Should Roe V. Wade Overturned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:42:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Roe V. Wade Overturned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Roe V. Wade be overturned?
Yes and abortions should be banned

Yes

No but The Hyde Amendment shouldn't be overturned either

No but I support federal funding for abortions with some restrictions

No and there should be no restrictions on abortion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Should Roe V. Wade Overturned?  (Read 5031 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: December 11, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »

As much as it pains me to say it, yes. Judicial activism isn't ok just because you agree with the outcomes.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »

As much as it pains me to say it, yes. Judicial activism isn't ok just because you agree with the outcomes.

The legal reasoning in Roe is perfectly easy to understand as consistent with the Constitution and Supreme Court precedent if you aren't being willfully obtuse or acting in bad faith.

Why would I be "deliberately obtuse" or "act in bad faith" in order to criticize Roe? I already said that I agree with the effects of the ruling, as I'm pro-choice. But the argument that the Due Process Clause guarantees a right to an abortion is extremely flimsy-- and even if it were stronger, it wouldn't be strong enough to outweigh the fact that the police powers (which are delegated to the states) explicitly include the regulation of public health. Constitutionally speaking, it should be fairly clear that this is a state issue.

I'm happy to have a discussion about whether judicial activism is ever valid or called for, which is an interesting legal and philosophical question. But I don't take seriously the argument that Roe was not an activist decision.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »

The legal reasoning in Roe is perfectly easy to understand as consistent with the Constitution and Supreme Court precedent if you aren't being willfully obtuse or acting in bad faith.

Why would I be "deliberately obtuse" or "act in bad faith" in order to criticize Roe? I already said that I agree with the effects of the ruling, as I'm pro-choice. But the argument that the Due Process Clause guarantees a right to an abortion is extremely flimsy-- and even if it were stronger, it wouldn't be strong enough to outweigh the fact that the police powers (which are delegated to the states) explicitly include the regulation of public health. Constitutionally speaking, it should be fairly clear that this is a state issue.

I'm happy to have a discussion about whether judicial activism is ever valid or called for, which is an interesting legal and philosophical question. But I don't take seriously the argument that Roe was not an activist decision.

What state interest is there in abortion, other than regulation to guarantee safe procedures? More specifically, what state interest justifies outlawing or severely restricting abortion?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The 10th Amendment explicitly delegates the powers not given to Congress to the states, so whether the states can show an "interest" in the matter isn't really relevant.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »

nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

The Court did not invoke the Equal Protection Clause, and it is probably somewhat weaker in supporting the case than the Due Process Clause, but they could reasonably have done so. The inability to control whether or not she wants to have a child evidently has a wide variety of discriminatory practical impacts on women, and would be a major cause of gender inequality.

I would actually say that the Equal Protection Clause argument is the winning argument here, and stronger than the reasoning the court used. At the very least, it would've been more convincing to me than invoking the right to privacy, based on the nebulous principle of "liberal neutrality" you describe. The fact that the Constitution generally espouses certain universal principles doesn't really give us any concrete way to put those principles into practice, especially in situations like these.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies