5 years after Colin Kaepernick, what did it reveal to you about society?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:12:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  5 years after Colin Kaepernick, what did it reveal to you about society?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 5 years after Colin Kaepernick, what did it reveal to you about society?  (Read 325 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »

5 years ago this month, August 2016, then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick changed the world basically by listening to football long snapper and Army soldier Nate Boyer about kneeling during the US national anthem instead of sitting down by protesting police brutality and racism.....Kaepernick and his ally Eric Reid knelt and a new wave of social activism never seen since the 1960s occured, growing worldwide....

What did the past few years reveal to you about society at large?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »

Colin who?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:45:29 PM »

Seeing as that this is the US Election Atlas Forum, it might behoove you to have some knowledge of important figures in America.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »

…that Black people hate America, obviously.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:06:49 PM »

Then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who led his team to Super Bowl 47 in 2012, a biracial man who was adopted started a athlete conversation about using their social platform and privilege to speak about racial and social issues. Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem's display to protest police brutality and racism....

He has not been in the National Football League as a quarterback since December 2016 when he became a free agent, many people see him being blackballed from getting a job in 2017 and 2018, he has done activism work ever since.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 11:03:50 PM »

socity?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »

That people are willing to boycott sports now.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 12:35:05 AM »

The NFL is okay with actual human scum like Tom Brady's buddy Antonio Brown but civil rights agitation is no bueno.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »

Nothing.

I haven't heard of his name in a long time, and it took me a second to recall who he actually was.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 01:13:50 AM »

The NFL is okay with actual human scum like Tom Brady's buddy Antonio Brown but civil rights agitation is no bueno.

If Kaepernick was as good a QB as Brown was a WR, trust me, they would have overlooked it. But his career was in decline by the time he started his stunts.

Also, between his Nike deal, accepting huge settlements in his lawsuits against the NFL, his demands for 20 million dollars per year to play in the XFL (100 times what their QBs are normally paid), and his extraordinarily deep "both sides bad, don't vote lol" political commentary, something tells me Kaep isn't in this to be a selfless martyr for the cause or the next MLK... Or hell, even the next Muhammad Ali. Which would be a more fitting comparison, except Ali was actually good and determined and as a result his career was by no means ruined by his political controversies.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 01:17:55 AM »

The same thing everything else the past five years have revealed to me about society: that we live in one.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 06:54:51 AM »

Seeing as that this is the US Election Atlas Forum, it might behoove you to have some knowledge of important figures in America.

I love that word. Behoove.

Can you use it in another sentence in a different context so I can use it tomorrow at work.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 08:07:16 AM »

If Kaepernick was as good a QB as Brown was a WR, trust me, they would have overlooked it. But his career was in decline by the time he started his stunts.

Also, between his Nike deal, accepting huge settlements in his lawsuits against the NFL, his demands for 20 million dollars per year to play in the XFL (100 times what their QBs are normally paid), and his extraordinarily deep "both sides bad, don't vote lol" political commentary, something tells me Kaep isn't in this to be a selfless martyr for the cause or the next MLK... Or hell, even the next Muhammad Ali. Which would be a more fitting comparison, except Ali was actually good and determined and as a result his career was by no means ruined by his political controversies.

So being a rapist is okay with you as long as they can catch ball good? Got it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 08:30:28 AM »

That a washed up quarterback most likely hates his white parents and white siblings. 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »

So being a rapist is okay with you as long as they can catch ball good? Got it.

Like yea, is this news to you? I think a Former NFL GM said it best, "If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, he'd have a minor eating disorder"
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »

1. Wealthy black people in the spotlight really just want power and control, with no real change and reform. Most are hypocrites

2. White liberals really don't care about race issues until they are called racist or it benefits their pockets

3. The right is really incompetent on race in an unforgivable manner

4. A lot of woke black people are really con-artists or idiots
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 06:07:08 PM »

Colin Kaepernick is the greatest civil rights icon in American history since Robert E. Lee.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »

I had a football jersey with his name on it long before he did that kneeling thing.
I was hesitant to wear it for a few years after that to avoid having people think I was making a political statement.
Someone mistakenly thought I was doing that once.

Really sucks how everything becomes politicized.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »

Did the past few years expose to you who Jerry Jones, Boomer Esiason, etc. are, especially the way how they treated Kaepernick?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies