For the “the rich will flee / divert money” argument against higher taxes, why not tax THAT?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:44:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  For the “the rich will flee / divert money” argument against higher taxes, why not tax THAT?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For the “the rich will flee / divert money” argument against higher taxes, why not tax THAT?  (Read 1482 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2021, 02:53:21 AM »

Often in the debate on higher income taxes, there argument is made that the rich will leave the country or put most of their funds in foreign tax havens.

Why don’t we simply put an enormous tax on anyone who attempts to do so, that’s higher than continuing to stay here (with their money)?

For example, if Elon Musk decides to move to the Cayman Islands and quit his US citizenship, he can… if he first pays a 75% wealth tax.

If Mark Zuckerberg decides to put all his funds in a foreign account that he generates based off US-based business, each transaction is subject to 75% in taxes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 03:02:02 AM »

Some Facebook co-founder renounced his citizenship before Facebook went public so that he could undervalue the shares for the exit tax.

And to be fair to the US, I think Eritrea is the only other country to tax expats. Boris Johnson renounced his American citizenship because of it.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:06:23 AM »

TIL the United States has jurisdiction over the entire planet. That's fun!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »

Because you can't tax money in another country?  lol
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »

Um, you can certainly tax money before it's transferred out of the country, and an expatriatiation tax wouldn't be that different from an estate tax.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:49:09 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2021, 01:50:56 PM by AGA »

The US does tax its citizens even if they earn income abroad, and there is a fee you have to pay for renouncing your citizenship, so OP's idea is already being practiced to an extent. Although you could get away with not paying taxes depending on the country you move to.

Anyway, it is of my opinion that making it impossible to avoid paying some sort of money to the federal government is theft, so I don't think there should be a fee to renounce citizenship.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

The US does tax its citizens even if they earn income abroad, and there is a fee you have to pay for renouncing your citizenship, so OP's idea is already being practiced to an extent. Although you could get away with not paying taxes depending on the country you move to.

Anyway, it is of my opinion that making it impossible to avoid paying some sort of money to the federal government is theft, so I don't think there should be a fee to renounce citizenship.

Supposedly Edward Snowden is still paying taxes even though that would obviously not change his situation with the US authorities very much.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 01:45:29 AM »

How is that theft??
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2021, 10:24:09 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

I think the argument against this is that it would discourage some forms foreign investment if they are "trapped" like this. It would be less of an issue for a big, powerful country like America though.

How is that theft??

If you think taxes are theft...
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »

How is that theft??

Then taxes would be completely unavoidable unless you have no income.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 09:05:39 PM »

Because you can't tax money in another country?  lol

How is that theft??

As it should be, and as is the right of a government. Which by definition is not theft.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »

Because you can't tax money in another country?  lol

How is that theft??

As it should be, and as is the right of a government. Which by definition is not theft.

If a government does not have the consent of its people, they should be free to leave and go to a different country, especially if people are born into citizenship.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 10:03:47 PM »

America would never sanction or invade another country for its own benefit!

laughs in oil
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »

my response would be shrugging and ignoring the question tbh

so what if the rich flee? let them become another brahmin caste in india or something. america would be better off if it's wealthy and professional class/upper middle class left for india
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies