Oregon Governor Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:17:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon Governor Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon Governor Megathread  (Read 16586 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 13, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »

Treasurer Tobias Read is running

Endorsed. He seems like a good guy with good ideas. If I lived in OR I'd vote for him in the primary even if it meant temporarily becoming an independent/Democrat.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 09:12:12 PM »

The OP reallllly needs to update thread name now that Kristof's literally been disqualified and in light of NOVA Green's recent news update.

I have manually done so for this post.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 11:51:07 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2022, 01:35:10 AM by Senator CentristRepublican »

How so? Republicans lost there in a blue year because they nominated an unpopular extremist too conservative for the meidan voter. In OR, Democrats don't appear to be considering nominating an extremist/radical who'd cost nearly enough votes to lose the GE.

EDIT: Forgot to manually correct thread title and did so now.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2022, 12:20:23 PM by Senator CentristRepublican »

How so? Republicans lost there in a blue year because they nominated an unpopular extremist too conservative for the meidan voter. In OR, Democrats don't appear to be considering nominating an extremist/radical who'd cost nearly enough votes to lose the GE.

EDIT: Forgot to manually correct thread title and did so now.
I'm talking about a governor election in a likely/safe state in a wave year where the party the national environment doesn't prefer has a term-limited extremely unpopular governor, and there is a spoiler independent candidate taking votes from the same party.

That's fair, but I think in KS the GOP could've easily held on if they nominated someone not too closely associated with Brownback, maybe someone a tad more moderate. They instead picked Kobach, his second-in-command. Because 2018 was blue and the entire Brownback/Kobach administration was unpopular, Kobach (tied closely to Brownback) lost by a decent margin (with a spoiler).

Here we have some of those ingredients but not all of them. Yes, Kate Brown is unpopular, but I don't think Speaker of the House Kotek is as closely tied to her as Kobach was to Brownback (he was literally in the Brownback administration).

And Greg Orman isn't Betsy Johnson. Johnson is drawing votes from both sides (again - ORGOP's 2018 nominee enodrsed her); Orman actually helped Kobach and hurt Kelly by drawing some anti-Kobach and centre-left votes. Betsy Johnson is a gadfly who will probably win a decent chunk of the vote but it'll be taken about evenly from Democrats and Republicans and kill any spoiler effect she may have.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 03:30:45 PM »

Hot take: She doesn't break 15%
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies