Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:15:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 34528 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: August 22, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
« edited: August 22, 2021, 09:59:01 PM by DON FARBIZIO CORBERA »

I hope I'm wrong, but the growing pains with Osimhen aren't getting better to start Year 2. I know I have to be patient, but the team is usually better without him despite a few memorable plays he was responsible for - including one or two before being sent off today (yet rarely with a finish, especially when it was a goal that mattered for the outcome). Hard to blame a 22 year old but doubt he makes us any closer to competing for scudetti when it should be wide open the next 2-3 years. He needs to start rising to the occasion.

At least, we can laugh at Juve. Big wow. Downright pathetic that the stars were brought on to protect a lead and failed. Inter dynasty (despite significant turnover) in the making
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:03:57 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2021, 03:32:11 PM by DON FARBIZIO CORBERA »

*Goes into season with no expectations*
*Perfect through four matches. Everyone else has dropped points*

"What if Napoli never lose a Serie A game again?"

How about sport, how much do we love sport. Building me up to break my heart surely.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »

This is definitely in contention for the worst thread on Atlas. I know we have a lot of candidates, but this is just so bad.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »

Napoli have been very impressive. Back-to-back away 4-0 wins. It's over a month until their next truly tough match, too.

Thanks for the shout. Not only is Osimhen finally going in alone making plays all by himself (they rarely produce scores but evenly matched 1-on-3's are exciting to watch), but Anguissa has been a shockingly tremendous talent that has transformed the way this team plays - so free-flowing. I can't tell if it's the weaker competition, but the guy simply doesn't mistakes and sets up everyone else. And it gives a pretty fresh and competent starter off the bench in either Elmas or Zielinski (typically would continue starting Zielinski).

Can't expect too much from an older Mertens, but I suspect he will start when he returns too giving an eighth attacking option. So much depth here to stay fresh.

Could use a fourth defender capable of starting at this level, but it's certainly not hurting us so far.

You're right that Fiorentina likely won't be a test but won't overlook them on the road. Glad to see them doing much better even if they aren't quite back at the level they should be. Getting better.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »

Remember three days ago when the desperate US Soccer media was having a real normal one because beating Jamaica was so indicative of this youthful and talented team being ready to take the next step? Here's hoping Costa Rica does their job and puts the US where is justifiably belongs - outside the top 3.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »

Yesterday Giovanni Simeone, striker for Verona and son of Atlético Madrid coach Diego Simeone, had a moment of glory and destroyed Lazio by scoring four goals - something that I think happens a couple times a year or so in Serie A. The match ended 4-1 as Ciro "clockwork" Immobile did not fail to put his name on the score sheet.

What the heck. I missed the 9:00 AM timeslot for mass so I could catch the bigger games after. I saw the score at least three times but until now was certain that it was 4-1 in favor of Lazio. Good for him! Fiorentina back amongst le sette sorelle!? 🙏 Not quite but a boy can dream. WEDNESDAY!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 03:19:54 PM »

Still just three goals conceded through 11 matches now. But about to enter a stretch with six of the next seven against the best offenses in Serie A (and Empoli's no slouch). First game will be against Verona (without Koulibaly) following their back-to-back takedowns of the giants. We'll know fairly soon how much of a dogfight we are in for - or if we are even a real player at all.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »

What an epic and unbelievable collapse by Inter at the derby after making Milan look like they weren't in the same league for 60+ minutes, save for the keeper.

If Napoli get by Venezia tomorrow, that will set up a showdown with the league lead on the line. If they draw or lose, they could still play spoiler to help Milan. Inter of course will have a game in hand even if they relinquish the lead.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 04:51:47 PM »

God bless our neighbors in Salerno! Stealing points from Milan, creating the opportunity for all three squads to be separated by a point once again at the weekend's conclusion. (Too much to hope for Sassuolo to steal some points too?)

In foreign news, the store had on the Spurs game. I apologize to bronz for mocking his Harry Kane obsession. That was a glorious free-flowing match with a finish we don't get nearly enough. Too bad I don't have a dog in that title race though nice to see it tightening.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »

F.C. Südtirol, which has given up just nine goals all season in Serie C Girone A, have likely clinched the club's first ever promotion to Serie B after their second 0-0 draw with second place Padova, the heavy favorite for promotion going into the season.

Padova still has a tiny window if Südtirol loses to 7th place Triestina to suffer their third loss on the year, or has another draw, and Padova has a 4-goal win in their finale.

Padova should be the favorite to win the 4th promotion spot in the playoff, but there's always a lot of risk on that pool. Even after Catania's sudden bankruptcy, the south has three legitimate foes, and you can't count out Reggiana, who is barely clinging on in Girone B.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2022, 09:58:13 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I think today was the single most unbearable game to witness in almost 15 years as a Napoli fan. A loss to Empoli to be elimated, fine, they have some talent despite their poor form, tough place to play, weather game.

To lose like that, inexcusable. Cannot happen. Fireable offense.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 01:59:34 PM »

Salernitana is on fire, defeating red hot Fiorentina with 28 percent possession 😂😂 3 victories in a row, and it should have been 4, if they didn't blow the late lead against Roma.

One of the most undeserving Serie A clubs in recent memory is now just 3 points shy of getting out of the relegation spot, with a game in hand and a game remaining against 17th place Cagliari. Who'd a thunk it. Luck took the short train ride south across Campania.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 03:03:59 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2022, 06:46:58 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Napoli being the butt of all Serie A jokes lasted three days as Inter literally throws away at least one point, if not all three, in the COVID make-up game against Bologna with one of the worst attempted clears you will ever see. Both Napoli and Inter showing how difficult it is to play with your unpracticed reserve in net.

Milan has a very difficult schedule yet, but now there is a little breathing room should they draw once.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2022, 04:31:04 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Silvio Berlusconi's dream of taking Monza to Serie A at last after 40 seasons at the second level may have to wait another year! It looked extraordinarily likely after last week's dominating result, but Perugia need the victory to have a prayer for promotion themselves, dropping Monza to 3rd on an extremely competitive table. They'll be a slight favorite over Brescia, Pisa and Benevento in the promotion playoffs. (e: officially 37% per 538)

Instead, Cremonese will be at the top flight for the first time since 1996.

The relegation battle is now incredibly intense after Genoa makes up for their late penalty miss against Sampdoria by converting on a 96th minute penalty to stun Juventus out of nowhere. Still almost certain to be relegated, but they have a prayer.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »

Salernitana looked all but certain to stay in the top flight for the first time until a 99th minute corner from Cagliari overpowered the hand of the keeper. It remains a 50-50 prospect. Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 07:17:23 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2022, 07:38:56 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

After 40 seasons at Serie B, Monza will join Serie A for the first time as the winner of the promotion playoff, becoming the 67th club to have that honor. I'm none too happy about it, but there were a decent number of revelers here over the weekend.

The most historic clubs without a Serie A appearance are now:
  • Taranto (32 seasons without Serie A promotion)
  • Cosenza (24th season upcoming)
  • Sambenedettese (21 seasons) (lol)
  • Arezzo (16 seasons) (lol)
  • Cittadella (16th season upcoming)

It doesn't feel like any of these squads are particularly close to breaking the barrier (and Sudtirol will get a crack before a few of them), so Monza may mark the end of the recent run on debutees after Frosinone, Crotone, Benevento and Spezia over the past 6 years

Crotone famously went from 17th to 2nd in Serie B, of course. Perhaps that will be a shining example for cross-regional rival Cosenza. Serie B will be loaded next season, so it would be a monumental effort.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2022, 03:12:02 PM »

Palermo takes a 2-0 aggregate lead into halftime of the second leg and appears to be set to take the final spot in Serie B! Bari and Palermo storming back from bankruptcy, side-by-side. One more promotion to go. Southern comeback Purple heart

Serie B will be loaded next season with 7 of the 21 most historic Italian clubs (Genoa, Cagliari, Bari, Palermo, Brescia, Parma and Modena) along with Pisa and Benevento who were extremely close to promotion last season. Venezia coming down gives you 10 contenders very serious about getting to the top flight (though I am skeptical on Parma and Modena's readiness - for now). Can't wait!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 07:22:39 PM »

The top 9 Italian clubs (no disrespect to Spezia intended) all win their opening match though Inter and Fiorentina both made their fans sweat it out.

Round 2 will have two sets of those 9 squaring off, but don't mind me as my eyes peak ahead to Round 3 as Dybala hopes to make a statement in his return to Allianz. That will be can't miss action between the two clubs with the highest potential to sneakily steal the league title from the grasp of Inter (deja vu all over again) but also the highest potential to fall all the way to 7th and miss out on everything. (Don't at me when they draw or when they finish 3rd and 4th in the league table)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 03:45:20 PM »

A grand accomplishment for the failed state of England to fall to the second tier of European football. Exposed so quickly in this young league to determine the most powerful of the nations.

Italy - Hungary for a spot in the top 4. Terrific!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 08:11:18 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2022, 08:20:27 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

While the above is clearly incorrect, I hesitate to offer a similar take:

Juventus does indeed have a relatively big October match on Saturday in the Derby della Mole during an otherwise light weekend. They are currently only 29% to finish top seven for any European spot next year (compared to 32% to finish in the bottom half of the table). If they can't win this one (Torino has taken just one match in this derby in the last 27 years), we're really going to see the odds for the latter shoot up - but 10th or 11th placing is downright likely.

3 of the 5 remaining matches in 2022 are supposed to be certain victories, and if they start dropping points there, we'll know if they are really in trouble.

Maybe being out of European competitions (and the World Cup too) will give old legs a rest come springtime though. But this is too enjoyable not to relish.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 01:56:45 PM »

A week after Lazio defied all expectations and won handily in Bergamo without Immobile, they are complete exposed at home by Salernitana who catapult themselves into ninth (!) in Serie A.

Lazio only brought in Malinkovic-Savic when they couldn't put Salernitana away without him and he immediately picked up a yellow card to keep him out of the derby. Both he and Immobile out against Roma...dangerous position for them to be in where every point counts in such a tight and unpredictable race.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 02:08:21 PM »

Both [Malinkovic-Savic] and Immobile out against Roma...dangerous position for [Lazio] to be in where every point counts in such a tight and unpredictable race.

Hahahahahahaha, incredible stuff. Roma going down to sixth.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 08:44:14 PM »

While the above is clearly incorrect, I hesitate to offer a similar take:

Juventus does indeed have a relatively big October match on Saturday in the Derby della Mole during an otherwise light weekend. They are currently only 29% to finish top seven for any European spot next year (compared to 32% to finish in the bottom half of the table). If they can't win this one (Torino has taken just one match in this derby in the last 27 years), we're really going to see the odds for the latter shoot up - but 10th or 11th placing is downright likely.

3 of the 5 remaining matches in 2022 are supposed to be certain victories, and if they start dropping points there, we'll know if they are really in trouble.

Maybe being out of European competitions (and the World Cup too) will give old legs a rest come springtime though. But this is too enjoyable not to relish.

Juventus has taken all 18 points since this point to elevate to themselves to third in the league table and second in goal differential! Conceding less than half a goal per match for the season. From 29 percent chance to 85 percent chance of a top 7 finish.

Huge odds-changing victory leaves both Roman clubs outside the forecasted top four. All that hullabaloo for more of the same...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 08:50:14 PM »

It may be problematic to get giddy over the gossip of real people's lives while pining for representation, so I'm just pretending this is a Ted Lasso Season 3 storyline so I can still feel happy with a fictional fake face to it, until they want it covered. Congrats to the happy teammates!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 12:48:31 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

How is Lecce absolutely destroying Milan in every facet of the game? They look shook after completely caving to a Roma squad that hasn't shown any fight until just now.

I booked Matchday 36 at season start, but at this rate, Napoli could realistically win with the league with 4-8 games to spare, barring injury. Going to have to find another game. Return trip to Allianz? 👀

Yes, this is probably an overreaction, but when you put up five on the best defense, I think I've earned the right to overreact.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies