Oregon Governor Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon Governor Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Oregon Governor Megathread  (Read 16363 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2022, 06:27:44 PM »

Who is donating to Johnson for her to get $10M?? Similarly, Drazen with $6M?

Senate candidates in swing states can barely raise $1-3M and Christine Drazan can raise $6M? Huh?

Phil Knight, founder of Nike, owner of the University Oregon Athletic Department, King of Eugene etc. etc.

Timber Lobby too

Unfortunately the OR SOS Campaign donation website (orestar) happens to be down for maintenance today, so can't take a quick peak.

Still, here's another small snippet from that article:

Betsy:

Johnson’s biggest donors to date include Phil Knight ($1.75 million), the Eugene-based company Pape Group ($500,000) and Columbia Sportswear executive Tim Boyle ($340,000).

From an Oregon Capital Insider article published 7/22/22 and updated 7/29/22:

Construction industry group AGC Committee for Action gave $100,000 on July 15 to Johnson. Timber and construction money has given her campaign a slew of big, early boosts with six-figure contributions.

https://www.oregoncapitalinsider.com/news/three-way-race-for-oregon-governor-generating-tsunami-of-campaign-cash/article_dbb5ad14-07e8-11ed-b34f-1746d4f7d5b5.html

Here's a link to an older Oregonian article posted on 4/27/22 before the OR-GOV primaries (Betsy naturally did not really have to spend tons of money as opposed to Kotek and Drazen), which is likely no longer paywalled, where you can actually filter for campaign contributions from largest to smallest, etc..

Betsy Johnson, a former longtime Democratic lawmaker who is running as an independent, has raised the most since January 2021, according to The Oregonian/OregonLive’s analysis of state campaign finance data: $5 million. Johnson, whose supporters include some of the wealthiest Oregon business people and companies capable of sending her six-figure donations, likely needs to raise a lot. Although she is not on the ballot in May, she will face Democratic and Republican candidates in November who can draw on support from national party associations and affiliated political groups.
Johnson, a moderate who often sided with Republicans in the Legislature including against gun control and greenhouse gas cap-and-trade legislation, has continued to haul in large donations in recent weeks including $100,000 each from auto dealer Sidney DeBoer and OrePac Building Products in Wilsonville. Johnson also reported receiving $50,000 from Steven Pratt, retired Portland-based chief executive of former mining equipment maker ESCO Corp.

The Oregon hospital association gave its largest donation in the race to Johnson, at $60,000, but threw $40,000 each to Democratic candidate and state Treasurer Tobias Read and former House Republican leader and GOP gubernatorial candidate Christine Drazan.

https://www.oregonlive.com/data/2022/04/with-146-million-raised-what-do-candidates-for-oregon-governor-say-about-prominent-donors-influence.html

Regarding Drazen, in addition to the RGA I believe has received some significant contributions from anti-abortion groups.

Back before the primary:

Drazan, the top fundraiser for Republicans who has around $1 million on-hand and just released her first TV ad, recently received $50,000 from David Gore of Corvallis, a major donor to libertarian, Tea Party and other conservative organizations. Gore’s parents started the company that developed Gore-Tex.

https://www.oregonlive.com/data/2022/04/with-146-million-raised-what-do-candidates-for-oregon-governor-say-about-prominent-donors-influence.html

The recent Capital Insider article:

Longtime Oregon donor Norman Brenden of Silverton gave $100,000 on July 19 to Drazan's campaign, an amount that tops dozens outside of the $306,949 given by the Republican Governors Association. As the only anti-abortion candidate in the race, Drazan has already received the endorsement of Oregon Right to Life and its long list of activists donors.

https://www.oregoncapitalinsider.com/news/three-way-race-for-oregon-governor-generating-tsunami-of-campaign-cash/article_dbb5ad14-07e8-11ed-b34f-1746d4f7d5b5.html

Sure there might be more out there, but don't have subscriptions to every newspaper in Oregon. Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2022, 07:26:17 PM »

Forgot to post it a couple days ago, but Betsey was able to get enough signatures to make the ballot in November.

Betsy Johnson, the high-profile candidate for governor running without the support of a political party, turned in what her campaign said was 48,200 signatures Tuesday, roughly double the number necessary to secure her spot on the fall ballot.

It was the last day to do so to make the November ballot. The campaign relied on paid signature-gatherers as well as grassroots fans of her campaign to put signatures on petition after petition. As of Tuesday, the campaign reported paying $207,000 to well-known signature-gathering firm Initiative & Referendum Campaign Management Services.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/08/betsy-johnson-unaffiliated-candidate-for-governor-will-turn-in-signatures-at-midday-to-secure-a-spot-on-oregons-fall-ballot.html
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2022, 09:03:30 PM »

Looks like the Coppers are backing Betsy...

WW is a non paywall free weekly rag from Metro PDX going back decades...

Can only post a certain % of article, but lot more there at the link on my bottom post.

Prominent law enforcement groups and the state’s leading crime victims’ rights organization have all endorsed Betsy Johnson in Oregon’s three-way race for governor.

The endorsements are a valuable chip in a year when Portland’s historically high murder rate and the soaring rate of automobile thefts have gotten widespread attention.

The Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association, Oregon Chiefs of Police Association, Fraternal Order of Police Oregon Lodge, Oregon Coalition of Police & Sheriffs, Eugene Police Employees’ Association and Crime Victims United of Oregon have all endorsed Johnson.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2022/08/25/law-enforcement-groups-line-up-to-support-betsy-johnson-in-governors-race/

Had multiple friends from the factory who took good paying jobs up at the State Pen in Salem, have had friends who used to be police in small town departments, Millennial employees whom I was mentoring who applied for job openings at local small town PDs at the time of the "Great Resignation"... not a total hater myself, for those who went into law enforcement careers or worked contract gigs at the joint.

Meanwhile for a musical interlude, here is the The Exploited "Son of a Copper" song from way back in the UK 1981 Punk Era...

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2022, 08:10:36 PM »

Betsy just got a massive dump of DA endorsements...

Would not be surprised to a massive wave of endorsements from County Sheriffs in Oregon to follow soon after...

Oregon unaffiliated candidate for governor Betsy Johnson announced Thursday that she has the support of two-thirds of the state’s current district attorneys and a variety of other former prosecutors. The endorsements come in an election year when voters are telling pollsters that crime is among their top concerns.

In a statement shared by Johnson’s campaign, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton cited Johnson’s pledge to push for voters to repeal Oregon’s drug decriminalization law, something that Republican Christine Drazan has also promised to pursue.

“Betsy’s no-nonsense and common-sense public safety platform puts Oregon back on the right track,” Barton said. “I am proud to be part of a tremendous and unprecedented coalition of public safety leaders supporting Betsy as Oregon’s next governor as she seeks to repeal the legalization of hard drugs, fight drug cartels, and stop the free-flow of fentanyl that is killing our kids.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/09/oregon-governor-candidate-betsy-johnson-announces-endorsements-from-24-current-district-attorneys.html
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2022, 08:30:40 PM »

Would not be surprised to a massive wave of endorsements from County Sheriffs in Oregon to follow soon after...

Oregon unaffiliated candidate for governor Betsy Johnson announced Thursday that she has the support of two-thirds of the state’s current district attorneys and a variety of other former prosecutors. The endorsements come in an election year when voters are telling pollsters that crime is among their top concerns.

In a statement shared by Johnson’s campaign, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton cited Johnson’s pledge to push for voters to repeal Oregon’s drug decriminalization law, something that Republican Christine Drazan has also promised to pursue.

“Betsy’s no-nonsense and common-sense public safety platform puts Oregon back on the right track,” Barton said. “I am proud to be part of a tremendous and unprecedented coalition of public safety leaders supporting Betsy as Oregon’s next governor as she seeks to repeal the legalization of hard drugs, fight drug cartels, and stop the free-flow of fentanyl that is killing our kids.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/09/oregon-governor-candidate-betsy-johnson-announces-endorsements-from-24-current-district-attorneys.html
Schubert in CA got a ton of DA and Sheriff endorsements she still ended up with a a little under 8%. I think Johnson is polling way higher than how shes gonna do Third-party candidates always overperform in the polls. She'll probably get around 10% I think 15% is her max she might also win a county or two from her district. I'm curious to see a breakdown of which party's supporters shes taking the most from.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2022, 07:12:06 AM »

Schubert in CA got a ton of DA and Sheriff endorsements she still ended up with a a little under 8%. I think Johnson is polling way higher than how shes gonna do Third-party candidates always overperform in the polls. She'll probably get around 10% I think 15% is her max she might also win a county or two from her district. I'm curious to see a breakdown of which party's supporters shes taking the most from.

From what I've seen, Johnson is taking more from Drazen then she is from Kotek. If that holds, even with her vote percentage decreasing, then it's reasonable to assume that will benefit Kotek. But ultimately, what is the consensus on who wins here? If Kotek manages to hold the governorship, that raises the possibility that Oregon is unwinnable for Republicans under present circumstances.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2022, 07:51:12 PM »

DGA dumps another $1.25 Million to support Kotek and PUB GOVs dumps another $1 Million into backing Drazen:

Spending continues to surge in the Oregon governor’s race, with Democrat Tina Kotek reporting the latest seven-figure donation: another $1.25 million from the Democratic Governors Association.

That brings the Democratic group’s total donations to Kotek this year to $3.1 million. Kotek received the latest contribution last Wednesday and reported it Friday afternoon, according to state campaign finance filings. Willamette Week reported the contribution Sunday.

National Republicans also upped their spending on the governor’s race last week, sending another $1 million to Republican candidate Christine Drazan.

As of Monday, Kotek has reported raising a total of $10.5 million since January 2021 and Drazan has reported raising a total of $9.3 million, according to state records. A political action committee called Oregonians for Ethics, mostly funded by the Democratic Governors Association and public employee unions, is also working to help Kotek by attacking Johnson. The Oregon Republican Party is also paying for advertising in the governor’s race.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/09/national-democrats-spend-another-125-million-on-tina-koteks-run-for-governor.html
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2022, 03:02:34 PM »

This is probably one of the most interesting gubernatorial races this cycle. Alaska has potential, but Oregon for sure could be interesting. I could see Johnson winning a few counties.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2022, 03:53:34 PM »

This is probably one of the most interesting gubernatorial races this cycle. Alaska has potential, but Oregon for sure could be interesting. I could see Johnson winning a few counties.

Any ones in particular?

I would imagine she should do quite well in her home turf of Columbia County for one.

Astoria is just too Democratic for her to pull off Clatsop County, but would think she might do well outside of the city proper.

Tillamook County could be interesting for her.

East of the Cascades most counties are just too heavily Republican, with the obvious exceptions of Hood River and Deschutes counties.

She might do fairly well in Wasco County in this three person race, since although it has a slight PUB lean has shown to be somewhat swingy with a decent ancestral DEM base who sometimes vote PUB.

Other possibilities?
kwabbit

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2022, 02:15:28 AM »

Any ones in particular?

I would imagine she should do quite well in her home turf of Columbia County for one.

Astoria is just too Democratic for her to pull off Clatsop County, but would think she might do well outside of the city proper.

Tillamook County could be interesting for her.

East of the Cascades most counties are just too heavily Republican, with the obvious exceptions of Hood River and Deschutes counties.

She might do fairly well in Wasco County in this three person race, since although it has a slight PUB lean has shown to be somewhat swingy with a decent ancestral DEM base who sometimes vote PUB.

Other possibilities?

Columbia County will likely be won by Johnson in most scenarios. The rest are completely dependent on her overall vote share. If she gets 25%, then I think she would carry Columbia, Clatsop, and Tillamook. The rest of the state bar Multnomah she would probably get around her statewide percentage. College kids like third parties. She'll do well in the East but the county breakdowns might be 50 Drazen-30 Johnson-20 Kotek.

If she gets 35% she would likely win most counties west of the Cascades.

Jesse Ventura in 1998 won a plurality of counties, including all of the population centers except Duluth. If she got 35% then she's winning Marion, Clackamas, Deschutes. Maybe not Washington or Multnomah, but she wouldn't be that far off.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2022, 03:45:38 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2022, 03:49:28 AM by Dr. MB »

Can’t believe these dumbasses want to put people in prison for drug possession again. Hopefully they fail and fail hard and fast. I live in the freest state in the country and these people can’t think of any cure for social ills besides enhancing the police state.
Politics geek
United States
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2022, 04:03:53 AM »

Definetley an interesting race especially when it is three way. A pure tossup but I have a gut feeling Drazan will edge it out as Oregon Governor races are usually fairly close and the third party candidate will help pull her over the edge BUT Johnson may also peel of conservative voters. Truly interesting. I predict John son will get around 25-30% of the vote and win Clastop and Columbia counties, perhaps Wasco county... Other than those counties, I feel moderate voters in Marion, Deschutes and Clackamas County will back Johnson in higher amounts but not enough for her to win them; maybe Washington. East of the Cascades Drazan will win them but only with around 60-65%, instead of the usual 80%, as Johnson will gain some voters. Final CURRENT prediction is 36-35-27-2, Drazan-Kotek-Johnson-All Other Candidates. Interesting indeed.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2022, 04:15:29 AM »

Can’t believe these dumbasses want to put people in prison for drug possession again. Hopefully they fail and fail hard and fast. I live in the freest state in the country and these people can’t think of any cure for social ills besides enhancing the police state.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/mixed-results-oregon-drug-decriminalization/283-0980d8b1-a514-425a-8989-889b027f5a95

Yet in the first year after the new approach took effect in February 2021, only 1% of people who received citations for possessing controlled substances asked for help via a new hotline.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/the-story/measure-110-drug-decriminalization-portland/283-5b2ae9b5-649a-44e1-88b5-5d9bb8466eb4

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2022, 04:17:39 AM »

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/mixed-results-oregon-drug-decriminalization/283-0980d8b1-a514-425a-8989-889b027f5a95

Yet in the first year after the new approach took effect in February 2021, only 1% of people who received citations for possessing controlled substances asked for help via a new hotline.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/the-story/measure-110-drug-decriminalization-portland/283-5b2ae9b5-649a-44e1-88b5-5d9bb8466eb4

That’s on them. Prison won’t get them any help either. If you wanna give them mandatory rehab instead that’s a whole separate story but criminalizing it will do literally nothing to stop getting people addicted.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2022, 04:19:38 AM »

That’s on them. Prison won’t get them any help either. If you wanna give them mandatory rehab instead that’s a whole separate story but criminalizing it will do literally nothing to stop getting people addicted.

This is for hard drugs though , not marijuana and decriminalizing it has led to the use of these drugs to go up too
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2022, 04:24:04 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2022, 04:40:56 AM by Benjamin Frank »

This is for hard drugs though , not marijuana and decriminalizing it has led to the use of these drugs to go up too

Their body their choice.

No surprise that Republicans lied about being against forced medications and allowing people to be 'free.'

What they really meant was 'don't force anything on me but I can force anything on you.'

THis has been the Rethug mindset for at least 40 years.

It certainly isn't a surprise that decriminilazation doesn't really work except to maybe save lives (which isn't a minor thing itself) but that only full legalization will do away, over time, with the black market and the crime associated with that.

Also not a surprise that the police would back pseudo moralist authoritarians who want to maintain essentially the criminilization of poor drug users.

Going after drug addicts is an easy way for police officers to meet their quotas.

Of course, I'm not referring to any legally mandated quotas.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2022, 04:30:52 AM »

Addiction is a disease and not a crime.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2022, 04:32:15 AM »

Addiction is a normal human condition. It's just that pseudo moralists have outlawed some addictions.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2022, 04:40:32 AM »

Addiction is a normal human condition. It's just that pseudo moralists have outlawed some addictions.

It's not a normal condition. Hard drugs like fentanyl will chemically alter your brain until the point you're living solely in search of your next hit. Anything but natural. Your frivolous attitude to this when overdose deaths are skyrocketing is really something.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2022, 04:45:36 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2022, 05:31:41 AM by Benjamin Frank »

It's not a normal condition. Hard drugs like fentanyl will chemically alter your brain until the point you're living solely in search of your next hit. Anything but natural. Your frivolous attitude to this when overdose deaths are skyrocketing is really something else.

This is true of anybody at the extreme end of addiction whether it's addiction to video games, addiction to alcohol, addiction to exercise... Criminalizing addiciton doesn't solve anything. this isn't a question of being 'frivolous' but an understanding that nanny state/pseudo morality does nothing other than allow the person doing it to engage in virtual signalling.

Don't you find it strange that fentanyl has become a serious addiction for people when it's illegal? What benefit is making fentanyl illegal providing?

Of course, I recall that 'freedom loving' fascist Josh Hawley somehow wanted to restrict the amount of time people (or maybe just children) could spend playing video games and watching pornography (or wanted to ban pornography entirely or something.)

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reidout-blog/josh-hawleys-crusade-video-games-porn-hilariously-empty-rcna4822

Hawley: “Can we be surprised that after years of being told they are the problem, that their manhood is the problem, more and more men are withdrawing into the enclave of idleness and pornography and video games?” he asked at the Oct. 31 event."

I personally think this obsession with 'alpha males' which is a huge part of the ideology with both fascism and the Trump cult (to the degree they're different) is a serious problem if not an addiction, but I don't think that criminal law has much to do to address this problem.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2022, 06:12:16 AM »

They won't even poll this race it's a guessing game just like SD Gov on whom wins
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2022, 11:00:39 AM »

Another issue where the three candidates differ is on the death penalty. Drazan and Johnson have promised to lift the moratorium on Oregon's death penalty, which has been maintained for more than a decade.

This is despite the fact that Oregon voters approved a constitutional amendment explicitly authorizing the death penalty. Kotek, on her part, wants to continue the moratorium. Of course, Oregon is a state where executions haven't been that common. But it's a notable difference, nevertheless, and shows that the Democratic nominee here is clearly more progressive on these kinds of issues than her two opponents.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2022, 11:05:41 AM »

Another issue where the three candidates differ is on the death penalty. Drazan and Johnson have promised to lift the moratorium on Oregon's death penalty, which has been maintained for more than a decade.

This is despite the fact that Oregon voters approved a constitutional amendment explicitly authorizing the death penalty. Kotek, on her part, wants to continue the moratorium. Of course, Oregon is a state where executions haven't been that common. But it's a notable difference, nevertheless, and shows that the Democratic nominee here is clearly more progressive on these kinds of issues than her two opponents.

Of course she is. Johnson is just playing the tiresome game "if you bring together the best of 2 sides, which are equally bad otherwise, something great happens". In the end, she just may help Drazan win with a plurality.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2022, 11:21:08 AM »

Of course she is. Johnson is just playing the tiresome game "if you bring together the best of 2 sides, which are equally bad otherwise, something great happens". In the end, she just may help Drazan win with a plurality.

Actually at this point the democrats here believe it’s possible that Johnson could help Kotek win if she splits the right wing vote more which is why they have tried to paint her as Republican lite .

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »

Actually at this point the democrats here believe it’s possible that Johnson could help Kotek win if she splits the right wing vote more which is why they have tried to paint her as Republican lite .

Ron Wyden is on the ballot that's why Tina Kotek will win not so much Betsy Johnson
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies