Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:57:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Atlas Chess Tournament '21 (Final Scores)  (Read 9546 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:56 PM »

Another silly question....

Is there an easy way to view all chess games of all Atlas Registered chess.com members?

Just curious about how badly I will get my bottom paddled against what appears to be an extremely formidable Atlas Tournament Lineup.

I think you'd have to manually look at the stats of each player, but you can find current players in the OP and we also have our chess.com club, which you can join.

As a member of our online club you can click on members, and then select an individual member to see the games they are currently playing as well as past games.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2021, 07:18:43 PM »

So apparently I won my chess match against Morgieb123 in two moves:

NOVA Green (White)      Morgieb123 (Black)

1.)    d4           f5
2.)    g3           **** Lost on Time ****

Needless the despite the obviously brilliant nature of my opening moves and deeply flawed Black Response, for some reason I feel distinctly underwhelmed....
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »

1.)    d4           f5

Needless the despite the obviously brilliant nature of my opening moves and deeply flawed Black Response, for some reason I feel distinctly underwhelmed....

morgieb lost on time in round 1, too. If this format isn't working, then he can let us know if he'd rather withdraw from future rounds.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2021, 09:33:00 PM »

1.)    d4           f5

morgieb lost on time in round 1, too. If this format isn't working, then he can let us know if he'd rather withdraw from future rounds.

Sounds good... honestly feel kind of crap to play my first Atlas Chess Game and end up with a "W" after my 2nd move.

The Swiss Model kinda reminds me of the "Old Skool" type of mail correspondence chess, which gives players some time to reflect upon their moves, while they can also do the IRL stuff, vs having to chase down the next upcoming Chess Tournaments down the Highway, etc....

It also allows Atlas which has a 24 Hour time zone population a proper amount of time to adjust for things like sleep schedules, work schedules, etc...

Although personally I don't mind a Tournament function with 1.5 Hrs / Player Total time, it does get tricky with things like time zones and all that and coordinating schedules with your opponent.

Anyways--- not sure who I am facing in the next bracket, but will await further instructions. Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2021, 11:04:54 PM »

1.)    d4           f5

Sounds good... honestly feel kind of crap to play my first Atlas Chess Game and end up with a "W" after my 2nd move.

The Swiss Model kinda reminds me of the "Old Skool" type of mail correspondence chess, which gives players some time to reflect upon their moves, while they can also do the IRL stuff, vs having to chase down the next upcoming Chess Tournaments down the Highway, etc....

It also allows Atlas which has a 24 Hour time zone population a proper amount of time to adjust for things like sleep schedules, work schedules, etc...

Although personally I don't mind a Tournament function with 1.5 Hrs / Player Total time, it does get tricky with things like time zones and all that and coordinating schedules with your opponent.

Anyways--- not sure who I am facing in the next bracket, but will await further instructions. Wink

I won't know round 3 until round 2 is complete. Pairings are based on matching players with similar scores who haven't faced each other yet. The preference is to match players meeting those criteria who would get opposite colors than in the previous round. There are more details to resolve unmatched or multiple possible matches but those are the primary ones.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2021, 08:51:06 AM »

My game against Ebowed has concluded. https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/daily/355226703?tab=report
Looked fairly even for a long while until some gaps opened. I note chess.com finds no blunder by him (or me) in the game.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »

My game against Ebowed has concluded. https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/daily/355226703?tab=report
Looked fairly even for a long while until some gaps opened. I note chess.com finds no blunder by him (or me) in the game.

gg to both players. I took a peek once in a while as it progressed, it did look like a very even game. Ebowed seemed to have the upper hand with the rook and queen staring at the black king after 22. Rxh4. Black fought back to take control with a rook battery on 26... Rag8. After 35 Kd3 I was hoping to see if black would go 35... Qb1+ with a bunch of nice mating threats:

36. Ke3 Re8+ 37. Qe4 Qxe4#
36. Rc2 Rxe2 37. Qxe2 Rg3+ 38. Kd2 Ne4+ 39. Qxe4 fxe4 and mate in a few moves
36. Rc2 Rxe2 37. Kxe2 Qxc2+ 38. Kf1 Qc1+ 39. Ke2 Rg1 or 39. Kf2 Ne4+ and again mate in a few moves
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »

gg to both players. I took a peek once in a while as it progressed, it did look like a very even game. Ebowed seemed to have the upper hand with the rook and queen staring at the black king after 22. Rxh4. Black fought back to take control with a rook battery on 26... Rag8.
Although the real breakthrough was 32...De8. From that point on - and I was hoping for that continuation when I played 30... Sf5, so maybe the real losing move was the long castling? - I knew  I was winning.
After 35 Kd3 I was hoping to see if black would go 35... Qb1+ with a bunch of nice mating threats:

36. Ke3 Re8+ 37. Qe4 Qxe4#
36. Rc2 Rxe2 37. Qxe2 Rg3+ 38. Kd2 Ne4+ 39. Qxe4 fxe4 and mate in a few moves
36. Rc2 Rxe2 37. Kxe2 Qxc2+ 38. Kf1 Qc1+ 39. Ke2 Rg1 or 39. Kf2 Ne4+ and again mate in a few moves
Huh, I remember the first sequence and the first 3 moves of the second from the analysis box. I think I focussed on 36. Rc2 Rxe2 37. Kxe2 Re8+ and didn't find a good continuation to that.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2021, 08:07:30 AM »

I see that TimTurner and Abdullah have agreed on a draw. As a reminder, draws count as a half point for each player and don't need to be replayed. AGA - Scott and OldSchoolRepublican - HockeyDude are the remaining games in round 2.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »

I have resigned my game against AGA.

NOVA GREEN and morgieb's game is the last one for round 2.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2021, 12:23:48 PM »

That was quite a good battle for most of the game. gg to both players.

NOVA GREEN won on time a while ago. OldSchoolRepublican - HockeyDude is the remaining game.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2021, 09:49:47 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2021, 01:04:22 AM by muon2 »

I see that HockeyDude has defeated OSR on time. That ends the games in round 2. Here are the standings:

2   muon2
2    AGA
2   minionofmidas
2   bore

1   OBD
1   oakvale
1   NOVA Green
1   Mimoha
1   Ebowed
1   HockeyDude
1   ascott
1   NewYorkExpress
1   YPestis25

0.5   Abdullah
0.5   TimTurner

0   Ishan
0   morgieb
0   OSR

Scott asked me to explain the pairing method, I think that's a great idea. I use a pairing based on the Dutch system for Swiss tournaments. The priorities for each round are the following in order of precedence.

1. Players may not meet more than once.

2. Players may not get more than one bye in a tournament.

3. Players may not play the same color three games in a row, nor may the absolute difference in black and white games exceed 2.

4. Players should face an opponent with an equal or nearly equal score. Players with equal scores are said to be in the same scoring group.

5. When a group has an odd number of players, the lowest rated player in a score group is floated down to the next score group. If there is no lower group the player is given a bye.

6. Players with the same scores are divided into upper and lower halves based on their chess.com daily rating. Players floated down from a higher group are considered to have the highest rating. Players in the upper half should face players in the lower half.

7. Players should alternate colors. If two players face each other who would both played the same color in the previous round, the higher rated player gets black (except for priority 3).

8. Players with higher ratings in the upper half of a score group should play players with a higher rating in the lower half of the score group.

Note this tends to pair weaker players with stronger players in the early rounds, so that strong players will face each other in the later rounds. This is similar to a seeded single-elimination tournament where the highest-rated players face the lowest-rated players initially, with the top two players kept in separate brackets until the finals. The advantage of the Swiss is that lower-ranked players get a chance to face more equal competition in later rounds, rather than being knocked out.

In my next post I'll show how this algorithm leads to the pairings for round 3.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2021, 07:22:51 AM by muon2 »

Round 2 is complete, and the Dutch pairing method uses the player ratings as well as current score and most recent colors.

Atlas Chess Tournament Round 2 results (current chess.com daily rating), round 2 round 1 colors
2   muon2 (1891)      B W
2    AGA (1624)      W B
2   minionofmidas (1594)   B W
2   bore (811)      W B

1   OBD (1255)      W B
1   oakvale (1220)      W B
1   NOVA Green (1200)   W x
1   Mimoha (1136)      B B
1   Ebowed (989)      W B
1   HockeyDude (981)   B W
1   Scott (963)      B W
1   NewYorkExpress (785)   B W
1   YPestis25 (770)      B W

0.5   Abdullah (797)      B W
0.5   TimTurner (642)      W B

0   Ishan (1125)      W W
0   morgieb (626)      B W
0   OSR (585)      W B

The pairing uses group based on players with the same score, starting at the top. Each score group is divided into halves based on ratings, so players from the upper half face players from the lower half. If colors weren't a factor, then the 2 point group would be muon2 vs minionofmidas and AGA vs bore. But both muon2 and minionofmidas just played black and AGA and bore just played white, so the matches between halves are switched. That sets round 3 with muon2-bore and minionofmidas-AGA.

There are 9 players on a score of 1, so the lowest rated player YPestis25 is floated down to the next score group. The division of the remaining 8 into halves gives OBD (W B), oakvale (W B), NOVA Green (W x), and Mimoha (B B) in the upper half. They would be paired against Ebowed (W B), HockeyDude (B W), Scott (B W), and NewYorkExpress (B W). Mimoha has played black twice and must play white in round 3 and Ebowed is the only player in the lower half who played white in round 2 so they will be paired Mimoha-Ebowed. Matching the other three pairs in order gives HockeyDude-OBD, Scott-oakvale, and NewYorkExpress-NOVA Green.

YPestis25 floated to the 0.5 score group and has played TimTurner already. Both YPestis25 and Abdullah played black last round and white the round before. The player with the lower score (or lower rating if the score were tied) gets white, so that pairing is Abdullah-YPestis25.

TimTurner is floated to the 0 score group so the remaining halves are TimTurner and Ishan against morgieb and OSR. morgieb-TimTurner is one pair and OSR-Ishan is the other pair. Both OSR and Ishan were white last round, but Ishan has been white twice, so Ishan must take black in round 3.

Here is the full list of parings for round 3 with white listed first:
muon2-bore
minionofmidas-AGA
HockeyDude-OBD
Scott-oakvale
NewYorkExpress-NOVA Green
Mimoha-Ebowed
Abdullah-YPestis25
morgieb-TimTurner
OSR-Ishan

White should initiate the challenge, though either play may do so. If the black player makes the challenge, then make sure to state that you will be black. If there is a problem making a challenge, it may be because the rating difference is too great. One solution is friend your opponent and in daily game settings activate "My friends can challenge me no matter what".
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2021, 11:43:00 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2021, 07:51:36 PM by President Scott☀️ »

Gah, not looking forward to facing oakvale again. Tongue

This methodology is going to take time for me to digest (it's times like this I wish I were good at math and didn't have attention deficits), but Round 3 is officially commenced.

(also muon, in the future, please simply refer to me as Scott. bit of a pet peeve.)

White vs. Black
muon2 - bore
minionofmidas - AGA
HockeyDude - OBD
Scott - oakvale
NewYorkExpress - NOVA Green
Mimoha - Ebowed
Abdullah - YPestis25
TimTurner - patzer
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »

Gah, not looking forward to facing oakvale again. Tongue

This methodology is going to take time for me to digest (it's times like this I wish I were good at math and didn't have attention deficits), but Round 3 is officially commenced.

(also muon, in the future, please simply refer to me as Scott. bit of a pet peeve.)

White vs. Black
muon2 - bore
minionofmidas - AGA
HockeyDude - OBD
Scott - oakvale
NewYorkExpress - NOVA Green
Mimoha - Ebowed
Abdullah - YPestis25
morgieb - TimTurner
OSR - Ishan

Challenge accepted against NewYorkExpress!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2021, 06:07:02 PM »

Ebowed takes the first win of round 3!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »

How does that happen so quickly?

Round 3 just started on 10/9/21?Huh
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »

For one thing, more experienced players tend to be faster ones.

I've been trying my hand each day at playing against some of the engines on chess.com or lichess and giving myself ten seconds or so before moving. It's good practice!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2021, 01:54:33 AM »

For one thing, more experienced players tend to be faster ones.

I wouldn't really describe myself as experienced (I only took up chess as a serious interest earlier this year), but I've had a lot of time to practice thanks to lockdowns.  But I will say that if anyone is trying to improve their game, something that has helped me recently has been doing the blitz (timed 3 minutes) games.  Live chess is a beast.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »

And three games in round 3 haven't started yet:
HockeyDude vs OBD
morgieb vs TimTurner
Old School Republican vs Ishan
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2021, 04:16:42 PM »

I resign due to the computer where I play chess dying and I forgot the email of my account.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2021, 05:39:37 PM »

I resign due to the computer where I play chess dying and I forgot the email of my account.

Do you have a smartphone or alternative device? You can always create a new email, too.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2021, 12:00:49 AM »

Awaiting a challenge form Hockeydude
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »

The rules allow for up to three days per move. However, each round is expected to last about a month. So, players are expected to complete a turn per day on average. If players used their full time on every move we wouldn't be starting round 4 until some time in 2022.  

I tend to take obvious moves quickly, especially openings and trades. I use more time if I want to think about a complex position. Obviously if I'm sleeping or working I take advantage of the time between moves.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:28 PM »

The rules allow for up to three days per move. However, each round is expected to last about a month. So, players are expected to complete a turn per day on average. If players used their full time on every move we wouldn't be starting round 4 until some time in 2022.  

I tend to take obvious moves quickly, especially openings and trades. I use more time if I want to think about a complex position. Obviously if I'm sleeping or working I take advantage of the time between moves.

Point taken, although I didn't know the expectations going in!

Just updated my sig temporarily to reflect my revived interest in Chess.   Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies