Political future of Lina Hidalgo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Political future of Lina Hidalgo
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political future of Lina Hidalgo  (Read 571 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »

She's a really interesting persona with an interesting lifestory, having been elected County Judge (county executive) of Harris County, Texas at the age of 28 in 2019. It's certainly something to reach this position at this age and even more impressing to do so as immigrant. As Texas becomes more of a battleground in the coming years, I think Lina Hidalgo definitely has potential for statewide office or the senate. I'd also say she's charismatic and well articulated.

As she's born in Colombia, she's unfortunately not eligible to become president or vice president.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 02:15:38 PM »

Too early to call. I actually thought she had run for higher office before, but I'd guess she would run for statewide office before she ran for federal (if the latter at all).
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »

I don’t think she runs for higher office in 2022, but I could see her running for Senate in 2024. She probably won’t win regardless of whether or not Cruz runs again.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 12:04:41 AM »

I think she stays in her current position as county judge until the state starts to become bluer. I don't think her position is term limited.

Once Texas is more of a battleground, I think she will try to run for senate or governor.

I suppose she could also run for the House of Representatives if a district opens up. I don't know which district she lives in, but maybe she could run when Sheila Jackson Lee, Sylvia Garcia, or Al Green retires. No point in running in a purplish district like Crenshaw's or Fletcher's if you don't have to.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »

Runs for reelection next year and probably gets it unless Ed Emmett tries to mount a comeback.

I don't know why anyone would want to subject themselves to the misery of being in Congress after being what is essentially the governor of a state of over 4M people.

State legislature is an option but Texas' is part-time and Hidalgo is not a lawyer and does not to my knowledge have any sources of personal wealth that would allow her to sustain herself on the pittance state lawmakers receive.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »

She's a really interesting persona with an interesting lifestory, having been elected County Judge (county executive) of Harris County, Texas at the age of 28 in 2019. It's certainly something to reach this position at this age and even more impressing to do so as immigrant. As Texas becomes more of a battleground in the coming years, I think Lina Hidalgo definitely has potential for statewide office or the senate. I'd also say she's charismatic and well articulated.

As she's born in Colombia, she's unfortunately not eligible to become president or vice president.
The office was about 50th on a ballot with nearly 100 offices. Nobody else ran in the Democratic primary because they were content with Ed Emmett.

She ran well behind the rest of the Democrats, but so few persons even knew what a county judge was or even what Harris County was that less than 10% crossed over.

It would not surprise me if she were challenged in the Democratic primary.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:08:28 AM »

The office was about 50th on a ballot with nearly 100 offices. Nobody else ran in the Democratic primary because they were content with Ed Emmett.

She ran well behind the rest of the Democrats, but so few persons even knew what a county judge was or even what Harris County was that less than 10% crossed over.

Obviously they weren't or they would have voted for him.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 04:25:38 AM »

Obviously they weren't or they would have voted for him.
I made a mistake. County Judge was between 63rd and 65th on the ballot, following 36 District Judges and preceding 20 county judges (courts at law).

Ed Emmett was not on the Democratic primary ballot. Hidalgo was nominated because no one else ran.

In the primary, votes cast for unopposed judicial candidates dropped from 136K to about 131K by the time they got to county judge. The voting machines are programmed in a way that discourages skipping races because the summary will say "No Vote"

It was not like voters were searching for that all important "county judge" race among all the other actual judicial races. Instead some were getting bored and skipped the remainder of the races.

Lina Hidalgo got the fewest votes of any Democratic candidate in the general election on a countywide ballot in Harris County.

Compared to Leah Shapiro the Democrat for the preceding office, Hidalgo received 13.6% fewer mail ballots, 9.1% early votes, 7.3% election-day votes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 05:57:15 AM »

Possibly Mayor of Houston, but I think her path beyond that will depend on redistricting (for example, where the two new Texas seats are), whether Al Green retires any time soon, whether Lizzie Fletcher is defeated in 2022/2024 or runs statewide. If TX-22 gets a portion of Harris County, she could against Troy Nehls as well, but I don't think Republicans are going to sacrifice Nehls (in what would presumably be an attempt to take out Lizzie Fletcher).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »

Possibly Mayor of Houston, but I think her path beyond that will depend on redistricting (for example, where the two new Texas seats are), whether Al Green retires any time soon, whether Lizzie Fletcher is defeated in 2022/2024 or runs statewide. If TX-22 gets a portion of Harris County, she could against Troy Nehls as well, but I don't think Republicans are going to sacrifice Nehls (in what would presumably be an attempt to take out Lizzie Fletcher).

I could see state Republicans needlessly dummymandering Harris County in an attempt to get rid of Lizzie Fletcher simply because her district includes the super-rich Republican neighborhoods in West Houston and the GOP megadonors there get annoyed at having to be represented by a Democrat.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 11:53:44 PM »

I could see state Republicans needlessly dummymandering Harris County in an attempt to get rid of Lizzie Fletcher simply because her district includes the super-rich Republican neighborhoods in West Houston and the GOP megadonors there get annoyed at having to be represented by a Democrat.

Or they just give those areas to Crenshaw.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »

But Crenshaw lives in the Democratic-heavy Inner Loop part of his district. (Yet another example of how Republican politicians claim they hate liberal elites but are never willing to actually live among the "Real Americans" they claim to speak for.)

I guess he could move out to Kingwood or just not live in his district, which is technically perfectly legal but the optics are never good and if the district gets remade into a super-Republican one, that lowers the barriers for some crazy person to primary him on a laundry list of grievances including that he doesn't live in the district.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »

But Crenshaw lives in the Democratic-heavy Inner Loop part of his district. (Yet another example of how Republican politicians claim they hate liberal elites but are never willing to actually live among the "Real Americans" they claim to speak for.)

I guess he could move out to Kingwood or just not live in his district, which is technically perfectly legal but the optics are never good and if the district gets remade into a super-Republican one, that lowers the barriers for some crazy person to primary him on a laundry list of grievances including that he doesn't live in the district.

Roger Williams says hi.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »

Why do people think she'd run for Congress? County Judge of Harris County >>>>> freshman representative in what will probably be the minority party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies