Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:22:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49
Author Topic: Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 34279 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: September 07, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »

If I were Todd Boehly, and I were prioritizing the American market (which is what it looks like with the decision to keep Christian Pulisic), I'd be on the phone with Jurgen Klinsmann about the head coaching vacancy.

lol. Hiring a German coach with no managerial achievements to "prioritize the American market"? Might as well just hire Jesse Marsch.

A German coach who has previously managed the U.S National Team, which is why I suggested him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #651 on: September 07, 2022, 06:42:47 PM »

Napoli pulls off a pretty impressive upset, demolishes Liverpool 4-1.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #652 on: September 08, 2022, 05:24:20 AM »

If I were Todd Boehly, and I were prioritizing the American market (which is what it looks like with the decision to keep Christian Pulisic), I'd be on the phone with Jurgen Klinsmann about the head coaching vacancy.

lol. Hiring a German coach with no managerial achievements to "prioritize the American market"? Might as well just hire Jesse Marsch.

A German coach who has previously managed the U.S National Team, which is why I suggested him.

Jürgen Klinsmann was one of the greatest players of his generation, but his managerial track record hasn't been impressive. He did a good job as Germany coach, but his track records with Bayern Munich and the US national team would not leave me inclined to hire him as Chelsea manager if I was the Chelsea owner.

I'd probably go for Pochettino myself, but I can think of quite a few managers I'd pick before Klinsmann.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2022, 07:37:41 PM »

Manchester United's Europa League campaign gets off to a horrible start, as they lose to Real Sociadad 1-0.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #654 on: September 08, 2022, 10:31:03 PM »

We might have a possible Cinderella Story in the Europa League too, as Ludogorets Razgrad won their first group match against Roma 2-1.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #655 on: September 09, 2022, 06:14:51 AM »

Premier League matches postponed this weekend.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #656 on: September 09, 2022, 12:42:07 PM »

Not sure what happened to Liverpool. 4-1 was merciful to them. Absolutely brutal.

I thought the battle between spots 2-3-4 would become tight in this group, but it seems like the real battle is between 1-2-3. Rangers were absolutely atrocious against Ajax with an xG of 0.09. I still think they should be able to get at least some points at Ibrox, but with Ajax as former most likely potential contender for spot 3 and this goal difference, I think it is overwhelmingly likely Rangers will end up fourth.

Hoping for an Ajax upset at Anfield next week.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #657 on: September 09, 2022, 09:47:44 PM »

Despite not having any British Football for the foreseeable future (presumably those games will either be canceled outright or tacked on to the back end of the schedule somewhere), there's still a juicy matchup or two elsewhere in the world this weekend.

There's the Sud Derby between Bayern Munich and Vfb Stuttgart and a high-profile Borussia Dortmund/RB Leipzig clash tomorrow for Bundesliga action and Lyon/Monaco on Sunday for Ligue 1 action.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #658 on: September 10, 2022, 01:49:04 AM »

Not sure what happened to Liverpool. 4-1 was merciful to them. Absolutely brutal.

I thought the battle between spots 2-3-4 would become tight in this group, but it seems like the real battle is between 1-2-3. Rangers were absolutely atrocious against Ajax with an xG of 0.09. I still think they should be able to get at least some points at Ibrox, but with Ajax as former most likely potential contender for spot 3 and this goal difference, I think it is overwhelmingly likely Rangers will end up fourth.

Hoping for an Ajax upset at Anfield next week.

I'm pulling for Rangers and Ajax to make it out of the group.

Ajax may realistically still be able to do it (before the competition started, I was predicting Liverpool and Ajax would make it out of the group), but realistically I always thought Rangers would finish last in the group.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #659 on: September 10, 2022, 04:59:43 AM »

I have to wonder, if following Ellzabeth II's death, the the British Clubs still taking part in European Football (Liverpool, Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Celtic, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, Heart of Midlothian, West Ham United) will continue in their respective competitions, or if they will withdraw.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #660 on: September 10, 2022, 05:50:04 AM »

I have to wonder, if following Ellzabeth II's death, the the British Clubs still taking part in European Football (Liverpool, Rangers, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Celtic, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, Heart of Midlothian, West Ham United) will continue in their respective competitions, or if they will withdraw.
They will play, UEFA confirmed it yesterday. Other sports associations in the UK don't even cancel their games this weekend; they will honor the Queen before the games.

And some of these clubs don't have any love lost for the Queen in the first place. Unfortunately, I expect a "minute of silence" filled with intense booing at Anfield, and it would have been the same if Celtic were to play at home.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #661 on: September 10, 2022, 07:13:33 AM »

They will play, UEFA confirmed it yesterday. Other sports associations in the UK don't even cancel their games this weekend; they will honor the Queen before the games.

And some of these clubs don't have any love lost for the Queen in the first place. Unfortunately, I expect a "minute of silence" filled with intense booing at Anfield, and it would have been the same if Celtic were to play at home.

Why at Anfield? I know the whole story with Celtic, but what would Liverpool have against the Queen even if it's a leftwing city?

Also, boo Celtic! Go Rangers!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: September 10, 2022, 07:20:46 AM »

Why at Anfield? I know the whole story with Celtic, but what would Liverpool have against the Queen even if it's a leftwing city?
The whole "we're not English, we're Scouse" thing + the sentiment that the Royal Family didn't pay sufficient attention to the victims of the Hillsborough Disaster + the city's general left-wing bent as you mentioned (in a rather different way than in a city like Manchester, due to their different identity - see point 1).

Just have a look at the quote tweets for Liverpool's tweet on the Queen's passing, which came a lot later than the other PL clubs' response and has reactions turned off for a reason.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #663 on: September 10, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »

Want to pick with the big boys?

https://atlasafterdark.freeforums.net/thread/12256
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #664 on: September 11, 2022, 09:17:15 AM »

Wrong type of football.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #665 on: September 11, 2022, 06:09:05 PM »

Whoops: shows me for merely glancing at thread titles!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #666 on: September 12, 2022, 02:11:48 AM »

After six matches, Union Berlin is atop the Bundesliga, and Bayern Munich is in third.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #667 on: September 12, 2022, 04:08:07 PM »

Most fixtures of the upcoming Premier League matchweek will be back; however, the Manchester United v. Leeds and Chelsea v. Liverpool games (and the Brighton v. Crystal Palace game) will be postponed.

On the UEL front, the Arsenal v. PSV game got postponed.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #668 on: September 13, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »

Spurs and Barcelona lose! Smiley Liverpool sadly win...

Go Shakhtar and Benfica!
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #669 on: September 13, 2022, 04:37:39 PM »

And Porto... Ridiculous. Embarrassed  Embarrassed

Tomorrow, let's go Juventus! Cool
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #670 on: September 14, 2022, 04:33:08 PM »

Messi, Neymar, Mbappe all score. Disgusting.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #671 on: September 14, 2022, 06:25:26 PM »

And Porto... Ridiculous. Embarrassed  Embarrassed

Tomorrow, let's go Juventus! Cool

This has been quite a depressing series of matches for Porto fans, hasn't it... I can only hope for a miraculous comeback against Leverkusen next, for us to even hope to have a shot at this.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #672 on: September 14, 2022, 06:35:22 PM »

This has been quite a depressing series of matches for Porto fans, hasn't it... I can only hope for a miraculous comeback against Leverkusen next, for us to even hope to have a shot at this.

I don't know to be honest. The team was already in a bad place and the situation is now even more complicated after Sérgio Conceição's car, with his family and young kids inside, was attacked and vandalized with stones as he was leaving the stadium. Porto has this amazing capacity of reaching high results and then fall to a big depression immediately.

I really hope they can put their act together.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #673 on: September 16, 2022, 05:24:34 AM »

Sherrif Tiraspol fails to capture last year's magic, loses to Manchester United 2-0 in yesterday's Europa League action.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: September 16, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2022, 04:50:48 PM by DavidB. »

Sad week. Didn't want to believe my prediction here would come true, but it seems likely at this point. Napoli's shock win over Liverpool screwed up Ajax' chances from the start. Liverpool were always going to bounce back. Ajax fans are really angry now, but I can't blame the squad for losing 2-1 in one of the final minutes against a team like Liverpool. Based on the game, 5-0 wouldn't have been undeserved either (that, however, would be something to be angry about).

I don't know to be honest. The team was already in a bad place and the situation is now even more complicated after Sérgio Conceição's car, with his family and young kids inside, was attacked and vandalized with stones as he was leaving the stadium.
That's really sad to hear and unacceptable... do you think this is the reason Francisco Conceiçao is absent at Ajax again? He's missed quite a few games already, flying back and forth for family-related stuff. Also, do you know why he wanted to leave Porto in the first place? And why are Benfica and Sporting fans making jokes about him and swimming pools?

Sherrif Tiraspol fails to capture last year's magic, loses to Manchester United 2-0 in yesterday's Europa League action.
Crazy to see a player like Ronaldo in the UEL. Painful to watch, and I'm not even a fan.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies