and doing better in urban, educated areas along with Kasich. What is your view of this?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 07:45:03 PM »

I think Trump was the “beer track” candidate while the others were “wine track” candidates. In 2008 and 2012 Huckabee/Santorum were the “beer track” candidates and Romney was the “wine track” candidate. However, very religious voters tended to be Huckabee/Santorum/Cruz voters.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 10:43:05 PM »

I think Trump was the “beer track” candidate while the others were “wine track” candidates. In 2008 and 2012 Huckabee/Santorum were the “beer track” candidates and Romney was the “wine track” candidate. However, very religious voters tended to be Huckabee/Santorum/Cruz voters.

It does seem to me that the Kasich and Rubio voters were the most anti-Trump part of the primary. Would you agree the most moderate GOP voters either voted Kasich or Rubio? Considering Rubio carried DC with Kasich an extremely close second, DC most likely has the most moderate Republicans, I think this assessment is fair.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »

Would you agree the most moderate GOP voters either voted Kasich or Rubio?
Yes, with Cruz voters being the most extreme ideologically.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:08:12 PM »

Yes, I would agree, along with the small number of Ben Carson voters. Trump voters were the most ideologically diverse, I think. Rubio and Kasich were both seen as centrist somewhat in the primary, or at least anti-Trump, somewhere between now and then Kasich held his word and Rubio went off the deep end.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 11:16:23 PM »

Yes, I would agree, along with the small number of Ben Carson voters. Trump voters were the most ideologically diverse, I think. Rubio and Kasich were both seen as centrist somewhat in the primary, or at least anti-Trump, somewhere between now and then Kasich held his word and Rubio went off the deep end.
I’ve heard that the primaries were heartbreaking for some Cruz voters who thought the time had come for a true conservative.

Trump voters were the most likely to be low-information voters.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 11:20:36 PM »

I’ve heard that the primaries were heartbreaking for some Cruz voters who thought the time had come for a true conservative.

I think the dividing line was that Rubio took more younger moderates, while Kasich took a lot of the big money moderates and older people. I was very surprised to see that Rubio won the primary in Lynchburg VA home to Liberty University, I would have thought Cruz would have won that.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 11:49:57 PM »

I think the dividing line was that Rubio took more younger moderates, while Kasich took a lot of the big money moderates and older people. I was very surprised to see that Rubio won the primary in Lynchburg VA home to Liberty University, I would have thought Cruz would have won that.
Apparently far more Kasich voters voted for Clinton in the general election than any other GOP primary candidate’s voters. Nonetheless, a significant portion of Rubio voters voted for Clinton in the general election. I also think it’s interesting that Rubio won the parts of Tennessee and Arkansas that swung Democratic from 2004 to 2008.

Rubio winning Lynchburg makes me think that Liberty University doesn’t reflect the culture of Lyncburg.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 01:47:44 AM »

Apparently far more Kasich voters voted for Clinton in the general election than any other GOP primary candidate’s voters. Nonetheless, a significant portion of Rubio voters voted for Clinton in the general election. I also think it’s interesting that Rubio won the parts of Tennessee and Arkansas that swung Democratic from 2004 to 2008.

Rubio winning Lynchburg makes me think that Liberty University doesn’t reflect the culture of Lyncburg.

Do you have any numbers on this? I wasn't able to find the number of GOP primary support that went for Clinton.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2021, 06:43:43 PM by erwint.2021 »

In Texas, the urban areas in Texas that selected Rubio or Kasich in the primary were some of the heaviest swings against Trump in 16 and 20. In North Dallas, one of the only (slightly) GOP areas left of the city, selected Rubio and high numbers for Kasich, was one of the areas to swing hard against Trump. These areas also selected Romney in the '12 primary, bigtime, as well as McCain in the '08 primary bigtime, low numbers for Gingrich and Huckabee.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies