The Gathering Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread (Game Suspended)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Gathering Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread (Game Suspended)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Gathering Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread (Game Suspended)  (Read 2874 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
« edited: September 16, 2021, 07:40:48 PM by Lumine »

The Gathering Storm
Diplomacy, War and Intrigue in the world of 1939

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Year is 1939.

It has been twenty years since the end of the World War, and the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

In Europe, a war has just been averted thanks to the controversial Munich Agreement, opening up new questions about the future of the continent.

In Britain and France, the Chamberlain and Daladier governments struggle with the issue of rearmament and their large colonial empires, as well as with serious domestic questions.

In Germany and Italy, Hitler and Mussolini bask in the glory of recent diplomatic and military triumphs, and dream of large empires.

In the resurgent Soviet Union, a cautious Stalin prepares to play the deadly game of European diplomacy, knowing he could well swing the balance of power.

Across the Atlantic, the United States of America continues its long term recovery, but recent political defeats leave President Roosevelt with a reduced margin of action.

In Asia, the Empire of Japan enters its third year of full-scale war against the Chinese United Front, a bloody and brutal struggle which shows no sign of ending.

In Spain, Franco's Nationalist regime prepares to deliver a crippling blow against the battered Republicans.

The world is rapidly changing, and the spectre of war remains ever present.

Can you find success in such a complex era?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Basic Rules:

1. Turns: We will play six month turns lasting for a week in real time, corresponding to the "Early" (winter and spring) and "Late" (summer and autumn/fall) portions of the year, all starting on January 1st, 1939. Six month turns will last until the beginning of armed conflict between at least three players, in which case - we will enter a special war mode with shorter and more intense turns.

2. Messages: The GM must be included on all PM's sent by players, and/or be informed of the internal talks that are taking place. Given the nature of the period, players can request formal international conferences - like Munich - between players or NPCs, which will be simulated (player's choice) via PM, an open discussion thread, or a Discord chat. No formal part of the game will be outsourced to Discord, but a server may be created if there's interest (for information, debates, and rapid questions).

3. Historical Simulation: We will be using the dice system for various player decisions, events and warfare, accounting for advantages or disadvantages if necessary. Although there will be room for flexibility - hence the start in 1939 as opposed to 1940 -, players will be encouraged to remain within the grounds of plausibility, and the GM may override decisions which are found to be too out of character (Example: Stalin calling for immediate, free and fair elections in the Soviet Union). There won't be a formal "mid-turn", but special events or announcements will take place from time to time as certain situations arise.

4. Hindsight: One of the potential problems associated with the game is having the benefit of hindsight given the wealth of knowledge about WWII. Although this cannot be addressed directly, the GM will look carefully at orders or decisions that could only be made with hindsight (Example: a player orders X piece of equipment out of production because it was eventually known to be deficient).

5. Stats and Warfare: The stats for each player will be focused on "Popularity", "Economic Status", and "Mobilization Levels" (the latter of which sacrifices economic standing in favor of military readiness or efficiency), which are fairly self explanatory. Warfare will be more abstract as opposed to forcing players to micromanage their armies with specific numbers, but players may be as detailed as they wish with their orders. There may be general levels of available divisions and relative naval strength.

6. Declaring War and Real Time Simulation: This is IMPORTANT. We will be innovating in this game to account for the rapid pace of events in the 1940's, which the following changes:

• A. Declarations of War or Invasion orders are processed and executed immediately, with a corresponding event stating that X country has invaded Y. This will force players to react within the turn, as opposed to a "gambit pileup" of sorts taking place on the end of turn. This, however, does not prevent countries from being overrun with a successful invasion like in RL.
  • B. Players may not order an invasion of another player within the last 24 hours of a turn, to prevent people from being unable to react to an enemy invasion or strike.

6. Game Over: Game Over can come in four ways: Surrendering or being deposed by another player in an invasion, being deposed in a coup or revolt, being assassinated without a clear designated heir, or losing an election. Players in democratic nations may be able to continue playing after the voluntary resignation or term-limit of their original character, if the designated successor wins the election or retains the parliamentary majority.

7. Intelligence: Players may make use of their respective intelligence services for intrigue or espionage purposes.

Players and Countries:

First Tier:
(Nominally open to all players)

German Reich: Führer Adolf Hitler (Dereich)
British Empire: Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain (NewYorkExpress)
Soviet Union:: General Secretary Josef Stalin (KaiserDave)
Republic of France: Prime Minister Édouard Daladier (Donerail)
Italian Empire: Duce Benito Mussolini (JacksonHitchcock)
Empire of Japan: Emperor Hirohito* (Ernest)
United States of America: President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (GoTfan)
Republic of China: Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek (Kuumo)
Spanish State: Head of State Francisco Franco (YPestis)
Republic of Poland: President Ignacy Moscicki (Devout Centrist)

Second Tier:
(Open if previous nations are taken, or upon serious request)

Kingdom of Romania: King Carol II Hozenzollern-Sigmaringen (RGM2609)
Republic of Turkey: President İsmet İnönü (Ishan)
Kingdom of Yugoslavia: Prince Regent Paul Karadordevic
Kingdom of Hungary: Admiral Regent Miklos Horthy
Chinese Communist Party: Mao Zedong
And/or others

*Given the lack of a single dominant individual within the Empire of Japan by early 1939 - neither Tojo nor Prince Konoe were prominent enough -, the Japanese player will roleplay as the Emperor, having to face the many different factions within the Army, Navy and Government, with the respective internal resistance to certain paths.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

May I claim President Roosevelt?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »

Having played Hitler in Crumbling Reich, I think I'd like to try again.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 04:43:28 PM »

I'd love to take Franco.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »

All granted!
RGM2609
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »

Could I be King Carol?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »

Il Duce himself if I may
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 05:27:36 PM »

Noted!

On principle yes, but it would depend on other crucial roles being filled first.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 05:32:46 PM »

Comrade Stalin please
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 12:40:09 AM »

I’d like to join as Chiang Kai-shek.
RGM2609
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 04:04:44 AM »

Noted!

On principle yes, but it would depend on other crucial roles being filled first.

In that case, could I play as Hirohito?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 07:50:48 AM »

If RGM2609 would still rather play King Carol, I'd like to play Hirohito, otherwise President İsmet İnönü.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »

I'll take President Ignacy Moscicki of the Second Polish Republic
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »

What the hell.

Henri Guisan.
RGM2609
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »

If RGM2609 would still rather play King Carol, I'd like to play Hirohito, otherwise President İsmet İnönü.
I think I will stick with Hirohito
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2021, 03:21:27 PM »

All three are granted.

Since Ernest (glad to see you here!) hasn't had a chance to play in a while, I'll be granting him Hirohito. RGM is authorized to play as King Carol.

With respect, the Swiss Army is not quite relevant enough in the 1939 context. I don't mind allowing one or two characters that are outside the box, but do you have anyone else in mind?

Upon some reflection, NYE, would it be possible for you to switch to a different role if other people are interested in Hitler? Since you've had a chance to work with the character in a recent game already, it might be fair to give someone else a shot for the sake of variety.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 03:43:05 PM »

All three are granted.

Since Ernest (glad to see you here!) hasn't had a chance to play in a while, I'll be granting him Hirohito. RGM is authorized to play as King Carol.

With respect, the Swiss Army is not quite relevant enough in the 1939 context. I don't mind allowing one or two characters that are outside the box, but do you have anyone else in mind?

Upon some reflection, NYE, would it be possible for you to switch to a different role if other people are interested in Hitler? Since you've had a chance to work with the character in a recent game already, it might be fair to give someone else a shot for the sake of variety.

Has anyone else expressed interest in Hitler?

If someone else wants Hitler, I'd be fine with Winston Churchill (Neville Chamberlain just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid).
RGM2609
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »

I don't have a problem with playing as Carol, which was my first choice anyway, but I really think that, shall other cases like that happen, it is better to give a role to the first person who asked for it.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 05:18:09 PM »

All three are granted.

If someone else wants Hitler, I'd be fine with Winston Churchill (Neville Chamberlain just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid).

Chamberlain was the UKs leader at this time so that doesn’t really make sense
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 05:25:09 PM »

All three are granted.

Chamberlain was the UKs leader at this time so that doesn’t really make sense

I don't like Chamberlain, and I don't think (especially looking with hindsight) that it would be particularly hard to boot him out of office (either via a no-confidence vote or outright winning an election). Also Chamberlain dies in 1940 IRL. I don't want a character with a limited shelf life.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »

Just for the record, this rule:

Players in democratic nations may be able to continue playing after the voluntary resignation or term-limit of their original character, if the designated successor wins the election or retains the parliamentary majority.

It essentially allows for a democratic player to continue with his appointed successor (should have also added natural causes), partly because of the fast turnover of French governments and, indeed, the changes in the UK government in 1940.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »

Just for the record, this rule:

Players in democratic nations may be able to continue playing after the voluntary resignation or term-limit of their original character, if the designated successor wins the election or retains the parliamentary majority.

It essentially allows for a democratic player to continue with his appointed successor (should have also added natural causes), partly because of the fast turnover of French governments and, indeed, the changes in the UK government in 1940.

Still would prefer to play as Hitler.

I would switch to Chamberlain (and later Churchill) if required to, however, assuming either someone else wants to play as Hitler, or me switching is required for the game to start.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »

I'll take Daladier
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 10:08:08 PM »

I was thinking he would be a relevant character when the game eventually progresses past 1940, if that is indeed how this works (I haven't participated in any games before so I'm not entirely sure.) If you prefer me go with someone else, I would be fine if you assign someone randomly.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 10:42:26 PM »

I was thinking he would be a relevant character when the game eventually progresses past 1940, if that is indeed how this works (I haven't participated in any games before so I'm not entirely sure.) If you prefer me go with someone else, I would be fine if you assign someone randomly.

If you want Hitler, you can have him, and I'll take Chamberlain.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies