Should Roe V. Wade Overturned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:36:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Roe V. Wade Overturned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should Roe V. Wade be overturned?
Yes and abortions should be banned

Yes

No but The Hyde Amendment shouldn't be overturned either

No but I support federal funding for abortions with some restrictions

No and there should be no restrictions on abortion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Should Roe V. Wade Overturned?  (Read 4997 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »

Option 1 is hilarious considering that a ban is going to stop very few abortions from actually happening.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »

Option 1 is hilarious considering that a ban is going to stop very few abortions from actually happening.
Objectively incorrect.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »

Yes. People shouldn't have an exclusive right to an abortion. It's like saying murder should be legal under this surreptitious practice. The decision was based on flawed reasoning of a right to privacy when it flies in the face of the 5th Amendment, "no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws ....". In this case, the Roe decision deprives a person of life, irrespective of legal person-hood.

Overturning Roe would leave the issue to the states to decide the matter. Using their police powers under the 10th amendment, states should penalize doctors for performing this barbarism. It is contrary to the Hippocratic Oath. Any doctor who performs an abortion should lose their license to practice medicine.

The majority of Americans don't support abortion after the first trimester anyway.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2021, 06:10:05 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2021, 06:14:43 AM by MarkD »

It should be replaced by federal legislation that provides clear protections for abortion rights in all 50 states.

Where in the Constitution does Congress get the power to pass a federal law that legalizes abortion and prohibits state governments from banning abortion? Does Congress get that power from the Preamble to the Constitution, in particular the last phrase, "to secure the blessings of liberty?" Does Congress get that power from the Commerce Clause? From the power to enforce the Nineteenth Amendment (guaranteeing women the equal right to vote)? Where else in the Constitution might the power to guarantee abortion rights come from?

You might answer that by saying that Congress gets the power to protect abortion rights from Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment, which empowers Congress to enforce all provisions in the Fourteenth. If Roe and Casey are NOT overturned, and Congress passes a law to enforce the principles that are currently in Roe and/or Casey, then Congress would not be REPLACING Roe, like you said in your post, Congress would be supplementing Roe. If the Supreme Court does overturn Roe and Casey, then Congress will be left powerless to try to enforce the principles that were in Roe, as I said previously in this thread - Reply #12.

Yes. People shouldn't have an exclusive right to an abortion. It's like saying murder should be legal under this surreptitious practice. The decision was based on flawed reasoning of a right to privacy when it flies in the face of the 5th Amendment, "no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws ....". In this case, the Roe decision deprives a person of life, irrespective of legal person-hood.

Overturning Roe would leave the issue to the states to decide the matter. Using their police powers under the 10th amendment, states should penalize doctors for performing this barbarism. It is contrary to the Hippocratic Oath. Any doctor who performs an abortion should lose their license to practice medicine.

The majority of Americans don't support abortion after the first trimester anyway.

In your first paragraph, you're quoting the Fourteenth Amendment (Section 1), not the Fifth Amendment. The Fifth, besides having a Due Process Clause, also has a Grand Jury Clause, a Takings Clause, a Self-Incrimination Clause, and a Double Jeopardy Clause. That's a minor point. To the rest of your argument in the first paragraph: there is nothing in the Constitution that resolves the legal question of whether a fetus is a person and whether fetuses have rights protected by the Constitution. Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment begins with a sentence that defines citizenship as persons BORN in the United States. Fetuses are not citizens, but it also happens that they are not non-citizens (aliens) either. Fetuses are simply not persons recognized by the Constitution at all. The Due Process Clause(s) do not prohibit doctors from killing children after birth; statutes do that. The Due Process Clause(s) prohibit government from depriving any person of life without due process of law.

So your second paragraph is a little bit better, Spark, because it recognizes that under the Tenth Amendment, it should be up to states whether to ban abortion. (And you think that all 50 states should ban it. Good luck with that.)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2021, 07:31:02 AM »

It should be replaced by federal legislation that provides clear protections for abortion rights in all 50 states.

Where in the Constitution does Congress get the power to pass a federal law that legalizes abortion and prohibits state governments from banning abortion? Does Congress get that power from the Commerce Clause?
Yes.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »

Objectively incorrect.

You really think that this is going to stop women from seeking unsafe, underground methods? Millions of clandestine abortions happen every year in countries where they are illegal.

You're not saving babies, bud.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »

As much as it pains me to say it, yes. Judicial activism isn't ok just because you agree with the outcomes.

The legal reasoning in Roe is perfectly easy to understand as consistent with the Constitution and Supreme Court precedent if you aren't being willfully obtuse or acting in bad faith.

Why would I be "deliberately obtuse" or "act in bad faith" in order to criticize Roe? I already said that I agree with the effects of the ruling, as I'm pro-choice. But the argument that the Due Process Clause guarantees a right to an abortion is extremely flimsy-- and even if it were stronger, it wouldn't be strong enough to outweigh the fact that the police powers (which are delegated to the states) explicitly include the regulation of public health. Constitutionally speaking, it should be fairly clear that this is a state issue.

I'm happy to have a discussion about whether judicial activism is ever valid or called for, which is an interesting legal and philosophical question. But I don't take seriously the argument that Roe was not an activist decision.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »

No; in fact I will go against what I believe is the general forum consensus, even among a lot of pro-choicers, by saying that I think that Roe was a perfectly legally sound decision.

nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

I do understand why many people find it very difficult to see how a constitutional right to abortion follows from this. However, I think it is necessary to think a bit deeper about what it is really saying. This, at least in my mind, is a wonderful little clause imbued with the spirit of what might be called liberal neutrality; essentially what it is saying is that the burden of proof must be on the state to justify restrictions on personal liberty. IIRC, Blackmun has received some flak for mentioning in support of his opinion that public opinion in the United States had reached no consensus as to the (im)morality of abortion, but I think that he was in fact absolutely right to do so - the inherently subjective question of at what point a foetus constitutes a life proves that the aforementioned burden of proof is not met as far as abortion bans are concerned. The Court called this a ‘right to privacy’, but in my opinion this somewhat misses the point, and might better have been labelled a ‘right to personal autonomy’. Nevertheless, its interpretation of the Due Process Clause was broadly correct.

nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

The Court did not invoke the Equal Protection Clause, and it is probably somewhat weaker in supporting the case than the Due Process Clause, but they could reasonably have done so. The inability to control whether or not she wants to have a child evidently has a wide variety of discriminatory practical impacts on women, and would be a major cause of gender inequality.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 07:14:25 PM »

As much as it pains me to say it, yes. Judicial activism isn't ok just because you agree with the outcomes.

The legal reasoning in Roe is perfectly easy to understand as consistent with the Constitution and Supreme Court precedent if you aren't being willfully obtuse or acting in bad faith.

Why would I be "deliberately obtuse" or "act in bad faith" in order to criticize Roe? I already said that I agree with the effects of the ruling, as I'm pro-choice. But the argument that the Due Process Clause guarantees a right to an abortion is extremely flimsy-- and even if it were stronger, it wouldn't be strong enough to outweigh the fact that the police powers (which are delegated to the states) explicitly include the regulation of public health. Constitutionally speaking, it should be fairly clear that this is a state issue.

I'm happy to have a discussion about whether judicial activism is ever valid or called for, which is an interesting legal and philosophical question. But I don't take seriously the argument that Roe was not an activist decision.

What state interest is there in abortion, other than regulation to guarantee safe procedures? More specifically, what state interest justifies outlawing or severely restricting abortion?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 07:17:22 PM »

essentially what it is saying is that the burden of proof must be on the state to justify restrictions on personal liberty.

^^^^^^^

Crux of the matter.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »

What state interest is there in abortion, other than regulation to guarantee safe procedures? More specifically, what state interest justifies outlawing or severely restricting abortion?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The 10th Amendment explicitly delegates the powers not given to Congress to the states, so whether the states can show an "interest" in the matter isn't really relevant.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »

nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

The Court did not invoke the Equal Protection Clause, and it is probably somewhat weaker in supporting the case than the Due Process Clause, but they could reasonably have done so. The inability to control whether or not she wants to have a child evidently has a wide variety of discriminatory practical impacts on women, and would be a major cause of gender inequality.

I would actually say that the Equal Protection Clause argument is the winning argument here, and stronger than the reasoning the court used. At the very least, it would've been more convincing to me than invoking the right to privacy, based on the nebulous principle of "liberal neutrality" you describe. The fact that the Constitution generally espouses certain universal principles doesn't really give us any concrete way to put those principles into practice, especially in situations like these.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2021, 07:32:39 PM »

The Due process clause is an argument in favor of the pro life side and not pro choice one
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »

It seems like a pretty natural extension of Griswold to me.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »

Objectively incorrect.

You really think that this is going to stop women from seeking unsafe, underground methods? Millions of clandestine abortions happen every year in countries where they are illegal.

You're not saving babies, bud.
Does criminalizing murder make murder happen less? Does criminalizing robbery make robbery happen less?
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »

Roe should be thrown on the ash heap of history. It's based on unsound legal reasoning and expanded an utterly immoral practice. 
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2021, 08:29:22 PM »

Yes, and the Constitution should be amended to outlaw abortion nationwide.  There isn't room for compromise on this issue.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »

I think we should replace it with an unrestricted right to abortion(the government should be required to fund it) up until the fetus is developed enough for personhood(somewhere between 12-24 weeks as far as I know), after which point it should be banned unless the mother is endangered by carrying the pregnancy to term and/or the baby will not survive.

Forced birth is horrific, but killing a baby is even worse.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2021, 06:42:14 PM »

Yes, and the Constitution should be amended to outlaw abortion nationwide.  There isn't room for compromise on this issue.

On what basis should abortion be outlawed nationwide?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »

If roe is overturned (and it will be) several states have laws in place that will do so.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2022, 06:57:41 PM by Ishan »

If roe is overturned (and it will be) several states have laws in place that will do so.
People will still do it illegally, so it would be pretty hard to end all abortions, and this is from someone who supporting overturning Roe and considers themselves to be pro-life.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2022, 05:50:13 PM »

Yes and replaced with a federal law regulating abortion to where it is allowed in limited circumstances.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 09:07:32 PM »

People will still do it illegally, so it would be pretty hard to end all abortions, and this is from someone who supporting overturning Roe and considers themselves to be pro-life.

If you are pro life then why support the party who is not
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 09:09:47 PM »

14th amendment.

No one should be deprived of life or liberty without due process of law.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2022, 02:37:33 AM »

14th amendment.

No one should be deprived of life or liberty without due process of law.

what
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies