Why do liberals want masks and restrictions forever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 03:09:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do liberals want masks and restrictions forever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Why do liberals want masks and restrictions forever?  (Read 5423 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2021, 12:59:34 PM »

And the idea that lockdowns are authoritarian is laughable

If placing entire countries or states on house arrest isn't authoritarian, what is?

That....didn't happen? Huh

It's actually amazing that people on different sides of the aisle live in completely alternative realities.  I can't even grasp at this take. Like.... were you watching the news the past 18 months? It wasn't so bad in America outside places like New York City but there were many countries that did completely shut down (Spain, France, UK, Australia, etc)

Indeed, except we're in reality and you're the one with the alternative reality. Sean Spicer might blush at the alternative facts you're trying to peddle now. In the USA the shelter-in-place orders were not enforced at all. Where were the police patrolling the streets telling people to go home? Oh right, this didn't happen whatsoever anywhere. Businesses were shut down, yes, but in many states a substantial fraction of businesses were able to be classified as essential businesses and continue to run.

In any case, the shelter-in-place orders and business shutdowns all ended by July 2020. So for the last year, while the pandemic continued to rage out of control, there has been no shutdown anywhere in the USA. You're truly blind and delusional if you think that some capacity restrictions and mask mandates could be called "placing entire countries or states on house arrest".

So the small share of deemed essential businesses Placer the presence of BLM protests I can I have many of the ladder you will see from just about every video actually actively engaged mask-wearing and to a lesser degree social distancing when possible - - compared to the overall share of the US economy that was shut down? You probably couldn't measure the former as a double-digit percentage of the American economy and the latter compared to the number of trips the average American took to the mall or some other store on a typical free covid-19 doesn't even measure more than a literal fraction of a percent.

In short this hypothesis is Ill-founded
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »

My Friend's mother is in Group E, but she also believes the vaccine makes you magnetic and is manufactured by Bill Gates to get a chip into you ...

Are you pulling our leg?
Maybe she is just joking from what she has been hearing (over the internet/radio/etc.)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »

My Friend's mother is in Group E, but she also believes the vaccine makes you magnetic and is manufactured by Bill Gates to get a chip into you ...

Are you pulling our leg?
Maybe she is just joking from what she has been hearing (over the internet/radio/etc.)

Nope. She's markedly religious, orthodox, and living in Florida now. Ever since she moved from Puerto Rico and joined the churches over there, she's been off the deep end.

She is not alone. Out of my friend's whole close family, only my friend doesn't believe that nonsense. His two brothers, his mother, his sisters in law, all of them on the same boat.

The real kicker is that, setting all that kookiness aside, she's generally a good person. I wonder how many are in that situation.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2021, 06:25:42 PM »

No one wants masks and restrictions forever. Anti-maskers, You gotta understand that if you want these to end sooner, you have to bite the bullet and wear a mask now so that you won't have to in the future.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »

prohibiting wearing of masks outside of cases like surgery looks better and better

also massive fines both against companies and managers of corporations that make their workers or customers wear masks
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2021, 11:19:33 PM »

I don't know how many different ways sane people will have to spell it out for you before it finally sinks in (if ever), but: Masks save lives.

A far more effective way of "saving lives" is ordering items online, which I would wager that the great majority of those wearing masks in grocery stores have the capacity and time to do.

Agreed. But for those who do need to go to the grocery store, for whatever reason, masks are a must. Of course, online shopping is the safest option, but it can't always be utilized, and that's when masks are necessary.

More than 80% of people in  my liberal Portland suburb dont wear masks anymore in stores

Noticed this walking down the street in Berkeley today; half of the people aren't wearing masks. Opposition to masking is spreading beyond the conservatives who objected last year, and lockdowns will become less and less effective the longer this goes on.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2021, 11:29:05 PM »

I don't know how many different ways sane people will have to spell it out for you before it finally sinks in (if ever), but: Masks save lives.

A far more effective way of "saving lives" is ordering items online, which I would wager that the great majority of those wearing masks in grocery stores have the capacity and time to do.

Agreed. But for those who do need to go to the grocery store, for whatever reason, masks are a must. Of course, online shopping is the safest option, but it can't always be utilized, and that's when masks are necessary.

More than 80% of people in  my liberal Portland suburb dont wear masks anymore in stores

Noticed this walking down the street in Berkeley today; half of the people aren't wearing masks. Opposition to masking is spreading beyond the conservatives who objected last year, and lockdowns will become less and less effective the longer this goes on.

And yet, the level of masking in New Orleans/Jefferson seems quite high to me 90%, though the outbreak here is quite large.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2021, 11:36:07 PM »

The reason, guys, is that such people in your areas have overwhelmingly vaccinated.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2021, 11:36:17 PM »

And yet, the level of masking in New Orleans/Jefferson seems quite high to me 90%, though the outbreak here is quite large.

Size of outbreak seems like a likely factor. I also wonder if maintaining cultural shibboleths is more valued in places like that where there is (relatively) close proximity to people of the opposite party.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2021, 11:51:27 PM »

Hilarious that the most extreme Delta doomer in this thread is now someone named "CentristRepublican," should we change the thread title now?
His comments are not anything near being an "extreme Delta doomer."
Any no where did he say he wants "masks and restrictions forever" (the actual thread title you make light of).
Learn to read.
His only contributions to this thread in this thread are condescendingly telling us that he's socially distancing and masking and everyone else who isn't is an idiot, doubting the effectiveness of vaccines by overexaggerating the dangers of breakthrough cases due to his own paranoia, and putting his ignorance about viral diseases on full display by not knowing that the flu is deadly. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a "doomer."

Besides, as you pointed out already, my only other contribution is this thread is pointing out what a ridiculous premise this question is since it's an overexaggeration and mask authoritians exist on all sides of the political spectrum and I was merely pointing out how it was funny that both the OP and CentristRepublican are both self described moderate Republicans.

So I think you and your friend are the ones who actually need to learn how to read.

A lot of "self described moderate Republicans" on here are actually communists.  This might cause a stir but hear me out. The word "liberal" implies you're for personal and economic freedoms.  The mask cult is not for either.  Advocating for control of businesses and personal affairs before 2020 would have been an insane fringe position.  Normalizing it has caused nothing but trouble.  Time to call it what it is — communism.  If you support lockdowns and mask mandates, you are advocating for communism.

No, actually, that is not remotely what communism is.

I don't support lockdowns or mask mandates, because we are at the point now where people who choose to not vaccinate are contributing mostly to the death toll. That's their fault, health officials should not expect vaccinated people to pick up their slack, and the mask/lockdown obsession is more akin to Bush's Patriot Act and "War on Terror" BS than anything else.

Don't make our side look bad by saying stupid sh!t. Save it for the YouTube comments sections.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2021, 05:40:17 AM »

Cross posting (semi cross posting) from other covid thread:

Watch this video..

This video was made in 2011! Yes, 2011! And ten years later, TSA is largely the same.

Hence why I have largely been skeptical of covid regulations.

In 2015:

In 2018:

And in 2021 we are here:

If you watch those videos, you will see why I am highly skeptical of covid restrictions.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:23 AM »

We don't. Conservatives are the ones who want masks and restrictions forever, since they want to keep the pandemic going.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »

Just reading this last page, I notice discussion of being mask-less outside.  I go mask-less outside, walking around. That is very low risk behavior. It is what you do inside* that matters.
Dan and I have not had anything to eat or drink inside ever at a public establishment since covid arrived.

*well, on Saturday the bars along the river were packed with your people in Hoboken, and the tables outside were placed close to each other with every seat filled, with the kids chatting away and drinking. Yeah, I was kind of jealous, but that would be an exception to if it's outside, just do it. It's the exception that proves the rule.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »

I'm really curious. What is with this hysteria on the left? Once you're fully vaccinated, go enjoy your life.

Between Pelosi, Bowser and the derangement of some people on here, it's really getting on my nerves.

Just admit a few things:
1. The vaccine is very effective, even against Delta.
2. Getting it once helps your immune system ward off future infections.
3. It is very rare for kids to get seriously ill from it. Guess what? In an average year, a lot more kids probably die in car accidents or drown in swimming pools.

LOLs Loons, okay I'll admit a few things:

1. Yeah, that aged well.
2. 'k.
3. Totally.  Which is why Hasbro (that's the toy company, but you already know that I guess since you're still playing with toys) is participating in the work that's being done to keep kids safe from COVID... you know, since more kids probably die in car accidents or drown in pools when Grandpa's asleep and Grandma's forgot to take her medication.  https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/hasbro-joins-study-on-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-in-children/
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »

Hilarious that the most extreme Delta doomer in this thread is now someone named "CentristRepublican," should we change the thread title now?
Any no where did he say he wants "masks and restrictions forever" (the actual thread title you make light of).
Learn to read.
His only contributions to this thread in this thread are condescendingly telling us that he's socially distancing and masking and everyone else who isn't is an idiot, doubting the effectiveness of vaccines by overexaggerating the dangers of breakthrough cases due to his own paranoia, and putting his ignorance about viral diseases on full display by not knowing that the flu is deadly. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a "doomer."

Besides, as you pointed out already, my only other contribution is this thread is pointing out what a ridiculous premise this question is since it's an overexaggeration and mask authoritians exist on all sides of the political spectrum and I was merely pointing out how it was funny that both the OP and CentristRepublican are both self described moderate Republicans.

So I think you and your friend are the ones who actually need to learn how to read.

A lot of "self described moderate Republicans" on here are actually communists.  This might cause a stir but hear me out. The word "liberal" implies you're for personal and economic freedoms.  The mask cult is not for either.  Advocating for control of businesses and personal affairs before 2020 would have been an insane fringe position.  Normalizing it has caused nothing but trouble.  Time to call it what it is — communism.  If you support lockdowns and mask mandates, you are advocating for communism.

Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »

Learn to read.

Jesus F**king Christ. This actually melts my brain.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »

When we're like before everyone was coughing over each other we shouldn't go back to that until we are sure we are done with Covid

We still have a TB Pandemic and we still have Hepititis a dealing with coughing and second hand smoking

Before the mask mandate, jobs with dealing with high risk people like I wore a mask dealing with homelessness when I was a security officer and Police officers do when they arrest homeless people have still a mask mandate even without Covid

This isn't new wearing mask, Asian cou tried wore masks before Covid

Just remember where Diseases and air pollution come from me Fracking, smoking and carbon and SMOG from cars
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »

We don't. Conservatives are the ones who want masks and restrictions forever, since they want to keep the pandemic going.

Exactly.  The entire COVID madness right now is due to their complete abandonment of any sense of reality and any sense of moral obligation to their communities, all in the name of ideological adherence.. but you can't blame all of them - they've been brainwashed so long by talk radio and these preachers, and already many of the talk radio hosts and the preachers have already died.

It's stories like this that boggle the mind:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article254419583.html
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »

My friend's father needs a heart bypass but can't get one because the hospitals are full of COVID patients. People are dying of non-lethal things like acute pancreatitis because they're spending so much time waiting for a hospital that can accept them.

So until our healthcare system isn't being overburdened by COVID to the point that people are literally dying from other things due to lack of resources, I want masks and restrictions.

What I'd actually like is for anyone showing up at a hospital with COVID symptoms to be asked to show proof of vaccination. If they weren't vaccinated, they will be turned away and told to manage their symptoms themselves at home. After all, the anti-vaxxers keep insisting COVID is "just the flu." If that's the case, then they shouldn't need the hospital. They should go home and take some Tylenol and if they die, it was their personal choices that led to it.

Once you do that, we won't have any trouble because virtually no one who's been vaccinated requires hospitalization if they get COVID.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »

My friend's father needs a heart bypass but can't get one because the hospitals are full of COVID patients. People are dying of non-lethal things like acute pancreatitis because they're spending so much time waiting for a hospital that can accept them.

So until our healthcare system isn't being overburdened by COVID to the point that people are literally dying from other things due to lack of resources, I want masks and restrictions.

What I'd actually like is for anyone showing up at a hospital with COVID symptoms to be asked to show proof of vaccination. If they weren't vaccinated, they will be turned away and told to manage their symptoms themselves at home. After all, the anti-vaxxers keep insisting COVID is "just the flu." If that's the case, then they shouldn't need the hospital. They should go home and take some Tylenol and if they die, it was their personal choices that led to it.

Once you do that, we won't have any trouble because virtually no one who's been vaccinated requires hospitalization if they get COVID.

Schools are open, gyms are open, businesses are open and there is literally nothing you can do about it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »

I'm really curious. What is with this hysteria on the left? Once you're fully vaccinated, go enjoy your life.

Between Pelosi, Bowser and the derangement of some people on here, it's really getting on my nerves.

Just admit a few things:
3. It is very rare for kids to get seriously ill from it. Guess what? In an average year, a lot more kids probably die in car accidents or drown in swimming pools.

1. Yeah, that aged well.

Shut your mouth. The vaccines work amazingly well.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

Just admit a few things:

1. Yeah, that aged well.

Shut your mouth. The vaccines work amazingly well.
we need to start reporting hysterical people on here for being antivax, im gonna start doing that
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2021, 10:18:27 AM »

b

Just admit a few things:

1. Yeah, that aged well.
2. 'k.
3. Totally.  Which is why Hasbro (that's the toy company, but you already know that I guess since you're still playing with toys) is participating in the work that's being done to keep kids safe from COVID... you know, since more kids probably die in car accidents or drown in pools when Grandpa's asleep and Grandma's forgot to take her medication.  https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/hasbro-joins-study-on-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-in-children/

Vaccines work you are fake news
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 04:22:17 PM by DabbingSanta »

Debunking some pro-communist arguments on coronavirus I keep seeing on here.

> DeSantis is responsible for killing people.

Florida ranks 12th out of 50 in COVID deaths per capita.  States higher on this list include New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.  DeSantis has also encouraged people to get vaccinated.  Is Cuomo responsible for killing people in New York?

> Mask mandates prevent outbreaks

Many states have implemented mask mandates for much of the pandemic, and they still suffered from high rates of COVID.  Reality: there has been zero difference in COVID rates between states with mandates and states without.  This might be in part because mandates are so difficult to enforce, private gatherings still occur, etc, but you can't stop human nature.  Socialization and seeing people's faces is healthy and normal behavior.

> High rates of vaccination prevents outbreaks

Not true.  Many highly vaccinated places are currently experiencing COVID outbreaks in regions as diverse as Navajo Nation and Israel.  In July, a super spreader event in Provincetown MA occurred despite the event's 96% vaccination rate.  Three quarters of people infected were fully vaccinated.

> The lockdowns didn't work because they weren't harsh enough

While this is technically correct, the lockdowns are eventually bound to fail, as we are seeing in Australia right now.  Lockdowns were implemented to slow the spread, not prevent spread.  Plus, it can be argued the economic devastation and societal destruction that results far outweighs any benefits of preventing a viral disease with a 99% survival rate.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2021, 07:46:28 PM »

You can't compare suppressing the Delta variant to suppressing the original Covid, Delta is so much more contagious. Lockdowns across the world were very successful against the original Covid. The same settings have failed in Australia and it is unclear whether even a virtually perfect strategy in NZ can actually eliminate a Delta outbreak. Delta is virtually a different virus. So you can't look at Australia, and then excuse the hundreds of thousands of lives lost because suppression measures in the US against the original Covid were inadequate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies