SR 104-08: Finish the Damn Audit Resolution (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:36:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 104-08: Finish the Damn Audit Resolution (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SR 104-08: Finish the Damn Audit Resolution (Tabled)  (Read 3854 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:59:08 PM »

This is a pretty simple resolution. I voted on HB 1283 all the way back when I was Representative. My administration completed a small portion of the audit, and the last news we had of it was in May of 2019, during tmth's SOTU address.

The GM team continues to work on the audit of the federal government as we eliminate excess waste.

Since then, we've had no word of it. The GM worked with my admin (specifically the DPC) when we completed the bit that we did. At the very least we need to remind the GM and this administration that part of what we can do to help folks is to make sure we aren't spending money where it isn't needed at all. That's what an audit would help do.

weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:56:22 PM »

I was about to author a bill abolishing Selective Service only to realize we already did that, so I'm offering this amendment:

Quote from: Amendment
Section III. Content

1. The Senate of Atlasia calls for the federal audit described in HB 1283 to be completed as soon as reasonably possible, and for the completion of the audit to be a priority of the current administration.

2. This audit must include federal savings incurred from the dissolution of the Selective Service System.

Is the Selective Service even in the budget? I would assume not considering that was passed 5 years ago but perhaps I am wrong.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »

Alright, amendment is friendly. If we find out that it's not needed since it's already accounted for, then we can always strike it out with another amendment.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »

In part I do actually agree with Sestak's comment. Perhaps we should do our own audit? I'm not entirely sure how we could do it but if the results were supposed to be publicly released anyway it would make sense to not keep it to only the executive and GM.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »

I'm not in favor of making the game even more tedious. It is supposed to be a fun way to pass time and have debates.
Still makes sense to not spend money that we could spend elsewhere without making any actual issues occur. Sometimes there's bureaucracy that isn't needed. We are supposed to have some sense of realism here. No rules makes things fun for a while but trying to do things with constraints can be, in my opinion, even more fun.

Hell even Peanut said we needed this to happen regularly waaaay back when we were talking about the audit in my admin

Peanut — 01/06/2019
That's what I mean, we should have an audit biannually, in June and December, maybe
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 11:36:46 PM »

I'm willing to restructure the resolution to instead have a new audit conducted by the CG. I just think we seriously need to make sure that money isn't wasted.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »

Nay.

Anyone who thinks we should have an audit without even having the proper tools yet should volunteer for the job themselves.

I'm willing to help out. We got a whole department done in a night under my admin. The tools are there  and it won't take much effort to get them. I would assume the GM still has the info that my GM had.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 07:07:18 PM »

Alright. If WB is able to conduct the audit, far be it for me to prevent him. I change my vote to Nay.
I want to point out that I didn’t say that I was volunteering to do it entirely on my own, but I want to get the ball rolling here and I’m willing to work on any info that we are provided with the President and his cabinet. But it’s easy enough to ask for the information, which is in part what this resolution is meant to do. With that we can finally start something that should have been done years ago.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 11:44:01 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2021, 05:30:43 AM by Senator and Chair WB »

I also think it would be in the interest of the executive branch or the Senate to designate a task force on government waste. But, do keep in mind that most government waste is a drop in the bucket and the only way to effectively reduce our deficit is through big defense cuts and tighter welfare and Social Security rules. (I will not support any proposal to cut public health funding or Social Security.)
That’s why, during our audit, the GM proposed cuts for each program. It being Mr. R, almost everything was a 25% cut. We obviously didn't always follow that advice. I remember that pretty well though I will need to find the conversation where this happened to demonstrate it. But what I’m saying is that an audit also will show where we can make cuts without actually hurting the vast majority of people.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »

why are people voting on the tabling anymore? I assume no one here is a personification of Explorer right???
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 11:40:10 AM »

Slow/delayed responses
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »

Unless someone volunteers to be CG, I don't know what we can do with this.
honestly unless someone volunteers to be CG I don't know what we can do with pretty much any legislation that's meaningful.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 11:08:50 AM »

since this is just a resolution I ask that this be put up for a vote. I think we can agree it needs to be done, when a new CG is in office. After all, the resolution calls for the audit to be completed "as soon as reasonably possible", and as soon as reasonably possible will be after a CG is appointed. As much as I hate knowing this isn't gonna happen for a while I believe having it on our minds will help.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »

Withdrawing the request for a final vote. I’m gonna try to make this into a bill creating a task force to complete the audit. Idea off the top of my head is 6 members chosen to be proportionally similar to the Senate (so probably 3 lab, 2 fed, 1 DA/Ind for this next senate) and needing 4/6 votes to make cuts or to try and reverse previous cuts.

I’m somewhat sleep deprived so that idea might not be the best, I want to see how you all think first before making those changes.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 02:05:12 PM »

Withdrawing the request for a final vote. I’m gonna try to make this into a bill creating a task force to complete the audit. Idea off the top of my head is 6 members chosen to be proportionally similar to the Senate (so probably 3 lab, 2 fed, 1 DA/Ind for this next senate) and needing 4/6 votes to make cuts or to try and reverse previous cuts.
Why would the commission do any cuts aside from cuts to the military seeing as nobody likes cuts.

You’d be surprised how my admin was with Reactionary’s cuts in the audit we did. We watered most of them down but we agreed to a lot more than you’d think especially considering that it was pretty left wing.

Either way doesn’t really matter, I forgot today was the last day of my term.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 01:19:10 PM »

I’m somewhat sleep deprived so that idea might not be the best, I want to see how you all think first before making those changes.

I suppose I should work on this since I'm back Tongue hopefully I'll have that change done tonight.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »

Introducing this amendment:

A RESOLUTION
To create a Congressional task force to finish the audit

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

Section I. Title

1. This bill may be known as the Finish the Damn Audit Resolution.

Section II. Background

1. The Congress of Atlasia, on July 28, 2018, passed HB 1283, the Audit the Federal Government Act. The federal audit described in HB 1283 has still yet to conclude.

Section III. Content
1. The Senate of Atlasia calls for the federal audit described in HB 1283 to be completed as soon as reasonably possible, and for the completion of the audit to be a priority of the current administration.
1. The Senate of Atlasia shall create a 6-member task force to conduct the audit described in HB 1283, including releasing all findings of the audit publicly.
2. The 6 members of the task force shall be members of the Senate, selected by the Senate by majority vote. The composition of the task force shall be politically similar to the composition of the Senate.
a. Should a member of the task force leave the Senate by any means, they shall be replaced by someone of the same party. Should no one from their party be available, or if they are an independent, the Senate shall select a replacement.
3. The Senate asks for any relevant documents that are necessary for the audit to be completed to be given to the Task Force as soon as possible.

Hopefully I covered all the bases here but I get the feeling I didn't. But hey that's what amendments are for, right?
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 11:48:30 PM »

I'd be willing to scale it down to 3 and making the appointment process different.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 10:37:16 PM »

NAY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: