Does the RNC calling 1/6 "“legitimate political discourse" vindicate Dems who don't want to move on?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Does the RNC calling 1/6 "“legitimate political discourse" vindicate Dems who don't want to move on?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the RNC's recent decision to call the January 6 attacks on the US Capitol "legitimate political discourse" vindicate the Democrats who don't want to move past the issue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Does the RNC calling 1/6 "“legitimate political discourse" vindicate Dems who don't want to move on?  (Read 1151 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2022, 11:42:29 AM »

Yes, because it shows that Republicans haven't learned their lesson and truly wish that the mob had been successful in overthrowing the government.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »

What you said. The GOP was bad enough to begin with but now it's downright scary...Earlier, outisde of very fringe and little know right-wing politicians like a member of the state legislature from the San Diego area, the GOP at least pretended they didn't support January 6 and for the most part condemned it and did not defend it. Now? Now, they've decided that since Americans are less angry/worried about January 6, that they can reveal their true colours and have moved from (at least officially) opposing them to defending them.

EDIT: Although certain GOP members of Congress - Hawley, Gosar, Biggs, Brooks, Greene - never really pretended January 6 was all that bad at all.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 12:50:54 AM »

Yes
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:45:42 PM »

Yes, although I'll repeat what I've said before about this, which is that 1/6 is a difficult issue because it's genuinely important but feels like Orange Man Bad resistance-lib fare.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »

The RNC is goading Dems into not moving on. They know only Vote Blue No Matter Whos really care about this. Keeping Dem messaging on 1/6 and off any sort of positive agenda is a winning move for Republicans.

Not that the Democratic party has any interest in doing such a thing, to be clear. Bed wetting about 1/6 is great for fundraising; winning elections is secondary, and actually doing anything constructive while in power is a distant tertiary concern.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 03:02:40 PM »

Yes, although I'll repeat what I've said before about this, which is that 1/6 is a difficult issue because it's genuinely important but feels like Orange Man Bad resistance-lib fare.

To be fair, Orange Man Bad resistance libs have been right about pretty much everything for the past six years.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 03:15:31 PM »

To be fair, Orange Man Bad resistance libs have been right about pretty much everything for the past six years.

Lol no
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »

The RNC is goading Dems into not moving on. They know only Vote Blue No Matter Whos really care about this. Keeping Dem messaging on 1/6 and off any sort of positive agenda is a winning move for Republicans.

This response hits the nail on the head. I was angry with the Capitol Riots and wanted to impeach Trump. But the country is facing some pretty urgent issues that voters want to be addressed. Harping on about the Capitol Riots when people are paying record gas prices just makes the Democrats look out of touch and non-serious, even though they were definitely a bad thing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 05:28:30 AM »

This response hits the nail on the head. I was angry with the Capitol Riots and wanted to impeach Trump. But the country is facing some pretty urgent issues that voters want to be addressed. Harping on about the Capitol Riots when people are paying record gas prices just makes the Democrats look out of touch and non-serious, even though they were definitely a bad thing.

I think rewriting history over an aborted coup is exponentially worse than the ebb and flow of gas prices. Maybe that's just me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 09:32:27 AM »

I think rewriting history over an aborted coup is exponentially worse than the ebb and flow of gas prices. Maybe that's just me.

It's also less likely to move votes. Atlas has a very distorted perception of how voters behave. Many people are less committed to elevated ideals of how society and the government should function and are more committed to being able to cover their living expenses. These kinds of people are going to change their votes over kitchen table issues much more easily than they will over other issues that are far more abstract (if still ultimately meaningful).
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »

Voters don't care about this country or its history and they often don't care about other people unless those people have a direct presence in their immediate personal life. Winning votes is the easiest thing in the world if you toss aside your sense of righteousness and figure out the most common set of issues facing the broadest swath of Americans and then cobble together a platform that addresses those things. Americans are dumb, just tell them exactly what they want to hear and they'll practically stampede to the voting booths to cast a ballot for you, then you can focus on the nerdy crap once you're in office. Democrats used to understand this before they let a bunch of liberal snoots take over their marketing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »

If you really want the republicans punished over January 6th then the best way to do that is to deliver economically for the American people .

The reason democrats gained seats after 1932 wasn’t just cause the public wanted to punish the republicans for the Depression but also cause the economy did significantly improve for the public from 1932-1936 as well
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies