Americas 51st and 52nd States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:52:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Americas 51st and 52nd States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Americas 51st and 52nd States?  (Read 22447 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »

What will be Americas 51st and 52nd States? That is the question I am asking. I'll make a prediction.

My prediction

Purto Rico- Inresing Hispanic population along with a growing sense of comman feeling with the mainland America will lead to Purto Rico becoming a state.

Politcal Leaning-Democratic

Cuba- Once Castro kicks the bucket along with the collsape of the communist regime will lead to Cuba becoming an extentsion of Florida along with the same reasons os Purto Rico will also lead to Cuba becoming a state.

Politcal Leaning-Republican   

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »

What will be Americas 51st and 52nd States? That is the question I am asking. I'll make a prediction.

My prediction

Purto Rico- Inresing Hispanic population along with a growing sense of comman feeling with the mainland America will lead to Purto Rico becoming a state.

On what basis do you make the claim that Puerto Ricans are feeling a growing sense of emotional connection to mainland America?  I'm not saying you're wrong -I'm just surprised and curious.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:18:03 PM »

My prediction

Purto Rico- Incresing Hispanic population along with a growing sense of comman feeling with the mainland America will lead to Purto Rico becoming a state.

On what basis do you make the claim that Puerto Ricans are feeling a growing sense of emotional connection to mainland America?  I'm not saying you're wrong -I'm just surprised and curious.

With the growing Hispanic population in this country along with the fact the Purto Rico is a commanwealth and US territory I feel it is only a matter of time before Purto Rico becomes a state. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »

Puerto Rico - possible, may be even probable. Cuba - not before Mexico and Canada do the same. It's not an extension of Florida, believe it or not, Castro or no Castro. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 12:44:04 AM »

The anti-Castroites are deluding themselves if they think they will be quickly gaining power in Cuba after the Castroes are gone.

51st State could be the State of Mariana (Guam plus Northern Marianas) or the State of Puerto Rico.  Mariana is a bit small at only 250K in population, but has the political will to become a U.S. State should the situation allow.  Puerto Rico could become a State now but its support for Statehood is unlikely to creep past the ~45% level it has been at for the past few decades.  Both the USVI and AS are too small and if AS tried to grow by reuniting with Samoa, it would be to gain independence, not Statehood.

There is no external territory at this time that has both the desire to become a State and any chance of being admitted as one.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:55:43 AM »

If left-leaning Puerto Rico enters, a right-leaning state is needed to balance it out.

I'd love to see N. and S. Jersey different or NY State seperated from NYC
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:18:13 AM »

With Cuba I'm talking about maybe 30-40 years after the death of Castro and the fall of his regime. Sorry about not stating that before.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:50:17 AM »

Puerto Rico or Guam seem the most likely.  I hardly think the Cubans, who have had Castro since 1959 and were independent before that are suddenly going to discover American nationalism.  Mexico is an interesting idea, didn't someone in history once famously think it would eventually become a part of the US?  But in the immediate future that doesn't seem feasible either. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »

Neither seems likely at this point.  Nor do I think either one of them should become a state.  Cuba is a foreign country, and unless there's a groundswell in Cuba to join the US, which I doubt, there's no reason to even consider it as a potential state.

I don't think we should admit as states places that don't speak English as their primary language.  And I don't think we should be looking to expand in this way.  Let's just keep the 50 states we have.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 10:14:14 AM »

Puerto Rico and Canada (though Canada would be more than one state).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 10:30:40 AM »

Puerto Rico and Canada (though Canada would be more than one state).

Why the hell would Canada join and how do they benefit from it? All it would do is hurt their economy (and parts of the US to some extent, but Canada would be harder hit)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »

One little remanent from when Australia formed out of 6 colonies in 1901 - New Zealand was offered the chance to join Australia. They turned it down BUT they reserved the right to accept at a later date. They STILL have that option.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mind you our Rugby team would be UNSTOPPABLE.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »

With Cuba I'm talking about maybe 30-40 years after the death of Castro and the fall of his regime. Sorry about not stating that before.

Not even then.  The chance that Cuba would enter, at this point, is no higher than that for any other neighboring country.  Why Cuba and not, say, Panama? At least, there are anglophone areas (though small) in that country.

Except for Puerto Rico, none of the countries in the region are at all likely.  Guam +, of course, could be another possibility w/ somewhat larger population.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 03:20:34 PM »

Puerto Rico is the most likely. I would support Puerto Rican statehood if they wanted it.

Guam would probably be stopped because of its small population.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 11:32:09 PM »

The only possible two likely additional states:

1-Puerto Rico
2-A state combined of all the Pacific colonies. Their populations are too low to be one on their own.

The Republican belief that Cuba might/will become a state is based on the delusional premise that Castro's death will result in Cuba being transformed into a pro-US free market democracy overnight, and that a hypothetical Cuban state would be vote Republican. Places like Jamaica are more likely than Cuba due to being Anglophone, though the odds there are still quite low.
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »

I'd say a more likely option would be DC.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 08:30:31 AM »

No, simply because the whole point of DC is that is not a state.  Plus states usually come in 2s, and adding DC and Puerto Rico would really throw off polticial balance as Puerto Rico is equal to MA, and DC is far, far worse.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 09:33:20 AM »

DC is not a state.  If anything, it should be included in Maryland for purposes of congressional representation.  But to call it a state is absurd.  It's a city -- and a highly dysfunctional one.  Nothing more.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 10:21:41 AM »

My prediction

Politcal Leaning-Democratic

Cuba- Once Castro kicks the bucket along with the collsape of the communist regime will lead to Cuba becoming an extentsion of Florida along with the same reasons os Purto Rico will also lead to Cuba becoming a state.

Politcal Leaning-Republican   

I agree with you, but why would Cuba lean Republican? The reason Cuban-Americans are Republicans is because they had the money to get out of Cuba. Average Cubans would likely be Democrats.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »

Puerto Rico will be 51, sometime within the next 40 years.

Cuba?  Never.

There will be no other new states entering the union after Puerto Rico, ever.  Except perhaps our colony on Mars, 400-500 years from now.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »

I'd support Puerto Rico becoming a state, and DC as well, although it would probably make more sense to simply merge DC into Maryland.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »

What about a state spliting into two, like Eastern and Western Washington, or Upstate NY, and NYC? Those seem more likely than Cuba.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 03:14:50 PM »

Adding Puerto Rico and a EasternWashington/Idaho Panhandle state would be a balance.

American Samoa wouldn't fit into a transPacific state because of the IDL difference.  But Guam/N.Marianas could make a state.

Those 3 seem plausible, unforunately nothing else does now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »

Adding Puerto Rico and a EasternWashington/Idaho Panhandle state would be a balance.

We already have enough Republican gerrymandered states.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »

Puerto Rico is not "equal" to MA. At present, there are no Rep or Dem organizations in the country, so any prediction is difficult, since the local party system would change after statehood.  However, at present there are two major parties of similar strength on the island, and it is not unlikely that one of them would become the basis for the local Republican Party organization (given that one of the two parties is already affiliated to national Dems, this becomes even more likely).  Now, this might be a very peculiar Republican organization, dissident within the national party on many issues, but it would still be a Republican Party, and it would be a locally important force. A moderate and/or Hispanic Republican candidate would have a good chance of winning PR in a presidential election.  I don't believe MA could be, at present, competitive, given almost any realistic Republican candidate.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies