What individual election results would have suggested Trump was re-election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:02:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What individual election results would have suggested Trump was re-election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What individual election results would have suggested Trump was re-election?  (Read 1258 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »

What individual election results from 2020 would have suggested that Trump won re-election?
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »

Miami-Dade county, for the magnitude of shift for such a large county in a high-spending, battleground state.
Maybe Zapata county too if given context that it's directly on the border, 95% hispanic and hadn't voted for a Republican in a century.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »

Iowa and Ohio not shifting that much.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:54:30 PM »

Trump's decisive margins of victory in Florida and Texas.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »

Texas swung three points to the left. If you told me that fact alone in 2019 I would assume Democrats easily won WI/MI/P and narrowly FL/NC

If you told me Trump won Florida by an even larger margin, I'd died of a heart attack
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »

Texas swung three points to the left. If you told me that fact alone in 2019 I would assume Democrats easily won WI/MI/P and narrowly FL/NC

If you told me Trump won Florida by an even larger margin, I'd died of a heart attack

True, but for much of last year, Texas was thought to be competitive, and we had polls showing Biden tied or even leading in the state. I think Trump did better than expected there. But as to Florida, I think that's a pretty clear result that would have suggested a Trump reelection.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 10:43:48 AM »

True, but for much of last year, Texas was thought to be competitive, and we had polls showing Biden tied or even leading in the state. I think Trump did better than expected there. But as to Florida, I think that's a pretty clear result that would have suggested a Trump reelection.
Did anyone really buy the polls showing Biden leading or tied in Texas? Neither campaign did and 538 ultimately expected Trump to carry Texas by 2 points

Same way no one expected Biden to carry Wisconsin by 8 points
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »

Did anyone really buy the polls showing Biden leading or tied in Texas? Neither campaign did and 538 ultimately expected Trump to carry Texas by 2 points

Same way no one expected Biden to carry Wisconsin by 8 points

A Poster by the name of TrendsAreReal gaslighted any poster who said Texas wasnt a pure tossup state and there were many posters who expected Biden to win Texas.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »

The minimal changes in IA and OH would have led me to believe that Biden wasn't going to push through the Rust Belt trifecta (MI, PA, and WI) and the FL returns by 10:30 PM on Election Night made it seem that the Sun Belt strategy (AZ, GA, NC) wasn't going to work either. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 06:12:15 PM »

Florida (specifically Miami-Dade), Kenosha County, Iowa, Ohio, and the Rio Grande Valley.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

Apart from the presidential results, Democrats not picking up either NC, ME, or IA in the Senate while barely holding on to MI by less than 2 points would have sent alarm bells ringing.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »

The results in Florida, Texas, Ohio, Iowa, and Maine's 2nd district.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 03:12:50 PM »

A I said before, if you told me at this point on august 2019 that trump win 74 million votes, I would already be making plans for his second term, and be figuring out how many states he picked up with 11 million extra votes
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »

Florida is the only obsvious one.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 02:13:44 AM »

Texas? This was the weakest R win in Texas in the 21st century. If you tell me that Texas moves 3% D from 2016 you suggest that the Republican nominee is in deep trouble.

Florida I understand.   
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 10:15:16 PM »

Texas? This was the weakest R win in Texas in the 21st century. If you tell me that Texas moves 3% D from 2016 you suggest that the Republican nominee is in deep trouble.

Florida I understand.   

Trump won Texas more decisively than had been expected by many.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 12:38:10 AM »

I started to call b.s. when the polls showed a close race between Cornyn and Hegar.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 08:10:35 AM »

Most of them. The election really does look like a Trump reelection, except for the whole "Trump not being reelected" part. What a weird election.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »

If I was told that my county (Trumbull) was going to vote for Trump by double digits and that Lorain and Mahoning were flipping, I definitely would've taken that as a sign that Biden was ultimately going to fall into the same traps Clinton fell into and that he was going to lose.

If I was told this information in November 2019, I would've guessed he won re-election with his 2016 map as well as Minnesota and New Hampshire. If told slightly before the election, I would've guessed the same with NH taken out.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2021, 09:04:06 PM »

I really only think the Florida result was a bad omen for Biden.  Maybe also Nevada (but that was highly explainable by the shutdowns).

I never thought Biden would actually win OH and IA, and there was some movement in those states.  Given that MI/WI/PA were much closer, just a little bit of movement was needed.

I also think the TX results were still fairly OK for a Biden win because it indicated that there was going to be movement in AZ.

On the flip side: the relative ease by which NH, ME, NM, MN, CO were called for Biden were strong indicators of a Biden win.  If I had just seen those results I would have assumed it would be a blowout. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »

Most of them. The election really does look like a Trump reelection, except for the whole "Trump not being reelected" part. What a weird election.
If someone told you the Democratic nominee would carry Georgia, wouldn't you immediately assume they won the election?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »

If someone told you the Democratic nominee would carry Georgia, wouldn't you immediately assume they won the election?

Yes. I said most of them, not all of them.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Feeding in partial data from basically anywhere outside of Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, the DC Area, and New England would have led a model to predict a Trump win, but if you fed the model only those cities, it would probably predict Biden +10 nationwide.  Even in the swing states Biden flipped, most of the urban results don't look like "enough" for him on paper (Philadelphia, Detroit, even Maricopa being much closer than in AZ-SEN 2018)!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »

Feeding in partial data from basically anywhere outside of Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, the DC Area, and New England would have led a model to predict a Trump win, but if you fed the model only those cities, it would probably predict Biden +10 nationwide.  Even in the swing states Biden flipped, most of the urban results don't look like "enough" for him on paper (Philadelphia, Detroit, even Maricopa being much closer than in AZ-SEN 2018)!

What model are you referring to?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 08:53:39 PM »

What model are you referring to?

I'm thinking of something like the NYT needle, but if it had enough information to run nationally in 2020.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies