Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:22:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas."  (Read 3370 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: July 22, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »

I'm starting to understand why she underperformed Biden.

The sad thing is that she actually did outrun Biden in a handful of ex-coal counties (such as the infamous Mingo) and ancestral R counties:

Hers was still the worst performance by any Democratic senate candidate in the history of the state, however: an ignoble honor for a very dumb person.

Isn’t this that crazy woman from the documentary with AOC who tried to primary Joe Manchin?

She put up a decent fight against Manchin in the primary in more cosmopolitan counties (Monongalia, Jefferson) and coal counties that just hate incumbent Dems regardless of what they stand for, as in the 2012 presidential primary's infamous saga of Keith Russell Judd, but that campaign was nonetheless a total joke.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 02:02:38 AM »

It's embarrassing and enlightening how quickly this thread has devolved into culture-war sectarianism in response to the notion that good policy and activism should transcend it. Food deserts are just as much a problem in the Black Belt, on Native reservations, and in cities such as mine as they are in white rural areas, and the political response to it should be blind to the partisanship of poverty. Blaming people for "voting against their interests" ignores the decades political agitation that have resulted in realignment. One of LBJ's first visits to promote the "War on Poverty" was to one of the most Republican counties in Kentucky, but there was at least in public none of the "kick them while they're down" scorn that the allegedly cosmopolitan have for those with different experiences and sets of values. Obesity, hunger, and "Mountain Dew mouth" are symptoms of deprivation, as much as smug suburbanites of all stripes cling to their neo-Victorian interpretation of poverty as a sign of moral failure.

Also, does this thread really need to be about abortion? I really, really, really don't think that it does.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if I ever see Kingpoleon and Dule in the same thread without being at loggerheads over the entire foundation of their moral philosophies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies