Who Do you Think Is The Most Overrated General of All Time? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:37:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who Do you Think Is The Most Overrated General of All Time? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Do you Think Is The Most Overrated General of All Time?  (Read 1088 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: July 24, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »

Entirely agreed on Rommel and Lee, both highly overrated as individuals (especially Rommel) and as commanders.

Lee was very good at winning largely meaningless tactical victories, Grant was very good at winning strategic victories that change the course of the war.

I'll add in Zhukov, very interesting guy with endless charisma, but I prefer Vasilevsky as a commander.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 04:42:44 PM »

I'll add in Zhukov, very interesting guy with endless charisma, but I prefer Vasilevsky as a commander.

Vasilevsky was a fine staff officer (whose major successes were joint operations with Zhukov), but Zhukov had victories all the way from corps commander to Stavka which no other WW2 general can claim. I also don’t think he’s overrated because people are well aware of his stereotype as a We Have Reserves Soviet general. Even in Russia he was politically out of favour and slighted in official histories until the fall of the USSR.

IDK Zhukov obviously had blunders, but there was more responsibility on his shoulders than any other general in military history. The scale of the battles he fought is staggering. And he got the job done.

While it's true that Zhukov fell out of favor after the war (immediately so really), I feel as if he seems to personify the Soviet war effort in many modern tellings. Hence I said why he is overrated.

As for the scale of Zhukov's battles, he was absolutely a great General and of the highest importance, but you know there are those who say Vasilevsky was the real mastermind behind Stalingrad...

Not just Viktor Suvorov anyways.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies