Is this a valid university? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:23:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is this a valid university? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this a valid university?  (Read 974 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: July 20, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »

It's a shame, because the church literally brands itself as LGBT friendly, theologically conservative, and orthodox on Eucharistic matters, and that's the feeling I get from the Bishop's sermons. That's a great deal more in line with my beliefs and style than the Episcopal Church, especially having used the pandemic to partake in some online services and see which ones are more Gospel-centered and which ones are more... well, Harry Potter-centered. (I wish this was an exaggeration.)
A "denomination" that appears to be a single congregation is typically able to have more uniformity of belief and liturgical styles than a denomination with several thousand.

Not only does it not physically exist, but looking at the profiles of the professors, the school does not appear to have any full-time faculty. One’s a nurse, another’s a grad student in Ireland, one’s a librarian. The only one listed as a full professor is also the presiding bishop of the denomination. This looks like it's basically the operation of one or a handful of people.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 04:25:36 PM »

What's weird is that an old book I used to own (basically a modern introduction to progressive Christianity) had all the mainline, pro-LGBT churches listed on the last pages and one of them was the "Old Catholic Church". But when I looked that up, all I could find were pre-Vatican II churches that sure as heck ain't open and affirming.
Usually I see "Old Catholic" used to refer to the churches of the Union of Utrecht, which do bless same-sex marriages. There's a variety of very small US groups, including the one you mentioned, theEvangelical Catholic Church (about the same size), the United Catholic Church (about the same size), the Reformed Catholic Church (slightly larger), and the Orthodox-Catholic Church of America (slightly larger), that all claim descent or inspiration or some sort of kinship with the Union of Utrecht. For its part, the Union has never shown much interest in establishing a US branch, and has been in full communion with the ECUSA for nearly a century.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies