SB 104-09: COMET Act of 2021 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:21:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 104-09: COMET Act of 2021 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: SB 104-09: COMET Act of 2021 (Passed)  (Read 4004 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:28 PM »

I'll see what paths there are toward filling in the basic framework Muad'dib has provided, so in the meantime if anyone has preliminary proposals they're more than welcome to provide them.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »

Just an update to say I haven't forgotten about this. Still working on the precise threshold (and I'm keeping Scott's comments in mind) but for now I'd just like to throw a question out to the Senate about whether you think an eligibility requirement of "below X level of income or has not previously received a device via previous federal/regional/privately donated funding" works for you.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2021, 05:01:22 AM »

So what does the current text of the bill look like?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »

So what does the current text of the bill look like?

Quote from: Current Text
AN ACT
To make sure that schools have educational devices for their students and high speed internet in schools.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Educational Technology Grants Act of 2021.

Section 2. Content

1. $75 billion shall be appropriated to school districts and homeschooling students across Atlasia for purchasing devices and educational software. That may include buying laptops/tablets/desktop computers/iPads/iMacs/Macbooks/ for educational use.
2. Funding will be subject to means testing.
3. Funding will be available for two years and then subject to a full review to analyse the educational effectiveness. The Senate then decide if to continue funding for an additional three years.
4. The Government of the Republic of Atlasia shall have full responsibility for funding everything in this Act.
5. No federal government funds may be used for purchase of new or additional school security equipment, including but not limited to surveillance cameras, facial recognition devices, or metal detectors.

Section 3. Support Services

1. Tech Support will include using the existing school technical support staff, who will be eligible to receive training in the relevant devices and technologies.
2. An Atlasian Education Tech Support networking website created to enable better support of those making use of this program.
3. Devices are the property of the Republic of Atlasia and maybe bought at the end of their period of life for $1. There will be no further support provided in relation to this act after this point.
4. Devices not purchased at end of life are to be returned for refurbishment. These will then be used as backup and replacement devices for broken, stolen damaged devices.

Section 4. Taking Effect
1. This Act shall take effect immediately following the passage of this bill.

Also for the new Senate, reiterating my question from earlier about the eligibility requirements. Between one thing and another I've sort of hit a wall in composing the promised amendment and I would like to know where the Senate stands on it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »

I’m a little bit worried about lumping in “educational software” with devices in this manner. Some clarification about exactly which software we’re talking about, or perhaps even an explicit preference for funding student devices first before appropriating anything for software, might be of use here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2021, 12:27:15 AM »

If we can't reach a threshold, just remove the means testing requirement.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2021, 11:51:19 AM »

I’m a little bit worried about lumping in “educational software” with devices in this manner. Some clarification about exactly which software we’re talking about, or perhaps even an explicit preference for funding student devices first before appropriating anything for software, might be of use here.

Good point. Though even general guidelines covering software used only for coursework or aid in certain STEM/social sciences/languages might be too expansive to be of much use. I’ll see what I can do (or what the Senate can come up with).

For the record there isn’t a “we” here, I am simply trying to pick up my line of working where I left off a couple of weeks back, and the impasse is over exactly what threshold is fairest for the kids we need to help with this bill while not doubling up goodies for the more privileged kids who already have access to them, not whether such a threshold is necessary.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »

For the record there isn’t a “we” here, I am simply trying to pick up my line of working where I left off a couple of weeks back, and the impasse is over exactly what threshold is fairest for the kids we need to help with this bill while not doubling up goodies for the more privileged kids who already have access to them, not whether such a threshold is necessary.

Fair enough. I am not very good at scoring bills, so a lot of the work is estimating numbers and letting other senators comment.

I'm thinking that the formula we use could be a sliding scale, based on the average income of school districts. I don't know if that information is available though, so we'll probably need to base it on counties or zipcodes. (Counties could make it harder to target needier areas, of course, and if this money is going to the counties, then they must be required to identify poorer regions and reserve it to them.)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »

Roughly speaking, yes, I am using the costing procedures from the TMTH Act as a guide here. I think given that nobody has preemptively objected to it that I'll go ahead with the wording I mentioned earlier as the basic funding mechanism.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2021, 01:54:16 AM »

Like the Vice President, I must apologize for my less than stellar timelines, though I hope that can be made up for with the new cometary name (and rather substantial filling in) of this bill.

I think it's pretty much seaworthy at this point, but with the lateness of the hour and all the changes that have been made I'd hope other Senators will comment here.

Quote from: Amendment Offered
AN ACT
To make sure that schools have educational devices for their students and high speed internet in schools.

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Educational Technology Grants Act Creating Opportunities for More Educational Technology (COMET) Act of 2021.

Section 2. Content

1. $75 billion shall be appropriated to school districts and homeschooling students across Atlasia for purchasing devices and educational software.
   a. ThatThis may include buying laptops/tablets/desktop computers/iPads/iMacs/Macbooks/purchasing any of the following for educational use.:
      i. laptops,
      ii. tablets,
      iii. desktop computers.
   b. All devices purchased under subsection (a) shall permit installation (and, if necessary, purchase) of the following forms of educational software as necessary:
      i. access to online courses,
      ii. supplemental course materials,
      iii. software systems that aid students in effective learning or comprehension.
   c. Individual schools shall be responsible for determining the choice of devices in subsection (a) and educational software in subsection (b) according to students' learning requirements.
   d. Funds shall be administered to school districts in the following phases, with the cost of the first phase not to exceed $20 billion and succeeding phases not to exceed $15 billion:
      i. phase one, targeting school districts with a median household income in the bottom quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2023;
      ii. phase two, targeting school districts with a median household income in the second quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2025;
      ii. phase three, targeting school districts with a median household income in the third quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2027;
      iv. phase four, targeting school districts with a median household income in the top two quintiles nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2029.

2. Funding will be subject to means testing. No school shall be entitled for treatment as required in section 1 if:
   a. it has an endowment of more than $50,000,000;
   b. it serves a school district with a median household income in the top 10% of households nationwide; or
   c. it has received educational devices or software under federal, state, regional, or private schemes within the last two years from the passage of this Act.

3. Funding for this section will be available for two years and then subject to a full review to analyse the educational effectiveness. The Senate shall then decide ifwhether to continue funding for an additional three years.
4. The Government of the Republic of Atlasia shall have full responsibility for funding everything in this Act.
5. No federal government funds may be used for purchase of new or additional school security equipment, including but not limited to surveillance cameras, facial recognition devices, or metal detectors.

1. Tech Support will include using the existing school technical support staff, who will be eligible to receive training in the relevant devices and technologies.
2. An Atlasian Education Tech Support networking website shall be created by the Department of Education to enable better support of those making use of this program.
3. Devices are the property of the Republic of Atlasia and may be bought at the end of their period of life for $1. There will be no further support provided in relation to this act after this point.
4. Devices not purchased at end of life are to be returned for refurbishment. These will then be used as backup and replacement devices for broken, stolen damaged devices.

Section 4. Taking Effect

The biggest philosophical change is probably explicitly coupling the provision of these devices to educational software above and beyond what Muad'dib gave us. Giving laptops on their own to schools usually does not result in measurable or consistent improvements in academic outcomes, but helping teachers to target specific learning outcomes via this measure does. Hopefully this improves the effectiveness of the bill.

To answer Scott's question, yes, the income of school districts is an available statistic, and to answer Sestak's, educational software as defined here covers the kinds of learning tools that help students advance according to their learning levels plus any additional tools like those used in secondary school STEM/language courses, in experiments, and the like.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2021, 01:24:50 AM »

Minor cleanup in §2.1.d since the numbers stopped adding up to 75 billion somewhere between drafting and posting.

Also nobody has objected yet, or looked at it in all likelihood, so 24 hours to object to this amendment or offer your thoughts since I forgot to do that on Thursday night.

Quote from: Amendment Offered
AN ACT

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Educational Technology Grants Act Creating Opportunities for More Educational Technology (COMET) Act of 2021.

Section 2. Content

1. $75 billion shall be appropriated to school districts and homeschooling students across Atlasia for purchasing devices and educational software.
   a. ThatThis may include buying laptops/tablets/desktop computers/iPads/iMacs/Macbooks/purchasing any of the following for educational use.:
      i. laptops,
      ii. tablets,
      iii. desktop computers.
   b. All devices purchased under subsection (a) shall permit installation (and, if necessary, purchase) of the following forms of educational software as necessary:
   c. Individual schools shall be responsible for determining the choice of devices in subsection (a) and educational software in subsection (b) according to students' learning requirements.
   d. Funds shall be administered to school districts in the following phases, with the cost of the first and second phases not to exceed $20 billion each and succeeding phases not to exceed $15 billion:
      i. phase one, targeting school districts with a median household income in the bottom quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2023;
      ii. phase two, targeting school districts with a median household income in the second quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2025;
      ii. phase three, targeting school districts with a median household income in the third quintile nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2027;
      iv. phase four, targeting school districts with a median household income in the top two quintiles nationwide, to be completed no later than September 1, 2029.

2. Funding will be subject to means testing. No school shall be entitled for treatment as required in section 1 if:
   b. it serves a school district with a median household income in the top 10% of households nationwide; or
   c. it has received educational devices or software under federal, state, regional, or private schemes within the last two years from the passage of this Act.

3. Funding for this section will be available for two years and then subject to a full review to analyse the educational effectiveness. The Senate shall then decide ifwhether to continue funding for an additional three years.

2. An Atlasian Education Tech Support networking website shall be created by the Department of Education to enable better support of those making use of this program.
3. Devices are the property of the Republic of Atlasia and may be bought at the end of their period of life for $1. There will be no further support provided in relation to this act after this point.

Section 4. Taking Effect

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:17 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:37 PM »

Thank you, Ishan.

How does this look for everyone?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2021, 01:00:00 AM »

Looks good. Motioning for a final vote
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2021, 12:02:12 AM »

bump?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2021, 04:10:49 AM »

Looks good. Motioning for a final vote
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2021, 11:33:45 PM »

24 hours to object to the motion.

If Ishan could take it from here I'd be most grateful ; I don't anticipate being online tomorrow or the day after.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2021, 11:25:54 PM »

A vote has been opened.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2021, 11:29:36 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2021, 11:52:57 PM »

For the record, this is what we are voting on:

Quote from: Current Text
AN ACT

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Creating Opportunities for More Educational Technology (COMET) Act of 2021.

Section 2. Content

a. This may include purchasing any of the following for educational use:
      i. laptops,
      ii. tablets,
      iii. desktop computers.
   d. Funds shall be administered to school districts in the following phases, with the cost of the first and second phases not to exceed $20 billion each and succeeding phases not to exceed $15 billion:
2. No school shall be entitled for treatment as required in section 1 if:
3. Funding for this section will be available for two years and then subject to a full review to analyze its educational effectiveness. The Senate shall then decide whether to continue funding for an additional three years.

Section 4. Taking Effect

Scott, when you update the thread title, could you also change the name to reflect Section 1?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2021, 12:28:54 AM »

Extending the vote by 72 hours from now in my capacity as Deputy. What kind of incompetent schedules a vote to happen at exactly the same time as the election?

Yes, I have done it before, shush. Once. At least I contacted people to vote as well!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2021, 12:57:50 AM »

AYE
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp