Which is right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:34:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which is right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which is right?  (Read 416 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »

Leslie Nielsen's childhood was a difficult one, but he had one particular shining star in his life-his uncle, who was a well-known actor. The admiration and respect his uncle earned inspired Nielsen to make a career(职业)in acting. Even though he often felt he would be discovered to be a no-talent, he moved forward, gaining a scholarship to the Neighborhood Playhouse and making his first television appearance a few years later in 1948. However, becoming a full-time, successful actor would still be an uphill battle for another eight years until he landed a number of film roles that finally got him noticed.

But even then, what he had wasn't quite what he wanted. Nielsen always felt he should be doing comedy but his good looks and distinguished voice kept him busy in dramatic roles. It wasn't until1980-32 years into his career-that he landed the role it would seem he was made for in Airplane! That movie led him into the second half of his career where his comedic presence alone could make a movie a financial success even when movie reviewers would not rate it highly.

Which is right?
It wasn't until1980-32 years into his career-that he landed the role it would seem he was made for in Airplane!

It wasn't until1980-32 years into his career-that he landed the role. It would seem he was made for in Airplane!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 10:27:18 PM »

The first one is long, and probably difficult for English students, but is correct compared to the second choice. It's a style more often used in speech where the sentence builds to the key object. In this case that object is the movie Airplane. The sentence as given could be more simply expressed, but it would lose the dramatic impact the writer is trying to achieve.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:39:53 AM »

I'd change the em dashes in "until1980-32 years into his career-that" into commas or longer dashes, as when I started reading that sentence, it felt like "1980-32" was a single word. Maybe either "until 1980, 32 years into his career, that" or "until 1980—32 years into his career—that" or something. This helps communicate that '32 years into his career' is a separate clause.

(Additionally, I'd include a space between 'until' and '1980,' but that's just me being pedantic. Tongue)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 09:01:57 PM »

I'd use a semi-colon or a conjunction rather than separate the sentences.

But no, Opt. 1 is a run-on sentence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies