How do people with different music preferences vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  How do people with different music preferences vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do people with different music preferences vote?  (Read 985 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »

I think country fans generally vote Republican, pop, rap, R+B, and soul fans tend to vote Democrat, and that rock fans are a swing demographic. What do you guys think?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 09:10:01 AM »

I think country fans generally vote Republican, pop, rap, R+B, and soul fans tend to vote Democrat, and that rock fans are a swing demographic. What do you guys think?

Rock is really diverse. You have everything from fundie rock groups to neocon emos like Godsmack and A7X to people  like RAM, Green Day, and to a lesser extent Metallica, Disturbed, and  SoaD etc...
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »

You’re probably broadly right, although “pop” is so broad and, uh, popular I’d imagine its fans have pretty diverse views too. Rock would have at one time had a solidly Democratic/left-leaning fanbase, but sadly it’s largely now seen as “safe” and “boomer” music, no longer as transgressive or cutting edge as it once was. Following the same trajectory as jazz pretty much. It’s currently in the stage of “music your parents listened to,” which is where jazz was when rock was hip, and after jazz itself was transgressive and cutting edge. Perhaps when the boomers die off rock will, like jazz now, have a niche but hip and left-leaning base of NPR listeners.
n59690
Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »

I'd say k-pop fans tend to be very Democratic

K-pop fans tend to be on the young side, left leaning on social issues and with a tendency to vote Dem.

K-pop fans have a keen tendency to look for interesting bits of culture outside of their own, unlike say, country music, which perpetually explores and celebrates the American rural culture and its peculiarities. k-pop fans might not be the "Leave American culture 100% as it is" kind of people.

K-pop fans are idealistic. In general, k-pop tends to bea sort of "rainbow marshmallow cloud poetry" where the world seems perfect. I'd say k-pop fans have a higher than average tendecy to believe in expanded healthcare and maternity leave, which align with Dem proposals.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 10:58:55 AM »

Country fans seems to vote very republican with a notable exception
The genre talks about mostly rural life and cowboy attitudes and the fans who like country are "I don't need to adapt to city life" the problem is Nashville is very liberal and has more diverse music even if country is the hub here. The chicks are a huge exception, they criticized Bush 43 over the iraq war and the famous phrase "shut up and sing"- to stop talking politics and appeal to your fans stuff.
Regional Mexican (Mexican country music) fans are mostly Democrat but with their Catholic beliefs they are pro life. 
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 07:16:44 PM »

Country fans seems to vote very republican with a notable exception
The genre talks about mostly rural life and cowboy attitudes and the fans who like country are "I don't need to adapt to city life" the problem is Nashville is very liberal and has more diverse music even if country is the hub here. The chicks are a huge exception, they criticized Bush 43 over the iraq war and the famous phrase "shut up and sing"- to stop talking politics and appeal to your fans stuff.
Regional Mexican (Mexican country music) fans are mostly Democrat but with their Catholic beliefs they are pro life. 
I mostly agree with this, though country these days is pop but with guitars and less overtly sexual lyrics
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »

Country and metal are Republican. Pop and rap are Democratic. Everything else is mixed.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:52:55 PM »

Country and metal are Republican. Pop and rap are Democratic. Everything else is mixed.

Metal is actually quite left leaning given its core demographic base being largely constituted of white men.
Redban

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 09:30:46 AM by Redban »

Metal is actually quite left leaning given its core demographic base being largely constituted of white men.

I thought white men were the main Republican base. Maybe you mean young white men? (and young white men would be lean Republican or swing-group, I believe).
Redban

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »

Rock is really diverse. You have everything from fundie rock groups to neocon emos like Godsmack and A7X to people  like RAM, Green Day, and to a lesser extent Metallica, Disturbed, and  SoaD etc...

The folks who listen to classic rock (Eagles, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Beatles, The Doors etc.) are probably deep Republican
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »

Classical music seems heavily Jewish or East Asian.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:50 AM »

What are you talking about? White men are the most right-leaning group.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 06:39:34 PM »

I think he means for they’re way more liberal than the white male population at large (even if still possibly republican)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 04:45:10 PM »

I think he means for they’re way more liberal than the white male population at large (even if still possibly republican)

Ah, so he probably meant to say "despite its core demographic base" rather than "given"
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 06:37:16 PM »

Ah, so he probably meant to say "despite its core demographic base" rather than "given"

Probably yes. Also I’d probably agree with that and say they’re maybe a lean Obama lean Trump group
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies