Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:15:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 48
Author Topic: Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 33050 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »

Manchester United still has too much individual talent to actually be relegated, but if they keep playing like they have been the past two weeks, it's a real possibility.
Remember when you said Arsenal would get relegated last season?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »

Manchester United still has too much individual talent to actually be relegated, but if they keep playing like they have been the past two weeks, it's a real possibility.
Remember when you said Arsenal would get relegated last season?

I did. I'm being a little bit more cautious here, because I do feel that Manchester United has way too much individual talent to be in any real danger of relegation, but they can't have results like today's.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #577 on: August 14, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »

The whole "Cristiano is in, Cristiano is out" soapopera doesn't help either.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #578 on: August 15, 2022, 07:22:39 PM »

The top 9 Italian clubs (no disrespect to Spezia intended) all win their opening match though Inter and Fiorentina both made their fans sweat it out.

Round 2 will have two sets of those 9 squaring off, but don't mind me as my eyes peak ahead to Round 3 as Dybala hopes to make a statement in his return to Allianz. That will be can't miss action between the two clubs with the highest potential to sneakily steal the league title from the grasp of Inter (deja vu all over again) but also the highest potential to fall all the way to 7th and miss out on everything. (Don't at me when they draw or when they finish 3rd and 4th in the league table)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #579 on: August 16, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »

FIFA has suspended India's FA due to undue influence from third parties, and stripped them of the right to hold the Women's U-17 World Cup, which is scheduled to be held in October.

FIFA has suspended India's football association because of "undue influence from third parties," amid concerns over legal interference after India's Supreme Court appointed a three-member committee to take over the day-to-day operations of the federation.

FIFA stated in a press release Tuesday that the "third party" involvement in India's football association, the All India Football Federation (AIFF), went against their statues, adding that the suspension would be lifted if the Supreme Court's ruling is repealed and "the AIFF administration regains full control of the AIFF's daily affairs."

As part of the move, FIFA has also stripped India's hosting of the under-17 Women's World Cup.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #580 on: August 16, 2022, 10:07:03 PM »

Potentially fun match tomorrow for Champions League Qualifying.

Dyanmo Kyiv vs Benfica. This leg, the Dynamo Leg, is being played at Stadion Miejski in Lodz, Poland, due to the ongoing Russia/Ukraine war.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #581 on: August 21, 2022, 03:23:18 AM »

Could Manchester United's Harry Maguire be headed to Chelsea in a swap for Christian Pulisic?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #582 on: August 21, 2022, 03:30:47 AM »

Could Manchester United's Harry Maguire be headed to Chelsea in a swap for Christian Pulisic?

That would be a decent deal for Pulisic, but if he wants to be in top form ahead of the World Cup he needs to be starting regularly, and I'm not sure Ten Hag would start him ahead of Rashford or Sancho.

If I were Pulisic, I'd hope someone like Arsenal made a bid for him. Pulisic is a clear upgrade over what Arsenal has at his position in my opinion, so he'd start regularly, which he needs in advance of the World Cup.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: August 21, 2022, 04:01:29 AM »

We had an upset yesterday in the Bundesliga, as Werder Bremen came back from two goals down to defeat Borussia Dortmund to win 3-2.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #584 on: August 21, 2022, 07:47:17 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2022, 09:43:29 AM by Mike88 »

Weird and hilarious penalties this weekend in the Portuguese leagues:

Feirense penalty against Leixões (2nd league):

Froze. Attention to how Jardel, Feirense striker, has taken a penalty in Portuguese football

Sporting's Pedro Porro hilarious defense to a Porto attack in yesterday's Porto-Sporting match:

Of course he was expelled and a penalty was given to Porto. In the end, Porto won 3-0 against Sporting.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #585 on: August 21, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »

I am a Palmeiras fan due to family tradition
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #586 on: August 21, 2022, 09:46:39 AM »

What's your opinion of Abel "vou embora" Ferreira? Almost every Brazilian sport pundit seems to dislike him, even though he wins, wins and wins.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #587 on: August 21, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »

What's your opinion of Abel "vou embora" Ferreira? Almost every Brazilian sport pundit seems to dislike him, even though he wins, wins and wins.
He's unfairly maligned
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: August 21, 2022, 10:48:09 AM »

Pretty big upset today, as Leeds United crushed Chelsea 3-0.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #589 on: August 21, 2022, 11:18:25 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2022, 11:21:57 AM by Mike88 »

He's unfairly maligned
Why do you think that happens?

Indeed. Also, what's all this about the United-Liverpool match tomorrow possibly being postponed?
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #590 on: August 21, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »

He's unfairly maligned

Indeed. Also, what's all this about the United-Liverpool match tomorrow possibly being postponed?
I don't know
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #591 on: August 21, 2022, 12:28:56 PM »

The new look Bayern Munich looks amazing as they crush VfL Bochum 7-0, with five different players scoring.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #592 on: August 21, 2022, 12:29:47 PM »

He's unfairly maligned

Apparently the reason behind it is a fan protest against Manchester United's owners, the Glazers.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #593 on: August 21, 2022, 01:01:59 PM »

Newcastle blow a 3-1 lead, and Manchester City came back to level it 3-3 to gain a point. This result keeps Arsenal at the top of the Premier League table.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #594 on: August 21, 2022, 01:10:18 PM »

The new look Bayern Munich looks amazing as they crush VfL Bochum 7-0, with five different players scoring.

It's not really a "new look" Bayern Munich. They swapped out Lewandowski for Liverpool's best player and played him in an already great team.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #595 on: August 21, 2022, 01:41:52 PM »

It's not really a "new look" Bayern Munich. They swapped out Lewandowski for Liverpool's best player and played him in an already great team.

Swapping out the best player in recent Bundesliga history for Sadio Mane is dramatically remaking your offense in my opinion.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #596 on: August 21, 2022, 02:43:45 PM »

It's been a weekend of upsets so far. Joining Borussia Dortmund and Chelsea in the surprise loss column is Atletico Madrid, which fell 2-0 to Villarreal.

Unai Emery's side joins Real Madrid, Real Betis and Osasuna at a league leading six points, with only the Real Sociadad/Barcelona match left to play this week.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #597 on: August 21, 2022, 06:13:35 PM »

PSG looks a lot better than they did last season. They've won their first four competitve fixtures (the Trophee des Champions against Nantes and three Ligue 1 Games against Clermont, Montpellier and LOSC Lille) by a combined score of 21-3.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: August 22, 2022, 03:27:23 PM »

Apparently signing one player really can make all of the difference. Just days after officially signing Casemiro from Real Madrid, Manchester United is steamrolling through Liverpool 2-0 at Old Trafford, despite Liverpool having possessed the ball for almost double the amount of time of Man U.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2022, 03:45:57 PM »

Apparently signing one player really can make all of the difference. Just days after officially signing Casemiro from Real Madrid, Manchester United is steamrolling through Liverpool 2-0 at Old Trafford, despite Liverpool having possessed the ball for almost double the amount of time of Man U.
Casemiro was literally watching from an executive box.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies