Most spiritual moment.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:06:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Most spiritual moment.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most spiritual moment.  (Read 568 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »

I thought this would be an interesting topic, even if my response isn't necessarily the most conventional.

It was my first kiss. I'd participated in sacraments, performed rituals, prayer, exaltation through song but that first kiss was genuinely the most rooted, but completely unrooted experience of my life as awkward and scrappy as it was. It was both release and validation. Queerness as spirituality; 'Andrew you were right'. Sex came later, with a different man but as wonderful as that was and is, there's something really otherworldly about this human ritual, this connection that even sex doesn't really capture.

The second most spiritual experience was really just a cascade of everything just being perfect. It was a late September and we made the boat crossing to the Isle of Arran; it was unseasonably warm and the heat had flushed up jelly fish and basking sharks up the Firth of Clyde which we saw while we crossed. We arrived in Arran, got the bus to the mountainous north and there were wild deer all over the village there. Just a whole herd and the stag walking about the village and the sun was just beating down. The stag would stare us down as if we were nothing. We visited the distillery and had whisky and got ready for a slightly boozy walk when the tour guide grabbed me and pointed up and pointed at a golden eagle; symbols of the distillery (check the bottling) hovering over the hill, something he claimed was pretty special to see. And in moments like that, you don't grab a camera. You just watch. Along the coast where we is a formation called (one of) 'Hutton's Unconformity'; where James Hutton found evidence of the earth being much older than previously assumed due to the rock formations (sounds boring, but really beautiful) and close by is the Fairy Dell where offerings are made to it's never seen inhabitants. It's one of my favourite juxtapositions, after the 'rubbed for luck' toe of the David Hume statue in Edinburgh. And when we reached there we stopped and sat, and Michael picked wild raspberries and we saw the sharks again and then a massive flotilla of sailing boats swept into view and I thought, for the first time in my life, I could drop dead there and then and it would have been a perfect last day.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »

I thought this would be an interesting topic, even if my response isn't necessarily the most conventional.

It was my first kiss. I'd participated in sacraments, performed rituals, prayer, exaltation through song but that first kiss was genuinely the most rooted, but completely unrooted experience of my life as awkward and scrappy as it was. It was both release and validation. Queerness as spirituality; 'Andrew you were right'. Sex came later, with a different man but as wonderful as that was and is, there's something really otherworldly about this human ritual, this connection that even sex doesn't really capture.
"Greek erotics has the advantage of being more ideal due to its unrealizability." (HERDER)
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 12:17:00 PM »

The moment I first realized why nerds like to "square" things in all their mumbo-jumbo equations (e.g., E=mc2)

It's just an inverse square law due to the simple propagation of "stuff" (like, everything) in 3-d Euclidean space. 

That was the Eureka moment when I realized God Is Dead. 

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 12:35:15 AM »

near death experience in feb of 2020. i don't talk about it much but i will go into it a little bit here.

as weird as it's sounds, when i was unconscious, and came back, immediately after i came back i was "surprised" about it if that makes sense. i couldn't think well, at least in any coherent way, but i know i felt surprise. like my body or unconscious mind somehow didn't expect consciousness to return.

i spent several months afterwards very much wondering if i was still alive, or if i was in some sort of bizarre limbo afterlife. the fact that this event happened right before COVID hit really made it weird and contributed to that sort of questioning, I think.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 01:09:24 AM »

"Greek erotics has the advantage of being more ideal due to its unrealizability." (HERDER)
Trust me, as a closeted gay person, the first kiss is very real and amazingly ideal.

lol, how is his experience unreal when it occurred? Very tough philosophical question 4 u :^)
Georg Ebner
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »

Trust me, as a closeted gay person, the first kiss is very real and amazingly ideal.

lol, how is his experience unreal when it occurred? Very tough philosophical question 4 u :^)
HERDER didn't mean the animalic Venus (emotions&copulations), but the human one (desire&erotics), which is - even in its heterosexual variant - per se unfullfillable: As soon as a hunter realizes, that his supposed prey has captured him long before he fired his first shot; that the supposedly pure virgin is all too open for him - he must be quite stupid to continue pentrating her. Man is never long good enough for reaching his target. And even if he can sully the concrete person, what he is really longing for remains a clean temple.
In short: The conditio humana is not trivial, it is tragical. "History is all about the suffering human being." (BURCKHARDT) "We either learn to read human history from Greek tragedy, or we never learn to read it." (GOMEZ DAVILA)
As a result, e.g., all poetry is grouped latently around tragedy. (Which is, why SHAKESPEARE will have been quite certainly the greatest of all poets.)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »

HERDER didn't mean the animalic Venus (emotions&copulations), but the human one (desire&erotics), which is - even in its heterosexual variant - per se unfullfillable: As soon as a hunter realizes, that his supposed prey has captured him long before he fired his first shot; that the supposedly pure virgin is all too open for him - he must be quite stupid to continue pentrating her. Man is never long good enough for reaching his target. And even if he can sully the concrete person, what he is really longing for remains a clean temple.
Afleitch I believe is in a civil partnership that has lasted a decade or more. He is getting, from what I have viewed in his posts; consistent stimuli of desire, copulation, erotic foreplay, and emotional reaction.

You understand you are making two contradictory statements by saying one cannot get these from a hetero relationship, right?
Georg Ebner
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 05:58:06 PM »

Afleitch I believe is in a civil partnership that has lasted a decade or more. He is getting, from what I have viewed in his posts; consistent stimuli of desire, copulation, erotic foreplay, and emotional reaction.

You understand you are making two contradictory statements by saying one cannot get these from a hetero relationship, right?
But i clearly said, that You can get copulation aso. ("Venus animalis"). It's just, that the "Venus caelestis" is realiter unfullfillable in a hetero- and even more so in a homosexual relationship. The wording of HERDER was really not hard to understand.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »

But i clearly said, that You can get copulation aso. ("Venus animalis"). It's just, that the "Venus caelestis" is realiter unfullfillable in a hetero- and even more so in a homosexual relationship. The wording of HERDER was really not hard to understand.
Well it is easy when you don’t pack it in fluffy allegories instead of speaking to the point.

What then separates a hetero and homo relationship then in order for it to be easier to live a fulfilling life?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 04:40:05 PM »

When I took communion for the first time, I was filled with indescribable peace and joy, and in my heart it was confirmed that I was doing the right thing in my life. I was already intellectually certain of this, but my certainty transcended the intellectual and I knew it on a far deeper level.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:00:26 PM »

Well it is easy when you don’t pack it in fluffy allegories instead of speaking to the point.

What then separates a hetero and homo relationship then in order for it to be easier to live a fulfilling life?
HERDER alone was already clear enough, i expressed it as simple as possible - obviously You do not want to understand it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »

HERDER alone was already clear enough, i expressed it as simple as possible - obviously You do not want to understand it.
No, what I did get from the passage is that Herder wasn’t a fan of just sticking it in all the holes exclusively.

I’m not sure how Herder’s wish to get a handjob every so often is related to any of this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies