Idea: Elect Supreme Court Justices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:08:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Idea: Elect Supreme Court Justices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Idea: Elect Supreme Court Justices  (Read 6054 times)
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 10:17:11 AM »

Supreme Court should be nonpartisan. I would remove Presidential appointments since this is putting too much on that critical office. Instead I think this branch should almost be totally separate from others with lower courts promoting members to higher ones.

However, I think there should be an option to call a ballot initiative for people to fire members of the court if they overstep. This wouldn't be a routine thing, just a resource to inject some accountability in an otherwise politically isolated body.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 10:55:39 AM »

This makes me nervous because I strongly suspect Earl Warren et al. would have lost a removal/retention referendum sometime from Brown v. Board to Loving v. Virginia.
SInNYC

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2023, 12:20:48 PM »

Supreme Court should be nonpartisan. I would remove Presidential appointments since this is putting too much on that critical office. Instead I think this branch should almost be totally separate from others with lower courts promoting members to higher ones.

However, I think there should be an option to call a ballot initiative for people to fire members of the court if they overstep. This wouldn't be a routine thing, just a resource to inject some accountability in an otherwise politically isolated body.

Do you mean having federal court judges elect who is the most qualified among themselves? That might make sense. I guess it would be kind of like the papal selection process.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 07:18:54 AM »

I doubt doing this would lead to the Court being any more objective. The reason the federal judiciary is kept isolated from political pressure is so they will have the capacity to be objective -- which, unfortunately, isn't happening. What can we do to make sure the Justices will be objective? I think electing them will make things worse, not better.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies