Campaigning in Hawaii
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:49:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Campaigning in Hawaii
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Campaigning in Hawaii  (Read 78295 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »

It's an impossibly, due to fact it's too hot in the Summer time to campaign there, the only time you can campaign there is in Winter

I visited HI and I am used to Cali heat and you melt even in the shade
kwabbit

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 02:30:01 AM »

It's an impossibly, due to fact it's too hot in the Summer time to campaign there, the only time you can campaign there is in Winter

The hottest temperature ever in Honolulu is recorded at 95 F. Unsurprisingly, given a tropical island, the temperature is consistently warm with little spread between seasons or day and night. Seems like half the year is June in NJ and half the year in July in NJ lol. Going by the climate data it's actually very close to Princeton in June/July both in temp and humidity.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »

I still want to know how did Bush come within 9% of winning in 2004.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 12:35:02 AM »

I still want to know how did Bush come within 9% of winning in 2004.

Hawaii has a pro-incumbent streak.
Motorcity

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »

I wonder if Cruz, since he is latino, would campaign in PR, should it become a state in 2024, should Trump lose, Cruz will be the nominee
No one really considers Cruz a latino. He only identifies as an latino when it was conveinet for him, which has been several years.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

The hottest temperature ever in Honolulu is recorded at 95 F. Unsurprisingly, given a tropical island, the temperature is consistently warm with little spread between seasons or day and night. Seems like half the year is June in NJ and half the year in July in NJ lol. Going by the climate data it's actually very close to Princeton in June/July both in temp and humidity.

Which U.S. state would you think has the highest recorded temperature, Hawaii or Alaska?
Alaska wins, by a nose. 100 °F in Fort Yukon on June 27, 1915, vs. 98 °F in Puunene (Maui) on July 14, 1957.

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »

It was tied in the polls at the time
Redban

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 03:19:50 PM »

Is Hawaii that much hotter than Arizona and Nevada in the summer? I thought Phoenix hits 110 degrees in July-August?
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »

Is Hawaii that much hotter than Arizona and Nevada in the summer? I thought Phoenix hits 110 degrees in July-August?

No, It's usually in the upper 80's to around 90F in most of Hawaii during the Summer. The hottest recorded temperature in Hawaii was 100F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Hawaii#Temperature
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »

Nixon visited every state during his 1960 campaign, this is often seen as contributing to his loss since he didn't focus enough on the swing states.

Interestingly, this was the first presidential election for both AK and HI (the last two states added to the Union), and both were quite competitive in 1960. As it turned out the 1960 election determined those states' political leanings. Ultimately, HI went narrowly Democratic (foreshadowing a legacy where it would become a rock-ribbed blue state) and AK went narrowly red (it'd vote Democratic only once, in 1964, thereafter).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 02:34:48 PM »

Not too unreasonable. HI took a massive turn and shift to the left in 2008, shifting 36 points leftward (more than most counties did in 2020 and 2016). Since 2008 HI has shifted slowly rightward, but still, it's not nearly as competitive as it was in 2004. In 2008, HI went blue by 45.27%; in 2004, by 8.75%. In 2004, HI was a blue state just out of reach for the GOP no matter how well they did nationally, so it going Republican would've required a great night for Bush and Cheney, but wasn't impossible. Today, HI is one of the bluest states and one of the states and the core of the Democrats' electoral math (that is, HI is one of the most reliably blue states). But still, Cheney expecting HI to flip blue is like Biden expecting AK to flip in 2020 - not happening, though the state is still only Likely, not Safe, for the opposite party.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2023, 05:11:55 PM »

The moreover that Dubya was 4 percentage points away from winning Honolulu.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004//pages/results/states/HI/P/00/epolls.0.html
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2023, 06:53:51 PM »

The moreover that Dubya's campaign raised more funds in the state of HI than John Kerry did. President George W. Bush raised $700,000 more than Senator Kerry#

https://www.campaignmoney.com/political/campaigns/george_w_bush.asp?cycle=04

https://www.campaignmoney.com/political/campaigns/john_f_kerry.asp?cycle=04
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 07:04:25 PM »

It was way more important for Dubya to win Ohio than in Hawaii which brought him over the top.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2023, 04:52:34 AM »

Nixon visited every state during his 1960 campaign, this is often seen as contributing to his loss since he didn't focus enough on the swing states.

Well, Hawaii appointed electors for Nixon before they realized he didn't actually win. So it was definitely a swing state.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2023, 04:23:48 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2023, 09:03:51 AM by UWS »

One of the reasons why Dubya performed the best among the voters aged 60 and older in HI is because most of them lived the memory of Pearl Harbor and by connecting it with the significance of 9/11 in which America lost more people than in Pearl Harbor it helped George W. Bush to keep the race somewhat competitive in HI where a poll before Election Day showed him leading Kerry by a percentage point
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2023, 05:00:01 PM »

The moreover that even if Ralph Nader wasn’t on the ballot, a poll in HI showed that Nader got 4 % of the voting intentions while he got almost 6 % of the vote there in 2000. If Nader was on the ballot and got about that performance, perhaps that would have made HI more competitive
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies