Oregon Governor Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon Governor Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: Oregon Governor Megathread  (Read 16662 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2022, 04:56:07 PM »

Ok--- I started working on this last night, but since unfortunately I need to manually tabulate % by party by county it's slightly more labor intensive than it should be.

Here is a map showing % of RV turnout by Party based upon the OR-SoS- 11/4/22 AM ballot return update.

A few brief observations:

1.) Republicans lead in almost every part of Oregon when it comes to the % of their registered voters who have already returned ballots

2.) The turnout differential is most pronounced in most of Eastern and Central Oregon.

The major exception in that part of the state is Deschutes County, which has been increasingly trending Democratic in the era of Trump, and perhaps significantly includes the city of Bend, which might be considered a positive side in the heavily competitive CD-05 election.

3.) Democrats continue to maintain a decent turnout lead along the Oregon Coast.

This includes both solidly Democratic counties (Lincoln, Clatsop), solidly Republican Coos County, and Lean Republican Tillamook & Curry counties.

Note these counties have a much higher % of older voters than most parts of the State.

4.) Overall there appears to be rough parity in Turnout in most of non-Coastal Southern Oregon, including in the critical "rump" of CD-04 (Douglas and Lane counties).

Turnout in Lane County is still lagging significantly across the board, which as a Democratic stronghold, might be an issue if this continues and especially if the OR-GOV election ends up being close as some polling has indicated.

5.) PUB Turnout leads in both Marion and Linn are notable, since the former is a crucial part of CD-06 with the City of Salem being a solid DEM stronghold, Keizer a moderate PUB base.

In Linn County a significant PUB TO differential could create issues in CD-05, since this is basically the solid base of PUB voters now with the 2022 redistricting lines.

6.) Yamhill and Polk county numbers are relatively close for both and as tilt PUB counties could be of minor benefit to PUB chances in CD-05.

7.) PDX 'Burbs---

Clackamas County numbers are close, and with DEMs have a county wide +6.5k voter registration lead do not yet indicate any major warning signs for DEMs.

Now, we don't know where the ballots are being returned from and since the county has a mixture of some heavily affluent PDX 'burbs and exurbs such as Lake Oswego, Happy Valley, Beavercreek, and West Linn, a decent chunk of rural, small town, and far outer exurban voters, this will likely be a critical county to watch on election night since really it is difficult to see a PUB GOV victory without taking Clackamas by decent margins.

Washington County turnout numbers are definitely an issue of concern for DEMs, since this county has moved over the past couple decades from being a swing county to a pivotal part of the DEM winning margins in OR, especially as many parts of small town and rural OR have move heavily Republican.

Again we don't know exactly where the votes are being returned from, so not much in the way of tea leaves when it comes to CD-06 since the Southeastern portions of the county include some fairly swingy upper-income 'burbs which have been moving DEM starting with Obama and more so with Trump as the PUB standard barer.

8.) Multnomah County---

This is a major issue for DEMs...

Although PUBs have become virtually an endangered species in recent years within the county, with a +230k net DEM voter registration advantage, you simply gotta do better than the current +61k net DEM TO numbers.

MultCo has always been critical to successful DEM statewide election margins, and in fact basically was the reason why Dukakis won OR in '88.

Now, it could be that voters in Multnomah County, and especially in the city of Portland are still weighing their choices in other elections, but really DEMs need to step up their GOTV game here considerably to put a final nail in the coffin of the OR-GOV race.

9.) The relatively low turnout to date of Non-affiliated-voters (NAVs) and 3rd party voters is significant and a potential wild card since OR has had automatic voter registration since '18 and in lower turnout elections the lack of certain NAVs that might be more predisposed towards one party or the other, could prove to be critical.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »

This change in election law was complete BS in every way and frankly ballots that come in after Election Day should not be counted and that’s how it used to be in Oregon too
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2022, 08:30:05 PM »

This change in election law was complete BS in every way and frankly ballots that come in after Election Day should not be counted and that’s how it used to be in Oregon too

Why should ballots postmarked election day not be counted?

How is that any different from voters dropping it off at the designated ballot drop boxes in various states and counties?

Also, arguably California and Washington State have allowed ballots post-marked to be counted as well, so it makes it a bit less confusing for newer voters, especially transplants from fellow West Coast states.

Plus one could make an argument, that this actually also benefits Republican turnout as well, especially considering that many Republicans living in rural areas are much further distances from ballot drop boxes than in the cities of Oregon, which tend to generally be much more Democratic, with some exceptions such as Medford, Keizer, and some smaller to medium sized cities such as Lebanon, Dallas, etc...

One should note as well that now that ballots do not require a postage stamp it makes it more accessible to voters, (who rightly IMHO) believe that one should not have to pay for the right to vote.

Again notably this offers advantage to many Republican base voters as well, such as Seniors on fixed incomes, WWC voters with low incomes, etc...

Still, just because one might perceive this as benefiting one political base more than another (which quite frankly I still find a confusing argument), doesn't mean that it is good public policy to allow for  the voting process to be more accessible to larger pools of voters.

I will also note, that if we look at the dramatic increase in total Republican vote in OR between '16 and '20, it is entirely plausible that both the automatic voting registration (AVR) enacted for the '18 GE, combined with the easier access to voting, likely played a significant roll in both PUB PRES swings in Republican parts of OR, as well as significant increase in NET PUB votes as well.

Needless to say, this is likely part of the reason why the OR CD-04 numbers were much closer than many had predicted, since many of these "newer" voters basically went straight-ticket PUB.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:34 PM »

Okay--- time for the daily OR ballot update.

11/7/22 9:54 AM DROP

Significant increase in total % of votes received between the 11/4/22 and the 11/7/22 update.

The part that gets a bit confusing for those attempting to cover the OR daily ballot return numbers, is that some counties are still working through recovering the numbers from the previous workdays returns and don't meet the state SoS publishing deadlines to report all numbers, but instead you get the "carryover" numbers from the preceding reporting period in the following daily returns, but yet allocated to the date in which ballots were received from boxes or via US Mail batches.

Regardless, I might get to that part a little bit later on in a subsequent post this PM, but will simply start with doing my usual drill of running the topline numbers from the official OR-SoS AM data dump after having posted the previous working-days official SoS reporting numbers:

11/04/22 UPDATE

DEM: 357,866 Returned     (+45,786 DVs Day-On-Day)
DEM: 1,020,961 Registered
DEM TO %: 35.1% TOTAL TO to date (+4.5% Day-On-Day)

PUB: 292,391 Returned   (+39,884 RVs Day-On-Day)
PUB: 736,671 Registered
PUB TO %: 39.7% TO to date  (+5.4% Day-On-Day)

OTHERS: 219,118 Returned    (+32,194 RVs Day-On-Day)
OTHERS: 1,236,032 Registered
OTHERS TO %: 17.7% TO to date  (+2.6% Day-On-Day)

11/07/22 UPDATE

TOTAL VOTES RETURNED TO DATE= 1,080,052 (36.0% of RVs)   
+210,677 (11/4 > 11/7) (+7.0% increase of Total RVs).

DEM: 446,224 Returned     (+88,378 DVs Day-On-Day)
DEM: 1,020,328 Registered
DEM TO %: 43.7% TOTAL TO to date (+8.6% Day-On-Day)

PUB: 355,525 Returned   (+63,134 RVs Day-On-Day)
PUB: 736,818 Registered
PUB TO %: 48.3% TO to date  (+8.6% Day-On-Day)

OTHERS: 278,283 Returned    (+59,165 RVs Day-On-Day)   
OTHERS: 1,239,498 Registered
OTHERS TO %: 22.5% TO to date  (+4.8% Day-On-Day)

Thinking about following up with another post shortly, since after all it is "Election Eve", which typically only happens in most places every two years in the US for GE, with the exception of more unusual things like special elections, off-cycle GOV elections in certain states such as VA & NJ, etc...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2022, 12:10:42 AM »

Looking like quite possibly, the OR-DEM stronghold of MultCo is coming through with a last minute surge...

WashCo also looking decent.

Deschutes numbers are a bit through the roof, making me wonder if Jamie will get a bit of a "home town boost" from Bend area in her new district.

ClackCo numbers look a bit low???

Marion County numbers are interesting, especially since vast majority of voters are in Metro Salem in CD-06, plus one of the highest % of Latino voters by county in Oregon???

To be continued...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2022, 01:25:20 AM »

So... elections in Oregon have entered a brand and brave new world starting in '15 and continuing into '22 where we now have:

1.) VBM passed overwhelmingly in GE '98

2.) AVR (Automatic Voter Registration) passed into law 3/15 by Governor Kate Brown

3.) Expansions of voting rights in '22 when it came to: 

A.) Free postage for "Mail-In-Ballots"

B.) Ballots postmarked Election Day by the USPS are "Same Day Ballots" (Deleted a brief rant regarding FL '00 US-PRES GE), just like they should be for US Military Service Members overseas...

4.) Honestly I have no fracking idea what TO in OR will be once all of the ballots have been counted in the GE '22 election.

5.) Personally, I suspect that overall DEM RV leads will most likely overcome significantly higher PUB RV EV TO than we have seen in OR-GE *at this point* in the election cycles (Obviously same-day ballots could be a thing) for quite some years.

6.) There is definitely a reason why Oregon is so much in the headlights these days for elections, and it is not entirely Timber Unity related.

Maybe a few more thoughts to come tonight on this topic.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2022, 02:46:50 AM »

Thought it might be interesting to look at the top ten counties in OR by POP and voter ballots received as of earlier today...

Food for thought, and haven't really made up my mind about what that means exactly yet, although certainly Deschutes County stands out pretty dramatically, especially with the overwhelming % of DEM voters there are in CD-05 and not CD-02.

Jackson County TO numbers are also interesting, especially since there aren't any competitive elections on the ballot, and plus POP isn't as old as elsewhere, and certainly not Up North in Douglas.

Still confused a bit as to why Metro PDX reporting numbers are running so slow, but obviously there is easily potentially 300k+ DEM voting ballots yet to be returned from MultCo and WashCo alone in a couple counties where it is doubtful that Johnson will be able to perform well in come Election Day.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2022, 08:25:23 AM »

What are your final thoughts on OR-04, 5 and 6 based on this?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »

Stuff like this makes people think elections are rigged cause this is 100% inexcusable .
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2022, 07:08:15 PM »

Here are the updated numbers from the OR SoS Daily Ballot Return posted 10:31 AM today.

As usual with open with the preceding days numbers:

11/07/22 UPDATE

TOTAL VOTES RETURNED TO DATE= 1,080,052 (36.0% of RVs)   
+210,677 (11/4 > 11/7) (+7.0% increase of Total RVs).

DEM: 446,224 Returned     (+88,378 DVs Day-On-Day)
DEM: 1,020,328 Registered
DEM TO %: 43.7% TOTAL TO to date (+8.6% Day-On-Day)

PUB: 355,525 Returned   (+63,134 RVs Day-On-Day)
PUB: 736,818 Registered
PUB TO %: 48.3% TO to date  (+8.6% Day-On-Day)

OTHERS: 278,283 Returned    (+59,165 RVs Day-On-Day)   
OTHERS: 1,239,498 Registered
OTHERS TO %: 22.5% TO to date  (+4.8% Day-On-Day)

11/08/22 UPDATE

TOTAL VOTES RETURNED TO DATE= 1,080,052 (46.4% of RVs)   
+309.878 (11/7-11/8) (+10.4% increase of Total RVs).

DEM: 573,627 Returned     (+127,403 DVs Day-On-Day)     
DEM: 1,020,636 Registered
DEM TO %: 56.2% TOTAL TO to date (+12.5% Day-On-Day)

PUB: 440,920 Returned   (+89,395 RVs Day-On-Day)     440,920
PUB: 737,126 Registered
PUB TO %: 60.4% TO to date  (+12.1% Day-On-Day)

OTHERS: 371,383 Returned    (+93,100 RVs Day-On-Day)   
OTHERS: 1,239,716 Registered
OTHERS TO %: 30.0% TO to date  (+7.5% Day-On-Day)

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2022, 09:27:53 PM »

Updated Turnout map by party for largest counties in Oregon, plus a few others in critical CD races.

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2022, 02:29:08 PM »

Kotek wins in Oregon.

Idk how I feel about not leaving the governor slot blank. Looking forward to the precinct level results, swings, and trends!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »

Kotek wins in Oregon.

Idk how I feel about not leaving the governor slot blank. Looking forward to the precinct level results, swings, and trends!

Why has CNN not called Oregon yet?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »

I've got a tricky question for you:
Even though Tina Kotek is likely to have won the gubernatorial election in Oregon, she will not be the first openly lesbian governor in the history of the United States.
Why?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2022, 05:31:15 PM »

Even though Tina Kotek is likely to have won the gubernatorial election in Oregon, she will not be the first openly lesbian governor in the history of the United States.
Why?

I’m guessing Healy gets sworn in first?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2022, 05:54:37 PM »

Why?

I’m guessing Healy gets sworn in first?

Correct! 👍🏻

The elected governor of Massachusetts is inaugurated on the Thursday after the first Wednesday following January 1, i.e. January 5, 2023, in Healey's case.

The elected governor of Oregon, on the other hand, takes office on the second Monday of January, i.e. January 9, 2023, in Kotek's case.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »

When I came back to the forum in June one of my first predictions was for this election in which I said that it would resemble Connecticut's gubernatorial election from 2018. I'm too lazy to go back and find the exact post, but I think I deserve some accolades. The margin is also almost identical too.

I've gotten few predictions right this year, in ways that I am actually glad about, so I have no shame in reveling in this one.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2022, 02:23:02 AM »

Drazan is officially below Buehler's 2018 numbers (43.5% Vs. 43.7%) and is likely to decline even further, absolutely embarrassing of those who thought she had a chance. Wouldn't be surprised for Kotek to pull this off by 5 points + at this point and it's clear most Betsy supporters were disaffected Democrats.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2022, 04:28:23 PM »

Kotek won which is good, but the OR-Dems didn't do too well in the rest of the state.   In the state senate they lost three districts (6, 11, and 16) and only flipped one (20), meaning the majority next year will be 16-14.   State House looks like they lost seats too but some are too early to call.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #244 on: November 11, 2022, 04:54:03 PM »

Kotek won which is good, but the OR-Dems didn't do too well in the rest of the state.   In the state senate they lost three districts (6, 11, and 16) and only flipped one (20), meaning the majority next year will be 16-14.   State House looks like they lost seats too but some are too early to call.

6 = Lane County boonies. All hail our new dentist-firefighter overlords!
11 = Woodburn to Salem along I-5
16 = northern coast, Betsy Johnson’s home turf

Makes sense that 20 flipped, it’s way more suburban now (contains Oregon City, Gladstone, and most of Happy Valley) and borders Multnomah County around I-205.  

Unsurprisingly all of the Vietnamese D candidates are winning their State House seats
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2022, 09:51:22 AM »

This race has been over and done with for some time now but I wanted to pop in here just to say that the Nike guy bankrolling Betsy Johnson but then flipping to Drazan at the last minute when polling showed she was competitive only to cause Johnson to hemorrhage support putting Kotek back in the lead is probably one of the funniest political own-goals in recent years and one of the only examples I can point to of a major, well-connected donor actively minimizing their interests.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2022, 04:31:34 PM »

This race has been over and done with for some time now but I wanted to pop in here just to say that the Nike guy bankrolling Betsy Johnson but then flipping to Drazan at the last minute when polling showed she was competitive only to cause Johnson to hemorrhage support putting Kotek back in the lead is probably one of the funniest political own-goals in recent years and one of the only examples I can point to of a major, well-connected donor actively minimizing their interests.

Oregon was never gonna elect an R Gov it was fools gold
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »

Very curious how Kotek did in OR-04, 05, and 06
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2022, 10:40:11 PM »

Very curious how Kotek did in OR-04, 05, and 06

So still data mining OR-2022-GE precinct results.

Good news is that I believe we now do have final precinct results for all of the "split counties".

Still, a bit more difficult in some of the larger counties split between CD's to yet calculate numbers easily after the 2022 redistricting.

Main reason being there are tons more precincts, and manual tabulation starts to become more problematic when running off of official county level PDF reports.

I do have a work subscription to a Adobe Pro, so might try to "automate the conversion", once the factory reopens after the New Year.

Still, was at least able to calculate at least the CD-04 numbers without being excessively labor-intensive.

OR-CD-04-22

DEM-   171,372   (50.5%)       +7.4% D
PUB-    146,055   (43.1%)
TOT-    339,077 

OR-SEN-22

DEM-   187,932   (55.3%)       +22.9% D
PUB-    140,995  (32.4%)
TOT-    339,789

OR-GOV-22

DEM-                159,835  (45.6%)       +2.1% D
PUB-                152,685   (43.5%)
IND (Betsy)-      27,507    (7.8%)
TOT-                 350,704

Bonus points could always run the numbers for guns, shrooms, and free affordable health care ballot initiatives ... Wink
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »

Interesting! So I'm gonna assume Kotek definitely lost OR-05 and OR-06 then, if she was only +2 in OR-04
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies