Americas 51st and 52nd States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:05:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Americas 51st and 52nd States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Americas 51st and 52nd States?  (Read 22440 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 12:14:49 AM »

Sealand!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 06:52:18 AM »

Puerto Rico is not "equal" to MA. At present, there are no Rep or Dem organizations in the country, so any prediction is difficult, since the local party system would change after statehood.  However, at present there are two major parties of similar strength on the island, and it is not unlikely that one of them would become the basis for the local Republican Party organization (given that one of the two parties is already affiliated to national Dems, this becomes even more likely).  Now, this might be a very peculiar Republican organization, dissident within the national party on many issues, but it would still be a Republican Party, and it would be a locally important force. A moderate and/or Hispanic Republican candidate would have a good chance of winning PR in a presidential election.  I don't believe MA could be, at present, competitive, given almost any realistic Republican candidate.

Given that the New Progressive Party once *was* the state's Republican Party, and split away for some pretty good reasons... it's sort of unlikely they'd go back to that, or at least that many of their voters would follow them there.
Although... given the remaining strength at the nonfederal level of Republicans in Southern New England ... I could imagine PR having a competitive state New Progressives sort-of-affiliated with the Republican, and a Popular Democrat lock on congressional representation. I could *imagine* it - but competitive congressional elections, and PDs and NPs then both caucussing with the Dems, sounds more likely.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »

Fools.  Cuba has been a part of the United States all along, and once Castro is dead, it will "officially" join the Union.  Castro is just an agent for the United States who was put in power by us to fool the Soveit Union and heighten domestic tensions over the Cold War.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 04:42:44 PM »

If left-leaning Puerto Rico enters, a right-leaning state is needed to balance it out.

I'd love to see N. and S. Jersey different or NY State seperated from NYC

New York isn't a right-leaning state.
Kevinstat

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »

I'd love to see N. and S. Jersey different or NY State seperated from NYC

New York isn't a right-leaning state.

I think DownWithTheLeft was referring to New York State minus New York City, possibly minus (non-NYC) Long Island as well.  Upstate New York would at least be competitive for the Republicans on the Presidential and Senatorial levels as an independent state, and at the state government level (not that people outside New York would care much about that) would have a clear Republican lean.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »

Err...Lets say Alberta and Puerto Rico...But its not likely for either anytime soon and dependant on several factors...like Ottawa contiuning to piss that conservative bastion off.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »

The US considered annexing Cuba in the mid-1800s and split it into several states (actually, that was driven by southerners who wanted more slave states.)  It didn't happen, and probably won't ever; even if Castro's gone that doesn't mean the Cubans want to become a full-fledged part of the US.  It's more likely that the 51st state will be "Saudi Israelia" (a "Simpsons" reference) Smiley

Washington DC is more likely to become a state than Cuba, and DC isn't becoming a state anytime soon.   Puerto Rico is somewhat more likely, but not much so (maybe it could be united with the Virgin Islands?)  Maybe the Pacific Islands we control (Guam, Wake Island, etc.) if put together could qualify, but such a state would be too far flung to be coherent; imagine trying to run for governor or senator while having to island-hop for thousands of miles. 

Maybe if the Canada/Quebec tensions get bad enough, the Quebecois might look south?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 06:27:20 PM »

The US considered annexing Cuba in the mid-1800s and split it into several states (actually, that was driven by southerners who wanted more slave states.)  It didn't happen, and probably won't ever; even if Castro's gone that doesn't mean the Cubans want to become a full-fledged part of the US.  It's more likely that the 51st state will be "Saudi Israelia" (a "Simpsons" reference) Smiley

Washington DC is more likely to become a state than Cuba, and DC isn't becoming a state anytime soon.   Puerto Rico is somewhat more likely, but not much so (maybe it could be united with the Virgin Islands?)  Maybe the Pacific Islands we control (Guam, Wake Island, etc.) if put together could qualify, but such a state would be too far flung to be coherent; imagine trying to run for governor or senator while having to island-hop for thousands of miles. 

Maybe if the Canada/Quebec tensions get bad enough, the Quebecois might look south?

Quebec would want independence, not union with the US. I agree that it's highly unlikely Cuba will ever become a state, and if it does, it probably won't vote Republican. Cuban-Americans in Miami vote Republican because of fidel, and with him gone, they'll have no reason to do so. Besides, the average Cuban has very different priorities and ideas, though it's difficult to say what those are due to censorship on the island.

A Pacific state made up of Guam, the Northern Marianas, and American Samoa, plus Palau, the FSM, and the Marshall Islands (which are all currently nominally independent, but so small and dependent on the US that they might benefit from annexation) would be a more realistic possiblity than either of those two.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 12:22:21 AM »

If there's one thing that Quebeckers hate more than Canada, it's the United States.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 08:00:43 AM »

If there's one thing that Quebeckers hate more than Canada, it's the United States.

The United States, perhaps, but I don't believe they hate Americans. Whenever I have travelled throughout Quebec just as soon as people understand that I am not from Ontario (I grew up in Michigan and still sound like I could be from Ontario) they have been very friendly and quite understanding that I don't speak French.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 12:18:07 AM »

I would guess Puerto Rico and DC as the next two states most likely to join.  DC was actually very close to becoming a state in the 70's and I think that with Democrats now controlling Congress and a majority of state legislatures it could happen in the near future.  It appears as though the 110th will at least be giving DC a real representative instead of a non-voting delegate.  Many top Democrats have said that a proposed bill to give DC a vote and Utah a new vote will be a high priority for the 110th Congress since it appears unlikely that the 109th will get to it this year.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »

I would guess Puerto Rico and DC as the next two states most likely to join.  DC was actually very close to becoming a state in the 70's and I think that with Democrats now controlling Congress and a majority of state legislatures it could happen in the near future.  It appears as though the 110th will at least be giving DC a real representative instead of a non-voting delegate.  Many top Democrats have said that a proposed bill to give DC a vote and Utah a new vote will be a high priority for the 110th Congress since it appears unlikely that the 109th will get to it this year.

Why Utah? Isn't it Montana that gets the next new seat?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »

Why Utah? Isn't it Montana that gets the next new seat?

Nope, under the formula used to apportion Representatives, the 436th seat goes to Utah, Montana doesn't get a second seat under the 2000 Census until the 441st seat is handed out.  The next available seat goes not to the state that has the highest average population per district (in which case Montana would already have 2 seats) but the state which has the highest value under the method known as the method of equal proportions
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2006, 03:06:10 PM by Sen. Ernest »

I tried some other apportionment methods just to see the result.  If as the divisor used to generate priority values, instead of using the geometric mean of n and n+1 (where n is the number of seats the State has already) one uses the arithmetic mean, you get the same results in 2000 for the 435 seats, but the 436th would go to New York instead of Utah.  If you use simply n as Verily was suggesting, you get a result that is much more favorable to small states.

Differences would be:
California 50 (-3)
Connecticut 6 (+1)
Delaware 2 (+1)
Florida 24 (-1)
Mississippi 5 (+1)
Montana 2 (+1)
New York 28 (-1)
North Carolina 12 (-1)
Ohio 17 (-1)
Oklahoma 6 (+1)
Oregon 6 (+1)
South Dakota 2 (+1)
Texas 31 (-1)
Utah 4 (+1)

[Net gain for Bush of 2 EV in 2004]

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »

I tried some other apportionment methods just to see the result.  If as the divisor used to generate priority values, instead of using the geometric mean of n and n+1 (where n is the number of seats the State has already) one uses the arithmetic mean, you get the same results in 2000 for the 435 seats, but the 436th would go to New York instead of Utah.  If you use simply n as Verily was suggesting, you get a result that is much more favorable to small states.

Differences would be:
California 50 (-3)
Connecticut 6 (+1)
Delaware 2 (+1)
Florida 24 (-1)
Mississippi 5 (+1)
Montana 2 (+1)
New York 28 (-1)
North Carolina 12 (-1)
Ohio 17 (-1)
Oklahoma 6 (+1)
Oregon 6 (+1)
South Dakota 2 (+1)
Texas 31 (-1)
Utah 4 (+1)

[Net gain for Bush of 2 EV in 2004]

I like this method much better however we digress from the topic at hand.  I said earlier that the states most likely to join next would be DC and PR.  However I would much prefer a large state like California or Texas to divide itself in two.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »

You really ought to use the harmonic mean.

2(n+1)n
  ------------
     2n+1
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 07:57:14 PM »

Ireland for STATEHOOD! Tongue

Given how close we are to the US and with emigration, etc; we almost belong to you. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »

Any excuse to not be ruled by Fianna Fail, eh?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »

Given how close we are to the US and with emigration, etc; we almost belong to you. Wink

By the same reckoning you belong to Scotland Wink Or at least the bit where I live anyway
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2006, 07:59:45 PM »

Or Lancashire
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2006, 08:01:20 PM »

Speaking of which it's time to roll out those 1960's religion per UK county maps Cheesy I'll get working on that....
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2006, 08:04:57 PM by Gully Foyle »

Coming to think about it that would be very tempting; and perhaps we could get a better justice system as opposed to the one which hasn't been changed for about roughly 10billion years, so that we can finally persecute the corrupt bastards before they scuttle off and die to recieve a great big media love-in.

*Stamps the ground*
DO YOU HEAR THAT, CHARLIE HAUGHEY?
*Continues to stamp the ground*

Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »

By the same reckoning you belong to Scotland Wink Or at least the bit where I live anyway

Where would that be (Wouldn't happen to be stirling, would it?)? I have scottish blood btw.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2006, 08:07:03 PM »

Where would that be (Wouldn't happen to be stirling, would it?)? I have scottish blood btw.

Hamilton Smiley Stirling is lovely though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 01:13:15 AM »

The United States, perhaps, but I don't believe they hate Americans. Whenever I have travelled throughout Quebec just as soon as people understand that I am not from Ontario (I grew up in Michigan and still sound like I could be from Ontario) they have been very friendly and quite understanding that I don't speak French.

I havent had much problems in Quebec, but then again I dont venture off into the separatist areas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies