Plausibility of this map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:30:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Plausibility of this map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plausibility of this map?  (Read 368 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2021, 10:43:42 AM »
« edited: August 01, 2021, 10:48:44 AM by Alben Barkley »

I just got this insane map playing The New Campaign Trail as Clinton/McCaskill. Normal difficulty vs. Trump. Ran as a kind of moderate populist (tough on ISIS, moderate on immigration and anti-TPP, otherwise more mainstream Democrat than far left).

Closest state and tipping point was Florida, won 48.60-48.23. The next closest (in order) were Maine, Wisconsin, Missouri, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Nevada. All of which were within 2 points or less. Not far behind were Michigan, Iowa, North Carolina, Minnesota, Texas, and Arizona. Setting aside Missouri (due to the McCaskill mod) and the fact that South Dakota is lightly shaded (apparently Gary Johnson got double digits there in this game, actually beating me for second, perhaps some kind of glitch), is this map remotely feasible? Either as an actual 2016 map or as a near future map?

I ask because some people apparently think ME/NH/NV are gonna flip, WI/PA are gonna start leaning R, and MI/NC/AZ will be toss-ups. I guess the biggest obstacles to this map being real based on Atlas trends/memes are Florida and Georgia, since everyone knows they are Titanium Tilt R and Titanium Tilt D (respectively) for eternity now. But what if the Cuban vote swung back in Florida (but not the Hispanic vote in Western states like AZ and NV), while the suburban bleeding stopped in Georgia and black turnout went down? Could a map like this then be plausible, or a similar one at least? Basically every state remotely considered in play under the current alignment was razor thin here, after all, again setting aside Missouri. It's not impossible to see which states break which way coming basically down to random chance if all are very close in a tight election.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »

I'm surprised FL and NC voted for Clinton, while WI voted for Trump.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 03:16:24 AM »

That map doesn't seem plausible to me because I don't envision an election anytime soon where the GOP wins PA but the Dems win NC and FL.  The only scenario I see this happening under is if there is extremely turbo charged black voter turnout.  But in that scenario Hilldawg would be winning Georgia too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies