Jeopardy! Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:15:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jeopardy! Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Jeopardy! Megathread  (Read 8988 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2022, 10:49:56 AM »

With 39 games & $1,319,800 now behind her, Amy is now the sole record-holder of the 2nd-longest winning streak in J! history.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2022, 01:37:54 PM »

With 39 games & $1,319,800 now behind her, Amy is now the sole record-holder of the 2nd-longest winning streak in J! history.

Wouldn't it be something if she breaks Ken's record while he's hosting?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be something if she breaks Ken's record while he's hosting?

Can't wait to see him happily take it in stride & congratulate her, presuming, of course, that she indeed makes it that far.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2022, 08:24:36 PM »

It's still very unlikely, though by no means impossible, that Amy will overtake Ken.  She needs 35 more wins.  If we somewhat arbitrarily assume she has a 90% chance of winning each individual game, then the probability of winning 35 in a row are only about 2%.  At a 95% chance per game, it would go up to 16%.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2022, 08:51:29 PM »

It's still very unlikely, though by no means impossible, that Amy will overtake Ken.  She needs 35 more wins.  If we somewhat arbitrarily assume she has a 90% chance of winning each individual game, then the probability of winning 35 in a row are only about 2%.  At a 95% chance per game, it would go up to 16%.

Now all that needs to happen is somebody with at least an equal knowledge base as her gets the call & gets lucky by finding both of the DDs in DJ to keep it from being a runaway so that it can then be decided in FJ. It's unlikely to happen in any given game, but as you note, the dice need to be rolled another 35 more times before she can be crowned "Ken 2.0."

Also, just to take note of tonight's game: wow! 40 games! Utter insanity, & I mean that in a good way. We now have our first post-Ken contestant to break the 40-game barrier! I don't remember Ken's original run all that well, as I was 4 at the time, but I can't believe I've been alive to witness, in such a short span, James' 32, only to think nobody would surpass his 32 for a good while, only to then see Matt do it 2 years later, so I start to think nobody would be able to surpass 38 for at least a bit of time, & yet now here we are, haha. But I'll be damned, I get to say "for (at least) 40 days and for 40 nights, I saw Amy Schneider on Jeopardy!"
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:44 PM »

After forty consecutive victories, Amy Schneider has been defeated.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2022, 09:43:38 PM »

After forty consecutive victories, Amy Schneider has been defeated.

She had a very impressive run for sure.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2022, 09:12:02 PM »

I just now saw Wednesday's episode (I DVR them so my son and I can watch them together, usually a few days at a time) and I'm floored that Amy missed that Final.  It was an instaget for me and seemed like an easy one for someone with her breadth of knowledge.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »

I just now saw Wednesday's episode (I DVR them so my son and I can watch them together, usually a few days at a time) and I'm floored that Amy missed that Final.  It was an instaget for me and seemed like an easy one for someone with her breadth of knowledge.

Yeah, pretty surprising. I can see blanking on a country ending in H and panicking, but just knowing the 10 most populated countries in the world (or at least being able to rattle off 15 large ones that include all of the top 10) should be pretty basic for someone who can win Jeopardy! once, much less 40 times. I wonder if she was just worn out.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2022, 05:20:42 AM »

I knew it had to be something on the Indian Subcontinent, and the only country that fits that description is Bangladesh.

I got it right and the forty day Champion didn't.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2022, 10:14:06 PM »

What started as a mere meme proposal on the Jeopardy! subreddit in early/mid-2019 parodying the UToC but for the contestants that James was beating, is now (mostly) a reality: as a result of formatting issues with the primetime College Championship, the 4th highest-winning winner in the semifinalists won't be making the finals, so EP Michael Davies decided to solve the apparent unfairness there - a semifinals winner not being in the finals!? Especially when J! itself already proved in 1990 that a 4-person stage is easily workable - by creating what he first thought about creating when Jessica Stephens beat Matt Amodio but still lost to Jonathan Fisher by $401, & later discovered was proposed on the Internet long before him: a second-chance tournament, composed of the best 'losing' contestants (best in some capacity, anyway: the exact criterion are TBD; I can't imagine it's just those who are otherwise the 16th-30th seeds, though, because Jessica wouldn't qualify for that even though Davies explicitly said that she'll be back), with the winner given a spot in the ToC. Man, freakin' Davo is quickly enshrining himself up there with Merv Griffin & Harry Friedman in J!'s EP Hall of Fame!!

Also, the President of Entertainment at Fox told Deadline that Call Me Kat is getting a S3, so Ken Jennings, c'mon down!!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2022, 10:31:20 PM »

What started as a mere meme proposal on the Jeopardy! subreddit in early/mid-2019 parodying the UToC but for the contestants that James was beating, is now (mostly) a reality: as a result of formatting issues with the primetime College Championship, the 4th highest-winning winner in the semifinalists won't be making the finals, so EP Michael Davies decided to solve the apparent unfairness there - a semifinals winner not being in the finals!? Especially when J! itself already proved in 1990 that a 4-person stage is easily workable - by creating what he first thought about creating when Jessica Stephens beat Matt Amodio but still lost to Jonathan Fisher by $401, & later discovered was proposed on the Internet long before him: a second-chance tournament, composed of the best 'losing' contestants (best in some capacity, anyway: the exact criterion are TBD; I can't imagine it's just those who are otherwise the 16th-30th seeds, though, because Jessica wouldn't qualify for that even though Davies explicitly said that she'll be back), with the winner given a spot in the ToC. Man, freakin' Davo is quickly enshrining himself up there with Merv Griffin & Harry Friedman in J!'s EP Hall of Fame!!

Also, the President of Entertainment at Fox told Deadline that Call Me Kat is getting a S3, so Ken Jennings, c'mon down!!

Having watched Ken host for a while and then going back to Mayim, I'm now firmly on Team Ken as permanent host.  The game seems to flow better with him hosting.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2022, 08:21:58 PM »

The new champion, Nick, has to be the calmest contestant I've ever seen on the show.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2022, 09:51:33 AM »

KEN JENNINGS, C'MON DOWN:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »

Jackie, now a 4-day champ whose winnings total $115,100, is legit, & I think she's playing in the manner necessary to potentially go on a long-ish winning streak: she's already proving to be a strong player operating upon a wide base of knowledge, she seems to have gotten the hang of the buzzer down, & according to the buzzer data, she knows not to ring in if she doesn't know the correct response.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2022, 09:39:35 AM »

Jackie, now a 4-day champ whose winnings total $115,100, is legit, & I think she's playing in the manner necessary to potentially go on a long-ish winning streak: she's already proving to be a strong player operating upon a wide base of knowledge, she seems to have gotten the hang of the buzzer down, & according to the buzzer data, she knows not to ring in if she doesn't know the correct response.

Yeah, she's a formidable player.  She reminds me a bit of James Holzhauer.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2022, 07:17:50 AM »

Welp, I guess we jinxed her Tongue Sad
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »

Another day, another superchamp: Mattea Roach secured her 10th win yesterday, bringing her total winnings to $227,601. There've now been 13 players in J! history who've won 10+ games, & 4 of them did so this season. The TOC is so stacked.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2022, 07:45:17 PM »

Another day, another superchamp: Mattea Roach secured her 10th win yesterday, bringing her total winnings to $227,601. There've now been 13 players in J! history who've won 10+ games, & 4 of them did so this season. The TOC is so stacked.

Mattea is a very good and very likable player, but she lucked out big time with some brain-dead wagering from the 3rd-place player in Final. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2022, 10:01:07 PM »

As of tonight's airing, Mattea is now an 18-day champion whose cash winnings total $438,183. In fact, before the Russian attack that targeted Kyiv amidst U.N. Secretary General Guterres' visit there earlier today, she was the top story on the CBC News website for a few hours because she's now far-&-away the winningest Canadian contestant in J! history. Nevertheless, & this is pure speculation but if I were a betting man, I'd be willing to wager that she loses in tomorrow's game & doesn't become a 19-day champ: for one, her statistics - while obviously amazing - still mostly (with the exception of clue accuracy, IIRC) aren't at the level of those who've gone on absurd streaks (i.e., James, Matt, Amy, &, of course, Ken). Plus, she appeared on GMA today, which is foretelling, as all superchamps since James have lost within a couple of days of making their GMA appearance, which makes sense: if she kept winning through most of next week, you'd air the GMA interview on Monday in order to increase J!'s ratings for the week, but by having it today, they're only bumping the show's ratings up for today & tomorrow, a Friday, with any ratings effect presumably lost over the weekend thereafter, so a Thursday interview only makes sense if it's to present her while she still has an already-notable-enough streak length to be Obviously Interesting while simultaneously encouraging people to tune-in for whatever's left of her run's remainder.

Oh, & in hosting news, Sara Haines, host of The Chase, when asked on her insta story today about Ken not returning for this season, responded, "He is very busy with Jeopardy! and you never want to clip someone's wings. What an opportunity, well deserved," which strikes me as her being somebody who knows & probably didn't realize that she was saying too much too soon, or that it hasn't already been announced, but, yeah... the writing's on the wall, y'all! We did it! Ken4Life!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »

Welp, what do I know? Tongue

She didn't lose her 19th!

Go Mattea go!!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2022, 01:15:04 AM »

Oh, & in hosting news, Sara Haines, host of The Chase, when asked on her insta story today about Ken not returning for this season, responded, "He is very busy with Jeopardy! and you never want to clip someone's wings. What an opportunity, well deserved," which strikes me as her being somebody who knows & probably didn't realize that she was saying too much too soon, or that it hasn't already been announced, but, yeah... the writing's on the wall, y'all! We did it! Ken4Life!

I suppose it's possible Ken didn't want to work on multiple game shows at the same time (which would mean he'd leave The Chase  no matter what unless Mayim got the sole hosting job, and Jeopardy! seems insistent on continuing with her as at least a part-time host.)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2022, 07:07:52 PM »

Mattea Roach pulls it out in Final Jeopardy after being behind the whole game--23 day streak with close to $600,000 in total winnings.  Now in 5th place overall in wins and money earned.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2022, 07:27:42 PM »

Mattea Roach pulls it out in Final Jeopardy after being behind the whole game--23 day streak with close to $600,000 in total winnings.  Now in 5th place overall in wins and money earned.

And she also appears to have broken the aforementioned GMA curse that's afflicted all superchamps dating back to James today as well, given that the previous longest interval between GMA appearance & end-of-streak had been Matt's 1 week, which Mattea just beat tonight, so now, the unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a media corporation, ABC, can learn the value of not spoiling the end of a streak, maybe we can too.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2022, 07:31:15 PM »

Ken Jennings, among other winners, has said that for a long streak you sometimes have to be lucky as well as good.  This is the second time Mattea's won with an element of luck, specifically bad wagering by an opponent.  The first time was an asinine bet by an opponent in Final, and this one was Sarah's bet on the last Daily Double.  You've got to bet big in that situation, and she could have made the game a runaway.

(I don't count Sarah not knowing the Final to be luck. Knowledge is the key to the game, and Mattea had the critical piece there and Sarah didn't.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies