Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:39:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49]
Author Topic: Association Football 2023/2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 34950 times)
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 17, 2024, 08:45:57 PM »

Arsenal lose to Bayern 3-2 on aggregate. Manchester City lose to Real Madrid 4-3 on penalties after drawing 4-4 on aggregate.

England's hopes for an extra UCL spot are fading fast.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1201 on: April 20, 2024, 06:56:01 AM »

Leverkusen officially champions of Germany, still in the hunt for a treble, and 5 league matches from immortality. Sky's the limit for Xabi Alonso.

Congratulations to Leverkusen!

Although I do like Bayern, it's good to see someone else finally win the Bundesliga for once, and frankly if I had to see someone else win, Leverkusen is the team I would have wanted to see do it (beyond Xabi Alonso having done a tremendous job, the Cologne area is the area I know best in Germany, I've been several times so I guess it's the closest thing to a "local" team for me in the Bundesliga lol).

And on that note, I think it's possible that Leverkusen may finally be a more sustainable longer term rival to Bayern than other challengers in my lifetime (Dortmund, Bremen, Schalke, Leipzig, etc) exactly due to the fact that it's a club from the Cologne area. I think part of the reason that Bayern had managed to dominate the Bundesliga so overwhelmingly for so long is exactly because it was the only big city club (and also the only club with a real pre-1990s history) in Germany that didn't go into severe decline in the 1990s (like for example Hamburg or FC Koln). I don't think it was ever going to be sustainable to have Bayern's main rivals be from such smaller cities.

Now finally, for the first time in decades, you have a challenger from one of Germany's main metropolitan areas.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1202 on: April 20, 2024, 07:12:52 AM »

And now for my European semi-finals predictions:

Champions League:
Borussia Dortmund vs Paris Saint-Germain
Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid

Europa League:
Marseille vs Atalanta
Roma vs Bayer Leverkusen

Europa Conference League:
Aston Villa vs Olympiacos
Fiorentina vs Club Brugge

Let's see if I do better with my predictions this round compared to last round (I'm glad that I got PSG right though!)

And at this stage I'll give my predictions for competition winners as well, let's see how it holds up at the end of the season:

Champions League: Paris Saint-Germain (tbf a prediction of the gut and heart moreso than of the mind)

Europa League: Bayer Leverkusen

Europa Conference League: Aston Villa
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1203 on: April 24, 2024, 05:53:37 AM »

TWO STARS FOR INTER MILAN! This has been an amazing Serie A season for the team, although in terms of other competitions it was a pale shadow of 2022/2023. My pick for the squad's MVP is Federico Dimarco, a wing-back who leaves his mark on so many goals and has an amazingly yellow-card-free record.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1204 on: April 24, 2024, 06:03:00 PM »

TWO STARS FOR INTER MILAN! This has been an amazing Serie A season for the team, although in terms of other competitions it was a pale shadow of 2022/2023. My pick for the squad's MVP is Federico Dimarco, a wing-back who leaves his mark on so many goals and has an amazingly yellow-card-free record.

Nothing sweeter than clinching a milestone title against your local rivals.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies