Opinion of this meme (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:14:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of this meme (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this meme
Freedom Meme

Horrible Meme

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Opinion of this meme  (Read 1035 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 11, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »

The core tenets of the traditional Abrahamic religions that distinguish them from other religions are that:

1. There is a singular omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent deity who created the universe.
2. Said deity rules said universe and established ethical standards that humans should follow.
3. Following that deity's standards is beneficial to humans and failing to do so is baleful.

Abraham is a common part of the cultural history of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, but other than as an example of tenet #3, he's not particularly important.

Trinitarian Christianity puts a strain on the "singular" part of tenet #1, and it's my understanding that Mormon theology does it even more. Tho, I'm not an expert on Mormon theology as Mormonism with its flat out errors concerning pre-Columbian America never appealed to me. The Book of Mormon is clearly a fraud authored by Joseph Smith.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:22:08 PM »

the Gospel writers only clearly show relating the story to the OT and not, say, to mystery Greco-Roman religions or Homeric epics.

In general this is true but there are some instances in the NT where we can see the influence of Homer. The most obvious example I know is the story of Eutychus in Acts 20 being a transvaluation of Elpenor in the Odyssey.

That's really a stretch. The only link between the two is that both prefigured Humpty Dumpty by taking a great fall. Tho obviously the tale of Humpty Dumpty was more influenced by Elpenor than Eutychus since like Elpenor, Humpty Dumpty was not put back together again.

The reasons why they fell, their end fate, and their use within the narrative were completely different. It's a fevered take from a grad student desperate for a thesis topic to satisfy a professor who thinks much of the New Testament was a response to the Homeric tradition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies