Washington Post map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Washington Post map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington Post map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries  (Read 1227 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2021, 02:51:11 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 02:55:57 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2021, 03:00:52 AM by MR. NAPHTHALI BENNETT »

So France is unusually racist for Europe (and Britain, Scandinavia, Germany, and Spain unusually non-racist), Japan is unusually non-racist for Asia but still on the racist side overall, the New World as a whole is pretty non-racist compared to the Old, and the Middle East down into South and Southeast Asia is just a man-pile of communalist hatreds, with India as the worst of the worst?

None of this surprises me very much at all, not even the idea of India as the world's most racist country, which seems more and more plausible and even commonsensical the longer the BJP stays in power. Hopefully this will disabuse some people of the notion that the French discourse around Islam (and, conversely, the discourse in much of the Middle East around every religion OTHER than Islam) is/are driven by good-faith moral and cultural concerns.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 03:29:22 AM »

This article is so old I remember looking at it in my high school civics class.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »

We all know who the least racist country is.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 08:07:05 AM »

Intriguing map but I think this may not be as useful given the kind of desirability bias from American and western people who were polled for this.

I think more than 4.9% of Americans would have a problem with having a neighbor of another race, but social desirability bias means that those people won't necessarily admit that to pollsters.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 08:29:47 AM »

We all know who the least racist country is.

Ngl, still find this absolutely hilarious Cheesy
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:53:58 PM »

In Europe i think Islamophobia is the bigger problem instead of racism.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »

…..

Islamophobia is a form of racism.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2021, 04:34:48 PM by parochial boy »

Ah South Africa, land of famously easygoing and relaxed race relations

Anyway, here is the same data for a handful of countries from the 2017-20 wave of the World Values Survey. In which case, apart from Spain and Italy (and maybe the Netherlands and Sweden), the differences are mostly what would fall in to the margin of error. The French in particular seem to have had a rather major change of heart since the previous wave. Which, well...

full data here in case anyone wants to play around in full. But I suspect things like translations, different cultural interpretations of the question (ie not everyone seeing "race" as being the same) and so on and so on put some limitations on the usefulness of the exercise. Even if you do get patterns (the Dutch, Italians and Spanish are also all particularly reticient about having immigrants as neighbours; the Americans and Italians tend to be a little less accepting of homosexuality; Americans are more religious); it's a broad tendencies, not getting hung up on one question.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »

…..

Islamophobia is a form of racism.
I'm not sure since in case of islamophobia, they get discriminated because of religion instead of skin colour [although some will even discriminate arab people because they assume they are religious], but discrimination / anti-sentiment will increase when they wear more protective clothes like hijab or how is that called. But there's certainly a difference between arab people who are not muslim and arab people who are muslim in what chances they get in our society and how people look at them, but some make the assumption all arab people are muslim and so that is also "racism". But it is primarily discrimination based on religion and less on skin colour.

If islamophobia is considered to be racist, they enormously underestimate the amount of racism in Europe, i would say based on what I know 80-90% are racist, with varying degrees, perhaps even higher (as other non-arab minority demographics also are sort of islamophobia mainly). Islamophobia is extremely high, and i think it's even higher in a country like France.

The question, at what point we start talking when someone is racist or islamophobic.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2021, 04:14:19 PM by Laki »

For me personally, i know that religion as a whole bothers me, but I know some moderate muslims who criticize other muslims harshly (one prominent figure, but also around two or three good persons). It very much depends on it. But there is a minority of muslims that i have strong issues with it. I just don't think they do live around my neighbourhood, but more in Brussels (it could be "right-wing propaganda or media" that give you that view), but of course the terrorism acts were 100% real. I don't see radical christians doing that. However my issue is how christian elites dictate how you should live and deny LGBTQ rights, and how some people have idiotic beliefs based on christianism.

Also, there is not enough interaction between "whites" and other cultures i believe, which is part of the reason why people discriminate or have those beliefs. I also think it comes from two sides. I have some issues with lots of posts on social media by some whites, but I also know that I have issues with the behavior of some radical muslims.

During an anti-Israel protest, they were almost only Arab people... and it basically frightened me a bit. I didn't felt part of them, and it really bothered me. It was really a weird realization. Like i was there, but there was still some distance between them and me.

Of course, covid measures, social anxiety and the fact that there was borderline hate speech and flag burnings didn't help the cause either. And I certainly do not have the spirit to be very "active" during those protests. That was the same for the anti-Macron protests... I just walked with them. I do not have the thing in me that will actively look for trouble in that sense (even if i want too). I just feel paralyzed when I need to shout and things like that.

At the same time, i do not feel part of the flemish sentiment... More & more especially after seeing some pollings, i feel like an alien in my own country, and i am starting to be disgusted with a large majority of a majority of white people who live here
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 04:54:32 PM »

Do they give actual list.  I would say Canada probably stands out big time as by far the most tolerant country on earth.  Yes it has a dark past, but today I cannot think of any country on earth that comes close to being as tolerant as Canada.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »

I’m kind of surprised by how tolerant the UK is now, considering in the 80s there was lots of race rioting and National Front attacks.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 05:34:33 PM »

How long until the Washington Post gets cancelled for calling "countries that can't be racist" racist?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 05:48:51 PM »

This map shows the extent to which people in different countries have been browbeaten into saying the correct response to questions like this. It has nothing to do with actual racism, lol. Kudos to Indians for being honest, at least.

Or we could pretend Japan is less racist than France. Or that Pakistan is a bastion of pluralism.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »

Do they give actual list.  I would say Canada probably stands out big time as by far the most tolerant country on earth.  Yes it has a dark past, but today I cannot think of any country on earth that comes close to being as tolerant as Canada.

If Canada is so racially tolerant, why are they so few Black Canadian hockey players in Canada's most popular sport?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

If Canada is so racially tolerant, why are they so few Black Canadian hockey players in Canada's most popular sport?

Only 3% of population in Canada is Black and more and more minorities getting interested in hockey.  Hockey also bigger in rural areas in terms of playing than urban.  We have a Punjabi broadcast of hockey games for example in Canada.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 08:38:36 AM »

This map shows the extent to which people in different countries have been browbeaten into saying the correct response to questions like this

If you genuinely think that is *all* it shows, then you are an idiot. No other way to put it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »

This map shows the extent to which people in different countries have been browbeaten into saying the correct response to questions like this

If you genuinely think that is *all* it shows, then you are an idiot. No other way to put it.
Care to come up with another explanation for why India and Pakistan are on opposite ends of the scale, or how Japan and Finland are in the same tier? Or South Africa being not that racist? Or how Latvia ended up higher than Germany?

My explanation (i.e. the question is sh**t) explains the results much better than what the WaPo or the researchers are suggesting.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »

Care to come up with another explanation for why India and Pakistan are on opposite ends of the scale, or how Japan and Finland are in the same tier? Or South Africa being not that racist? Or how Latvia ended up higher than Germany?

My explanation (i.e. the question is sh**t) explains the results much better than what the WaPo or the researchers are suggesting.

For India and Pakistan, I read somewhere re: this map that Pakistanis understand "race" to mean something similar to "tribe", and most Pakistanis have no problem living next to someone of a different tribe. Whereas in India, "race" is more associated with religion or caste, and Indians aren't necessarily so tolerant of that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »

The best explanation is that comparing polling from various different countries will rely on such vastly different polling methodologies that any comparison will be unscientific junk.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 02:38:19 AM »

The best explanation is that comparing polling from various different countries will rely on such vastly different polling methodologies that any comparison will be unscientific junk.

I don't know. I mean I know there is a tendency on here to reject this sort of comparative politics, with a very good reason. But I don't think the World Values Survey is totally without value, and that is totally without value to say stuff like "Saudi Arabia is generally more religious than Sweden" and to try to find some way to quantify that.

The problem is, individual questions are going to be distorted by the translations, cultural interpretations of the question (Race to an American is not the same thing as Race to a Brazilian), and people interpreting the question through the angle of their domestic politics (a Swede might be comfortable with "more inequality" in Sweden while being horrified at the levels of it in the USA).

That is why the survey is 200 odd questions long and attacks these issues frmo multiple angles though. If anything, the failure was on the part of the Washington Post on pulling out one single question to prove its point, rather than aggregating all of the questions on race/ethnicity/cultural diversity that the survey asks
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »

Its a flawed question, yes.

But the reasons for that are much more complex than you made out.

My personal opinion is that the UK (for example) is a significantly less racist country than it was in my youth - but the minority that are still hardened racists are at least as unpleasant with it now as then.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »

i've some doubt on the map, Italian are much more racist of this, and actually have trouble with neighbors with the same race, and somewhere also with the same nationally
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies