Next Nova Scotia general election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:10:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Next Nova Scotia general election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Next Nova Scotia general election  (Read 12220 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »

There has been remarkably little polling in this election. Does anyone have the slightest idea who is winning or at least doing better or worse than expected?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2021, 03:27:34 PM »

There has been remarkably little polling in this election. Does anyone have the slightest idea who is winning or at least doing better or worse than expected?

Nope, outside of the big four provinces there's always a dearth of polling. Same thing happened in the Newfoundland election just gone.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2021, 09:47:23 PM »

I don't know if anybody cares, but does anybody know who former Premier Darrell Dexter is supporting?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »

I don't know if anybody cares, but does anybody know who former Premier Darrell Dexter is supporting?

Darrell Dexter has been very quiet since leaving office, doubly so once he became a lobbyist. I honestly can't recall hearing a political thing from him since he lost in 2013.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2021, 07:33:23 AM »

In keeping with recent tradition, the Liberals released their costed platform, and they committed to spending slightly less than the Tories. The NDP haven't costed their platform yet, but just eyevalling it, they are committed to spending far more than either the Liberals or Tories.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2021, 07:36:48 PM by DC Al Fine »

Think I've made my decision.

I voted Liberal last time on the grounds that the Liberals were to the right of the Tories, and I really liked Stephen McNeil. I can't stand either Tim Houston or Rankin (especially Rankin), but Rankin's platform is slightly more fiscally conservative, and was oriented more towards the Halifax suburbs *.

I'm casting a personal vote for my Tory MLA, who I had a great experience with on a constituent issue, and am more or less indifferent to the overall result.

*The Tories under Jamie Baillie and Tim Houston have outflanked the Liberals and NDP on rural healthcare. This is a great example of Red Toryism that isn't the cliche fiscon-solib that pundits love but only 3% of the population supports.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »

New poll! same as the old poll.

Leger, published August 2nd.

Liberal:42%
P.C: 32%
NDP:20%
Green: 5%

https://2g2ckk18vixp3neolz4b6605-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Nova-Scotia-Election-August-4th-2021.pdf
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2021, 09:30:21 PM »

Literally what are the differences between the Libs and the PC? I'm always surprised at how so many parts of Canada can get by with no real conservative parties.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2021, 12:15:18 AM »

Literally what are the differences between the Libs and the PC? I'm always surprised at how so many parts of Canada can get by with no real conservative parties.

But, also no real liberal party.  I think they're both pretty much '3rd way centrism.'  Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing, Nova Scotia is doing pretty well for the most part, even if it's mostly concentrated in the Halifax Metro Area.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2021, 01:13:07 AM »

I voted Liberal last time on the grounds that the Liberals were to the right of the Tories, and I really liked Stephen McNeil. I can't stand either Tim Houston or Rankin (especially Rankin), but Rankin's platform is slightly more fiscally conservative, and was oriented more towards the Halifax suburbs *.

I'm casting a personal vote for my Tory MLA, who I had a great experience with on a constituent issue, and am more or less indifferent to the overall result.

*The Tories under Jamie Baillie and Tim Houston have outflanked the Liberals and NDP on rural healthcare. This is a great example of Red Toryism that isn't the cliche fiscon-solib that pundits love but only 3% of the population supports.
Do the parties have any policy differences on immigration ? I know that Atlantic Canda is pretty active in it's use of the provincal nomination system but is the issue political ?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2021, 01:26:19 AM »

Do the parties have any policy differences on immigration ? I know that Atlantic Canda is pretty active in it's use of the provincal nomination system but is the issue political ?

I believe all the parties are strongly in favor of more immigration.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2021, 09:20:00 AM »

And the Liberals seems very obsessed with the population of the province hitting 1 million.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »

The thing to remember about the Maritimes is that we still practice a very old school style of politics that's more about getting pork and patronage for the interests a party represents than ideology.

We still have political fights but they tend to be about whose highway gets repaved, or which region's healthcare is prioritized than the sort of things you'd see in Ontario or B.C.

E.g. The last Tory government put in price floors for gasoline, which is bizarre if you think of it from an ideological point of view, but it makes perfect sense if you view it through the lense of a party representing its backers' interests (in this case small business owners and rural communities not wanting to lose their gas stations)
DL
Canada

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »

Newest poll shows NDP momentum at 27% and the Liberal lead drastically reduced from the previous poll by the same company Narrative

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/narrative-research-poll-liberals-pc-ndp-1.6137129
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »

Seems not a lot of polling here.  Wonder if any others will put out any polls.  One we can pretty much be sure of is Forum at 11:59 AST on Sunday as they always release a final poll at latest moment possible and interestingly enough usually pretty accurate too.  in 2019, they were only pollster to show PEI PCs ahead.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2021, 06:39:25 AM »

My semi prediction.  I think there are 23 competitive ridings including 4 3 way races, and one P.C-NDP competitive riding (Sackville-Cobequid.)  I can't remember all 4 I think could be three way races.

So, the safe ridings add up to 32 (55-23) and 22 of them involve the Liberals.

Liberal: 17-39
P.C: 12-30
NDP: 3-13
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2021, 12:46:23 AM »

What do I have to do, post a riding by riding prediction to get people interested in this election again?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2021, 05:53:57 AM »

What do I have to do, post a riding by riding prediction to get people interested in this election again?

I dunno. The local media are openly calling the election "sleepy" and "boring" Tongue

Not the most exciting campaign.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2021, 05:58:42 AM »

I dunno. The local media are openly calling the election "sleepy" and "boring" Tongue

Hrm.  I've heard otherwise, that the Liberal/Iain Rankin gaffes have enlivened the campaign.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »

Hrm.  I've heard otherwise, that the Liberal/Iain Rankin gaffes have enlivened the campaign.

Oh, I might be right! This might be considered news:

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

Hmm interesting, might be an exciting election night after all.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2021, 03:08:54 PM »

I'm vacationing in the North Shore region of rural Nova Scotia this week. I drove through Amherst, the only town of significance in Cumberland North and Elizabeth Smith-McCrossin is winning the sign war handily over Bill Casey. I only saw a lone Tory sign. Make of that what you will.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »

It's fascinating how blurred the ideological lines are in Nova Scotia. PC's seem to fall slightly to the left of the Liberals. I'll be interested to see whether Cape Breton continues to shift rightward.
DL
Canada

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »

If the Nova Scotia Liberals lose their majority or lose outright - after calling an early election with a huge lead in the polls - it would be a very bad omen for the federal Liberals and would likely cast a shadow over Trudeau's whole first week
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2021, 05:21:02 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2021, 05:28:30 PM by Oryxslayer »

Mainstreet poll on the eve of election:

Liberals: 38%
PCs: 36%
NDP: 21%
Greens: 3%

16% of respondents are undecided, suggesting either low turnout or a volatile electorate even at this late stage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies