Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: IBNU for Secretary of State (Confirmed)  (Read 3625 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »

What do you say to allegations that you were bribed with this position to change your vote?

Who is alleging this?
IBNU himself admitted it.

My only communications with the nominee regarding a potential appointment (or anything else for that matter) occurred after the election.
Though I do not believe I can legally post the screenshots I’ve seen, they do state that it was Blairite, not you, who did it. I don’t believe you’re that type, Mr. President.

Blairite is not the president so he couldn’t do a meaningful bribe.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »

I've seen the log in question. If it turns out to be a forgery, which appears to be the case, then the person responsible forfeits all public trust if discovered and I will move to amend the criminal code to include forgery.

IBNU, please tell the Senate whether any person offered you this job before the election.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 06:39:10 PM »

I've seen the log in question. If it turns out to be a forgery, which appears to be the case, then the person responsible forfeits all public trust if discovered and I will move to amend the criminal code to include forgery.

IBNU, please tell the Senate whether any person offered you this job before the election.
the person responsible (I'd assume he's the one responsible if he's the other person messaging) doesn't exactly have much public trust left anyway. It's part of what gives me some pause on these allegations, and why I felt it was best to directly ask Mr. IBNU about it, because that's the best way to get answers.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »

First of all, IBNU said it was Blairite who made the offer. Sev choosing to follow up with this after the election as he claimed is an act that condones the corrupt actions taken by his campaign team which included Blairite. Thus this makes the bribe meaningful.

Sev could appoint anyone else to the job. If the appointee is someone from the Labor core or otherwise is honest about their intentions and circumstances in the game, I would have no interest in the Senate proceedings of the nomination and I would let it sail through.

Here is the screenshot for all to see.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »

I also mentioned it on the campaign server soon after it happened although I didn't dwell on it since I was more focused on finding more votes to turn out at the time.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »

One more.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »

Again, we really need to hear from IBNU here. I've spoken to some of the people who were allegedly involved, and have also seen Discord conversations where Blairite himself said that no bribery took place and/or the IBNU appointment was discussed in a manner not fitting that of a bribery case. Screenshots, unlike Atlas posts, are not unalterable evidence, which is why we need to go to the source to find out what really happened here.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2021, 08:14:41 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 08:20:33 PM by SevenEleven »

First of all, my campaign staff consisted of FalterinArc, Kaiser Dave, Harry Truman, and Ted Bessell.

I only learned of IBNU's interest in the position after the election was long concluded. In fact, the entire week or two after he was still the only one to express interest.

I inquired about IBNU's beliefs about Atlasia's position in the world, his values, and his commitment to being active. Side note: the current Secretary of State has made only one post in duty. His predecessor made only thirteen in a two year period.

Whatever selectively edited private chat screenshots may be posted without consent has no bearing on my decision to select this highly-qualified nominee, nor do I have any reason to foresee an open SoS position (I contacted SoS DC when building a Cabinet to see if he was interested in doing more with the role.)

I ask the Senate to consider the history of this position and the potential our nominee offers with his foreign policy knowledge, and to not be distracted by manufactured scandals. The nominee is a different time zone, so any input from will have to wait.

I also have screenshots that suggest the opposite of what is being portrayed here, but I don't think posting private communications in public without consent is something a decent person does.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »

Even if these allegations are true, they aren't a dealbreaker. I am more interested in the nominee's policy positions. I recognize that it may be difficult to find someone committed enough to take the position and will take that into consideration.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »

It is completely fair to post the facts of the matter since the nominee isn't entitled to the votes of the Senators but should make his case to earn them. There is also plenty if reasons to believe that the nominee does not understand the position well enough to objectively do a good job in it. It is also a concern that if the nominee is able to be bribed into this position, then he may sell out Atlasia's interests when dealing with foreign policy.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 08:36:28 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 08:46:45 PM by Liberal Hack »

What do you say to allegations that you were bribed with this position to change your vote?
I will address the allegations in question. I was a loyal member of the Democratic Alliance and had initially planned to vote for their candidate as any loyal partisan would. I was contacted by a labour campaginer who pointed out the numerous moral failings of the DA canidate, very recultantly I changed my vote.

I was then immediately messaged by the candidate in question who begged me to change my vote back and appealed to my sense of integrity and loyalty pointing out the numerous policy disagreements and my past disdain for the labour party. Feeling very uncertain about my vote, an idea formed at the back of my mind came to be, I would pretned that I had changed my vote because I was bribed and state it to him. If he refused that bribe and pointed out that it was highly illegal and morally wrong, I would at once change my vote back knowing that at his core he was a man of integrity. If instead he offered to bribe me I would know that the allegations raised by the labour campaigner were true and that I would be sure of my vote.

The discord chat log has been edited to remove the immediate offer to outmatch anything I had been offered previously to change my vote back. If the senate find my lying about any bribe offer morally wrong then I will widrawh my nomination but please no that both Blarite and President Sev are both men of integrity unlike a certain other presidential candidate who did not hesitate to immediately offer any position I wanted if I changed my vote back.

If you belive that what I did was wrong or that I am not telling the full story, then vote against my confirmation but neither Blarite nor President Sven offered me anything for my vote, they are true people of integrity and I remain proud of voting for our President.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2021, 08:37:57 PM »

The dumb meme that he made after the Chesham and Amersham by-election that was deleted will have more of an impact than Blairite hypothetically bribing IBNU.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2021, 08:38:05 PM »

It is completely fair to post the facts of the matter since the nominee isn't entitled to the votes of the Senators but should make his case to earn them. There is also plenty if reasons to believe that the nominee does not understand the position well enough to objectively do a good job in it. It is also a concern that if the nominee is able to be bribed into this position, then he may sell out Atlasia's interests when dealing with foreign policy.

The nominee was not bribed at all, at least by this President or his affiliates. The nominee has a great understanding of global diplomacy and a commitment to activity. He may be a newer player, but he is ideal for making this position relevant again. Not a single one of us here knows every Atlasian law or historic anecdote inside and out. This is a game, and this nominee is willing to put in the collaborative work necessary to create relevant foreign policy dealings working with myself, the Senate, the NSC, and our GM and his assessment of foreign nations. Let's drop the witch hunt and focus on reality.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »

I will take the nominee's statement as the truth. I will remain oriented on the facts of the matter, then.

After my administration and the surprisingly strong victory we saw in the North Korean Civil War, the peninsula has been a vital point of interest as CCP China now borders a Republic.

What is your goal as far as Korea is concerned? What role will they have in the fight against CCP aggression?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2021, 08:50:52 PM »

Do you believe that Atlasia should move towards restoring relations with Saudi Arabia?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »

I will take the nominee's statement as the truth. I will remain oriented on the facts of the matter, then.

After my administration and the surprisingly strong victory we saw in the North Korean Civil War, the peninsula has been a vital point of interest as CCP China now borders a Republic.

What is your goal as far as Korea is concerned? What role will they have in the fight against CCP aggression?
They are a vital ally and will continue to receive economic support for rebuilding after the war as well as military support to secure their soverignty. Our main aim is to ensure that they can support a domestic military is sufficient to maintain their sovereignty with their own economy, hence my policy will focus on forging trade links and providing the economic support required for that to happen. Until that happens I foresees we will continue to require a strong military presence in the region.

Not only is Korea geographically important but it is also ideologically important, we need a democratic bulkward to present an asian liberal democratic alternative to the communist authoritarianism of the CCP. We will support such a country in the strongest terms throught our diplomatic effort in the region.

Do you believe that Atlasia should move towards restoring relations with Saudi Arabia?
Yes I do think that while many of their actions are morally wrong and violate human rights, cutting relations totally is not productive nor will it lead to good diplomatic outcome.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »

Thank you to the nominee for clarifying. Gotta say this continued pattern of deception, half-truths, and gaslighting is disappointing but not at all surprising given the source.

I will approach this nomination with an open mind, especially with the lack of people who want the job.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »

How active will you be as SOS? This is basically the only thing I care about. Your record so far seems to suggest inactivity.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »

What is the nominee's position on the status of the Kurds? Do you believe Atlasia has enough capital to forge an independent Kurdistan agreement or do you prefer protecting the Kurds' autonomy within their nations' borders?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »

How active will you be as SOS? This is basically the only thing I care about. Your record so far seems to suggest inactivity.
I can only give you my word that I will remain active, do know however that participation in a  state legislative body involving many issue you find uninteresting and participation as an active cabinet secretary will be a different matter.
What is the nominee's position on the status of the Kurds? Do you believe Atlasia has enough capital to forge an independent Kurdistan agreement or do you prefer protecting the Kurds' autonomy within their nations' borders?
I do think that Kurdish autonomy is best secured within the existing national borders, forming an independent state from the terrority of 3 states is a simple non-starter and  Iraq has shown that it is possible to give autonomy to Kurdish regions under the existing borders. Furthermore many regions are non homegouns and there is no clear geographical border that a hypothetical kurdistan would follow, the establishment of one creates a high risk of destabilising conflict that we would wish to avoid.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2021, 09:10:08 PM »

What is the nominee's position on the Civil War in Syria and the War on Afghanistan and the Insurgency in Southeastern Nigeria?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2021, 09:14:08 PM »

Personally I think it's admirable that the president is willing to make an appointment outside of the wide pool of longtime loyal Laborites.
 I hope the nominee is confirmed.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2021, 09:14:48 PM »

The nominee was not bribed at all, at least by this President or his affiliates. The nominee has a great understanding of global diplomacy and a commitment to activity. He may be a newer player, but he is ideal for making this position relevant again. Not a single one of us here knows every Atlasian law or historic anecdote inside and out. This is a game, and this nominee is willing to put in the collaborative work necessary to create relevant foreign policy dealings working with myself, the Senate, the NSC, and our GM and his assessment of foreign nations. Let's drop the witch hunt and focus on reality.

Due to the fact that the controversy surrounding the allegations has created quite a cloud over whatever the truth may be in this situation, I have elected to recuse accusations of bribery or forgery from my position on the nominee.

Nonetheless, at the moment, I do not feel comfortable supporting the nominee. Though the nominee has spent commendable effort responding to the questions posed by members of this honorable body (of which I would have posted some had my questions not been already asked by other members), I do not believe the nominee has the necessary background for nomination. While I also find the President's sentiment about including newer players into the game commendable -- it is one of the most pressing issues facing our nation and one which I hope to address during this Senate term -- I do not feel that the position of Secretary of State is a proper position for such a launching-off point for someone less experienced in Atlasian politics. A Secretary of State needs to have deep knowledge about Atlasian history and the diplomatic history of the world along with the political experience to avoid unintentional missteps that could plunge the nation into unnecessary conflicts. Based on the answers from the nominee and the nominee's background, I do not at present believe the nominee meets this standard.

In addition, I have serious disagreements with the President's characterization of the nominee's activity. I have great respect for the President and do not believe he is intentionally misleading this body; however, I do believe there is significant evidence in opposition to the ability of the nominee to remain active in a office that -- I should know -- carries significant weight behind activity. As the nominee had failed to be active in a significantly lesser role than that of Secretary of State, I do not feel that the nominee meets the standard for activity.

I will reserve my final judgement until the nominee has answered all of the questions posed by this body as a matter of principle, but I personally did not feel it would be worth the nominee's or the Senate's time to engage of a line of questioning that I would only be posing as a matter of procedure rather than true investigation. If new evidence comes to light that would shift my opinion of the nominee, than I am open to shifting my stance and engaging in questioning.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »

For the nominee:

1. What is your philosophy surrounding international relations? How can you better foster a peaceful world and advance diplomacy especially between ourselves and our adversaries?

2. What strategic partnerships do you wish to forge during your potential tenure as Secretary of State?
Why are you asking this if you will vote against him?

The nominee has a right to express his positions irrespective of my opposition to them or not.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Absolutely. This is the reason I am calling on the President to withdraw this nomination.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies