Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:46:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Former Democratic Senate nominee claims "Ketchup packets are not available in rural areas."  (Read 3261 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 03:00:15 AM »

I'm starting to understand why she underperformed Biden.
Crogers
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:24:19 AM »

Isn’t this that crazy woman from the documentary with AOC who tried to primary Joe Manchin?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:57:56 AM »

She is correct. Rural areas are plagued by a lack of ketchup packets, and yet this administration has failed to put forward a comprehensive plan to apprehend the Hamburglar. The Biden Crime Wave is truly out of control.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:06:49 AM »

A lot of these people are so out of touch that it's completely embarrassing and inexcusable. In her case it's especially ridiculous since, according to Wikipedia, she actually is from a tiny little town.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 07:02:59 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2021, 07:22:33 AM by Frank »

Do any of the people here who have commented live in rural areas?  Because it might be true...

The Great Ketchup Shortage of 2021 — which has led to out of stocks of mostly ketchup packets as restaurants removed germ-encrusted condiment dispensers due to the pandemic — has an end in sight. ... The Wall Street Journal first reported on the ketchup shortage in early April. Apr. 29, 2021

Obviously that was almost three months ago, but it's not a surprise that rural areas would be the last to ketchup in supplies.  (bad joke, but I'm being serious.)

I've heard that other restaurants are experiencing shortages of other packets as well.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »

I'm starting to understand why she underperformed Biden.

The sad thing is that she actually did outrun Biden in a handful of ex-coal counties (such as the infamous Mingo) and ancestral R counties:

Hers was still the worst performance by any Democratic senate candidate in the history of the state, however: an ignoble honor for a very dumb person.

Isn’t this that crazy woman from the documentary with AOC who tried to primary Joe Manchin?

She put up a decent fight against Manchin in the primary in more cosmopolitan counties (Monongalia, Jefferson) and coal counties that just hate incumbent Dems regardless of what they stand for, as in the 2012 presidential primary's infamous saga of Keith Russell Judd, but that campaign was nonetheless a total joke.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »

There are food deserts in Appalachia without either grocery stores nor any fast food chain restaurants. She’s probably talking about the most economically stressed areas in rural America.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »

There are food deserts in Appalachia without either grocery stores nor any fast food chain restaurants. She’s probably talking about the most economically stressed areas in rural America.
Could you identify one such area, ie a county or something that does not have a single grocery store or restaurant ?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:37:32 AM »

Could you identify one such area, ie a county or something that does not have a single grocery store or restaurant ?
The USDA has an entire map of them.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »

That's a measure of distance to the nearest supermarket, It doesn't count resturants or fast food places which would have Ketchup Packets.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »

That's a measure of distance to the nearest supermarket, It doesn't count resturants or fast food places which would have Ketchup Packets.
Most likely for restaurants, in order to save costs they have to just have a fixed section for condiments. I’ve seen it in several smaller fast food joints and in Uni.

I think the point she is making is that many businesses cut corners in rural Appalachia because they are not worth the cost, while the same isn’t the case in more upscale rural areas. A mundane, small difference that is glaring though. And as a poor coal miners daughter with family and links to these areas, she would be the one to know and be impacted by the difference.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »

In the area where I live, none of the fast food restaurants have reopened since they closed over a year ago due to covid.  They are all still just drive-thru only.  Which means you are totally out of luck if you don’t have a car.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 11:29:03 AM »

Swearingin is a random candidate who has no skills to message on the issues. But with that said the concept of a food desert isn't hard to understand and they exist in both rural and urban areas. It's a lack of availability of fresh nutritious food and does not include restaurants.

This is exactly how Democrats should be targeting Republicans. They have control of these rural states, but offer nothing to actually fix the issues. Food deserts are a simple issue to message on and could be solved by creating food co-ops in these areas that would not only provide food but also jobs.
SInNYC

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »

I have no idea what point she is trying to make but I have been to rural burger joints that only have squirt bottles of ketchup, not ketchup packets.  I dont recall if I've seen such in chains (do Mcdonalds franchise rules dictate such stuff?)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »

She is dumb
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:00 PM »

Why not buy bottle ketchup? Or create your own sauce with all the condiments thats around your house to experiment.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »

I grew up in a rural area. I have read both the literature explaining what a food desert is and the literature critiquing that idea. I still have no idea what any of this means.

This is the problem with “progressive” Democrats like Swearingin. They claim to speak for the poor/working class/etc., yet it is painfully obvious most are completely out of touch with them. Even the minority ones in urban areas who actually vote Democratic, as evidenced by Eric Adams winning blowouts in most of the poorest parts of NYC. Even AOC only won mostly because she got woke white gentrifiers to vote in a normally low turnout primary while the actual working class in her district largely stayed home or didn’t vote for her. “Progressives” are totally fake and refuse to accept the reality that their infatuation with the working class is completely one-sided and non-consensual. And not because they haven’t heard their ideas or don’t understand them. They do. It’s just nobody wants what they’re selling. Maybe if they would spend less time pontificating over abstract theories from PhD programs speculating as to what the working class hypothetically should be like, and more time actually visiting or living in these areas in the real world, they’d have a better understanding.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 04:50:57 PM »

Is she wrong? Surely she must be, but I honestly don't know that for sure.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »

Why not buy bottle ketchup? Or create your own sauce with all the condiments thats around your house to experiment.

Not that this is a good point on Swearengin's part (I don't think it is), but if someone doesn't have access to ketchup, it's unlikely they have "all the condiments around their house" either.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »

I grew up in a rural area. I have read both the literature explaining what a food desert is and the literature critiquing that idea. I still have no idea what any of this means.

This is the problem with “progressive” Democrats like Swearingin. They claim to speak for the poor/working class/etc., yet it is painfully obvious most are completely out of touch with them. Even the minority ones in urban areas who actually vote Democratic, as evidenced by Eric Adams winning blowouts in most of the poorest parts of NYC. Even AOC only won mostly because she got woke white gentrifiers to vote in a normally low turnout primary while the actual working class in her district largely stayed home or didn’t vote for her. “Progressives” are totally fake and refuse to accept the reality that their infatuation with the working class is completely one-sided and non-consensual. And not because they haven’t heard their ideas or don’t understand them. They do. It’s just nobody wants what they’re selling. Maybe if they would spend less time pontificating over abstract theories from PhD programs speculating as to what the working class hypothetically should be like, and more time actually visiting or living in these areas in the real world, they’d have a better understanding.

This is so true, and it hits on something that a lot of liberals and progressives don't understand, which is that working class and poor people are much less disgusted by billionaires specifically than they are by out of touch affluent people, especially the college-educated suburban middle class. I'm convinced that the Democrats' endless nosedive in these areas is in large part due to their decision to appeal to the same suburbanites that wouldn't know true financial struggle if it beat them over the head.

Also, the leftwing fascination with the working class strikes me as a sort of woke version of the "White Man's Burden" to bring civilization to foreign lands. That's what all these gonzo journalism articles about NYT reporters leading expeditions into rural America seem like to me.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 05:40:44 PM »

Even if it were true, the fact that this was the best response she could come up with shows how below-average she is.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2021, 08:17:53 PM by Frank »

Even if it were true, the fact that this was the best response she could come up with shows how below-average she is.

That people are commenting here by laughing against her as being out of touch and had no idea of food deserts, the 'great ketchup shortage' that was caused by the need to ramp up supply chains with Covid and other related issues, which have been discussed here in multiple threads, or the general poverty in rural areas that might make it far less likely for these places to even get packages of ketchup, and to respond after mocking her mercilessly as 'stupid' or 'out of touch' with "oh, maybe it is true after all" shows how below-average many of the commenters in this thread have been.

Smug arrogance based on ignorance only shows the stupidity of the commenter.  Obviously there is no point in apologizing to Swearingin, but, as a suggestion, how about actually learning about the facts of the situation before making stupid and ignorant comments?

I'm sorry for the minor insults in these comments, but there are few things that anger me more than smug and stupid cynicism.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »

Ojeda is by far the superior WV Democrat
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 02:41:49 PM »

Yes, she grifted a lot of money from dumb progressives, a great many of whom insisted to me that she was the greatest thing ever and would overperform Joe Manchin, and that I was a corporate neoliberal shill for supporting Manchin.  But just like their other embarrassing failures (Tim Canova, anyone?) they're all busy pretending they've never heard of her.... just looks how many likes her tweets are getting these days, they used to get 10K-100K when the machine was on.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »

That people are commenting here by laughing against her as being out of touch and had no idea of food deserts, the 'great ketchup shortage' that was caused by the need to ramp up supply chains with Covid and other related issues, which have been discussed here in multiple threads, or the general poverty in rural areas that might make it far less likely for these places to even get packages of ketchup, and to respond after mocking her mercilessly as 'stupid' or 'out of touch' with "oh, maybe it is true after all" shows how below-average many of the commenters in this thread have been.

Smug arrogance based on ignorance only shows the stupidity of the commenter.  Obviously there is no point in apologizing to Swearingin, but, as a suggestion, how about actually learning about the facts of the situation before making stupid and ignorant comments?

I'm sorry for the minor insults in these comments, but there are few things that anger me more than smug and stupid cynicism.

It's a nonsense poverty fetishism comment.

West Virginia isn't some sprawling wasteland.  Even in the rural parts, there are many little towns, which have grocery stores and diners, which have ketchup packets.  Unless you live in a ski resort, there's nowhere in West Virginia where you're not <20 minutes from the nearest McDonalds, of which there are also dozens in the state.

People think West Virginia is just a bunch of hillbillies living up in the Appalachian mountains.  The Appalachians don't even go through WV.  They're primarily in western Virginia and WV only has the western foothills.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies