Pro gay marriage or anti-DOMA -> Pro-Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:38:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pro gay marriage or anti-DOMA -> Pro-Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro gay marriage or anti-DOMA -> Pro-Trump  (Read 932 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2021, 12:41:42 AM »

It's easy to find a homophobic area go for Clinton and/or Biden. Hispanic neighborhoods in SoCal and black neighborhoods in eastern Cleveland count as such places. But what about the other way round? Looking for areas that voted either in favor of gay marriage or against "one man, one woman" BS amendments but then turned around and voted Trump in either 16 or 20.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:46:11 AM »

Monroe County, FL was one. It was the only county in the state to reject the constitutional amendment banning SSM in 2008, and it voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 12:53:03 AM »

Rice County, MN
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 01:06:11 AM »

Monroe County, FL was one. It was the only county in the state to reject the constitutional amendment banning SSM in 2008, and it voted for Trump in both 2016 and 2020.

Key West is a truly bizarre place, even by Florida standards.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 01:20:06 AM »

It's easy to find a homophobic area go for Clinton and/or Biden. Hispanic neighborhoods in SoCal and black neighborhoods in eastern Cleveland count as such places. But what about the other way round? Looking for areas that voted either in favor of gay marriage or against "one man, one woman" BS amendments but then turned around and voted Trump in either 16 or 20.
Scott County, MN
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 05:27:08 AM »

To me it makes sense. Key West benefits a lot from a lot of gay tourism and is known as a welcoming gay mecca, hence liberal attitudes, but the business owners themselves (and those not connected with the industry at all) might be Republicans.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 05:40:23 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2021, 05:46:18 AM by Alcibiades »

Dare County, NC, was one of only 8 counties to vote against North Carolina’s same-sex marriage ban in 2012. It voted for Trump by 16 points in 2020. Like Monroe County, it is also a coastal tourist county.

Edit: Wow, there were quite a few in South Dakota, which surprisingly only very narrowly passed a same-sex marriage ban in 2006.

Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 07:16:13 AM »

Nevada in 2020 had plenty of Trump/Yes voters on an amendment to repeal the state’s constitutional SSM ban, with Storey County, Douglas County, and Carson City being Trump/Yes jurisdictions.  The amendment passed with 62% as Biden won just over 50%.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »

Dare County, NC, was one of only 8 counties to vote against North Carolina’s same-sex marriage ban in 2012. It voted for Trump by 16 points in 2020. Like Monroe County, it is also a coastal tourist county.

Edit: Wow, there were quite a few in South Dakota, which surprisingly only very narrowly passed a same-sex marriage ban in 2006.

The South Dakota closeness was because the amendment was pretty extreme and banned even civil unions. It was also kind of badly worded, it stated it same-sex marriage and civil unions and something "any other type of comparable relationship" which confused a lot of people in its vagueness and some speculation if it would apply to like a heterosexual unmarried common law partnership recognition on some things.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 11:11:35 AM by Del Tachi »

To me it makes sense. Key West benefits a lot from a lot of gay tourism and is known as a welcoming gay mecca, hence liberal attitudes, but the business owners themselves (and those not connected with the industry at all) might be Republicans.

I was somewhat expecting the explanation to be that Monroe County, like other places in South Florida, has been quickly growing, with newer residents being more conservative than the Key West old guard.  However, the county has actually declined in population since 2008 (the county's total population appears to have peaked in 1993-94, actually.)

What may be going-on is that Key West itself is changing demographically, becoming more of a location for rich, White retirees rather than more liberal gays and boho/artist types.  As a gay Millennial myself, I cannot really say that Key West is somewhere I hear mentioned by younger gay guys as a top travel destination.   

Interestingly enough, the absolutely gayest city in the U.S. is probably in Florida but it isn't Key West - it's Wilton Manors (Broward County.)  IIRC, the mayor and entirety of the city council have been 100% LGBT for the past 20+ years. 
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 09:00:23 PM by The Æon of Isis »

One Maryland county (Frederick) that supported the state's same-sex marriage ballot initiative in 2012 voted for Trump in 2016, but it voted for Biden in 2020 comfortably.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 08:33:55 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 09:21:18 PM by nclib »

Nevada in 2020 had plenty of Trump/Yes voters on an amendment to repeal the state’s constitutional SSM ban, with Storey County, Douglas County, and Carson City being Trump/Yes jurisdictions.  The amendment passed with 62% as Biden won just over 50%.

Do you have the link to results or a map? Or know of any other repeals voted on elsewhere? Not surprising that today gay marriage would outpoll Democrats in most states. But since most referenda on gay marriage were in the 00's, and gay marriage has become much more popular, and partisanship in voting has roughly stayed the same, it makes sense that there would be far more anti-gay anti-Trump than pro-gay pro-Trump.

One Maryland county (Frederick) that supported the state's same-sex marriage ballot initiative in 2012 voted for Trump in 2016, but it voted for Biden in 2020 comfortably. Androscoggin County, Maine, voted for that state's equivalent ballot initiative that same year but supported Trump both times.

Androscoggin voted against same-sex marriage in 2012 (I can't find the Maine 2009 results).

-------

Grand, UT, Nicollet, MN, Blue Earth, MN, and Winona, MN voted for Trump in 2016 but not 2020. As did Maricopa, AZ which voted against AZ's first referendum for the ban, but for its second referendum on the ban.

Can anyone check VA (it may be hard to figure out with those independent cities)?
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 08:46:52 PM »

Nevada in 2020 had plenty of Trump/Yes voters on an amendment to repeal the state’s constitutional SSM ban, with Storey County, Douglas County, and Carson City being Trump/Yes jurisdictions.  The amendment passed with 62% as Biden won just over 50%.

Do you have the link to results or a map? Or know of any other repeals voted on elsewhere? Not surprising that today gay marriage would outpoll Democrats in most states. But since most referenda on gay marriage were in the 00's, and gay marriage has become much more popular, and partisanship in voting has roughly stayed the same, it makes sense that there would be far more anti-gay anti-Trump than pro-gay pro-Trump.

There’s a map in this Wiki article under Constitutional Amendments.  I believe NV is the only state so far to put a SSM ban repeal on the ballot, and is now the first state to repeal a constitutional ban.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »

Androscoggin voted against same-sex marriage in 2012 (I can't find the Maine 2009 results).

I see conflicting sources for its vote in 2012, but it appears to have voted against in 2009.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 09:10:09 PM »

I was somewhat expecting the explanation to be that Monroe County, like other places in South Florida, has been quickly growing, with newer residents being more conservative than the Key West old guard.  However, the county has actually declined in population since 2008 (the county's total population appears to have peaked in 1993-94, actually.)

What may be going-on is that Key West itself is changing demographically, becoming more of a location for rich, White retirees rather than more liberal gays and boho/artist types.  As a gay Millennial myself, I cannot really say that Key West is somewhere I hear mentioned by younger gay guys as a top travel destination.   
This is correct — housing prices in Key West (and the Keys more broadly) have skyrocketed, especially since '08. Lots of people, especially younger people, have been forced out because of rising housing costs. Rich olds have moved in, and we know how rich olds vote. Percentage of residents over 65 is up 4 points since 2010.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 09:20:07 PM by TDAS04 »

It’s interesting how the pro- vs. anti-gay divide has increasingly correlated with Democrat vs. Republican.  In 2012, Obama carried several counties that simultaneously voted against SSM in Maine and Washington (and some anti-SSM Maryland counties too).  In 2016, the presidential map in Maine correlated entirely with the SSM vote of four years earlier, and almost did so in Washington.  (Maryland was more complicated, due to AAs).  Of the three Romney/pro-SSM counties in the three states in 2012, two flipped for Hillary (Anne Arundel, MD and Whitman, WA), while the other (Fredrick, MD) voted for Biden in 2020.  Shows that the parties are increasingly divided by culture.  Democrats should continue to be on the correct side of these issues, even if they need to better communicate their economic populism to the WWC.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »

Not sure about specific areas, but I know a lot of these types of voters.  They're basically low propensity middle class voters in their 30's and 40's who aren't very political or religious and support gay rights but also just got into the Trump movement.  These are precisely the types of voters the GOP needs and they're probably going to disproportionately drop out of the electorate in 2022.  Which is why I think the GOP is not going to do as well as Atlas believes. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies