Latino Voters Moved Toward Republicans. Now Biden Wants Them Back.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:35:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Latino Voters Moved Toward Republicans. Now Biden Wants Them Back.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Latino Voters Moved Toward Republicans. Now Biden Wants Them Back.  (Read 1271 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 05:59:01 AM »

There was an article where some voters said that Trump's name on the check was interpreted as him sending the money.

As terrible of a person as he is, you can't deny that his political instincts are absolutely unmatched. There's a reason he won in 2016, and there's a reason he almost won in 2020.

Eh, an incumbent President with "absolutely unmatched" political instincts doesn't lose reelection.

OT, it's important to not take exit polls as gospel. A multitude of heavily Hispanic areas swung considerably to Trump, IIRC only in the Denver area there were negligible R gains, I think many precincts even swung to Biden there.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »

OT, it's important to not take exit polls as gospel. A multitude of heavily Hispanic areas swung considerably to Trump, IIRC only in the Denver area there were negligible R gains, I think many precincts even swung to Biden there.

Also true for OR and WA, which is what I would’ve expected given the local PNW 2020 environment.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

Eh, an incumbent President with "absolutely unmatched" political instincts doesn't lose reelection.

The "absolutely unmatched" political instincts are why he, almost certain to be among the top 5 worst US Presidents in history, didn't lose in a 1980-style landslide.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2021, 01:29:49 PM »

The "absolutely unmatched" political instincts are why he, almost certain to be among the top 5 worst US Presidents in history, didn't lose in a 1980-style landslide.

To the contrary, I'd argue Trump had the capability of doing a lot better. He made a massive amount of easily avoidable political blunders, such as making fun of John McCain, not taking COVID-19 (and the subsequent economic recession) as seriously as he might have*, the whole first debate, among other things, not emphasizing the strong pre-COVID economy as much as he could have. He also was an incumbent.

His internal exit polling was showing wins in Colorado, New Mexico, and New Hampshire at the beginning of the year, in fact.

I'm quite thankful his political instincts aren't as top-notch as you think they are.

* While keeping the economy open helped the president, attempting to avoid the death toll catastrophe in the first place by taking it at least semi-seriously would have helped somewhat
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 02:31:34 PM »

Well, it sure doesn't feel like it considering the administration's lukewarm and negligent stances on Cuba, Venezuela, and fixing the broken immigration system. I'll believe Biden considers them a priority when I see it!

They invest, they have unlimited reserves of money, they have these golden opportunities literally every few weeks, but they (painfully) blow them all and are so out-of-touch it's all useless! At least this is the case in Greater Miami.

An example right now being the Cuban protests here. The energy is palpable and you can't take a drive around here without passing by groups of people on the sidewalks shouting slogans. Cuban flags have become a staple on the road! I don't even live in the Cuban-American heartland of Miami-Dade and I'm seeing this stuff. The Democrats have the perfect opportunity to capitalize (or at least show sympathy!), but nooo...

Nothing's happening, and frustratingly there are certain people who want to give the Cuban regime praise on our side!

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country (I noticed very little mention of Florida's Hispanic population in the article, which is the third-largest in the nation and one of the fastest-growing) but there's a lot of work that remains to be done here if they want to rebuild from their collapse over the last few years.

By the way, anybody who wants to get past the paywall? Click this.

It is wisest on the part of President Biden to not push things. The new President of Cuba might have to choose between being another Mikhail Gorbachev or another Nicolae Ceausescu.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies