Historical basis for the Exodus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Historical basis for the Exodus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Historical basis for the Exodus  (Read 620 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »

What secular explanation can be given foe the fact the archaeology doesn’t resemble the Bible at all??? I know Canaanites did migrate in and out of Egypt at one point.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:42:10 AM »

Dunno what you mean. On a secular level there's no reason to assume that archaeology must be reconciled with the Biblical narrative, so it's not like we need a secular explanation. The lack of archaeological data for the Exodus is only a problem for literalists.

I don't think we can confidently say anything about the Exodus in historical terms other than there was a tradition of Israel being brought out of Egypt by Yahweh, it was possibly quite early (Song of the Sea and the Book of Hosea), and whatever tradition existed was expanded by later authors.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2021, 02:30:10 PM by Kingpoleon »

In the last twenty years, a historical Exodus has grown in support. Richard Elliott Friedman, most notably, has suggested the Exodus contained the tribe of Levi and possibly the tribes of Joseph.

Thus far, the two best hypotheses involve a mirage of mutual drowning - which would cause the Egyptians and Israelites to leave, thinking the other dead - or an actual crossing of the Reed Sea.

I do think it’s very difficult to deny a historical Exodus in the light of clear Egyptian names, the Song of the Sea, and the Jewish concern for aliens predating the Babylonian captivity.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »

Wasn’t Canaan an Egyptian territory, at least once if not at numerous different points in its history?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 04:02:11 AM »

We've already got some in the Bible
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »

Well there was the exiled clerical class of the Hyksos and the exiled Egyptian Atenists to Canaan/Philistine. Safe to say there’s enough historical analogues for Exodus.
DCUS
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 01:16:58 PM »

I remember reading about an Egyptian hieroglyph that mentions ("the heberu [Hebrew?] people"), something like that. A common historical theory is that most Israelites already lived in Canaan, and that a small part of them (or who would eventually be considered Israelites) immigrated from Egypt.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 06:44:38 AM »

Well there was the exiled clerical class of the Hyksos and the exiled Egyptian Atenists to Canaan/Philistine. Safe to say there’s enough historical analogues for Exodus.
Atenism, a failed early draft of monotheism?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 04:34:33 PM »

To my knowledge, serious scholars treat the Freudian notion that Atenism is the father of Abrahamic monotheism with about the same credence that they give to the old chestnut about Mary being a mere rebranding of Isis. Of course, in my own practice I venerate the two of them side by side, but I recognize this as a distinctly postmodern and syncretic affectation as opposed to the spurious narratives that far too many pagans hold about reclaiming authentic religious history from the Christoids or whatever.

As far as Exodus is concerned, and on the note of pagans being revisionist assholes sometimes (read: much of the time), from my intellectually limited point of view I don't mind what people believe as long as we can all come together to recognize that whatever the f-ck Nina Paley's version of it can be called is blatantly presentist and facetious tripe.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »

To my knowledge, serious scholars treat the Freudian notion that Atenism is the father of Abrahamic monotheism with about the same credence that they give to the old chestnut about Mary being a mere rebranding of Isis. Of course, in my own practice I venerate the two of them side by side, but I recognize this as a distinctly postmodern and syncretic affectation as opposed to the spurious narratives that far too many pagans hold about reclaiming authentic religious history from the Christoids or whatever.

As far as Exodus is concerned, and on the note of pagans being revisionist assholes sometimes (read: much of the time), from my intellectually limited point of view I don't mind what people believe as long as we can all come together to recognize that whatever the f-ck Nina Paley's version of it can be called is blatantly presentist and facetious tripe.
I didn’t say it had much to do with Christianity but it was the first serious attempt at monotheism. Sikhism(a 500 year old Faith) isn’t abrahamic yet is monotheistic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies