How do fraternities and sororities members vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:46:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do fraternities and sororities members vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How do fraternities and sororities members vote?  (Read 1830 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »

At A&M both frat and sort members are pretty republican, frats are more apolitical than sorts though.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »

At A&M both frat and sort members are pretty republican, frats are more apolitical than sorts though.

A&M is itself one giant frat is the thing.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 05:23:31 PM »

As a whole, mostly Dem, but more R-leaning than students who are not involved in Greek life. Frats as a whole would be more right-leaning than sorts as a whole
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 11:51:05 AM »

I am agreement with both of the replies above. My own observation in college and since has been that fraternities and sororities actually draw from fairly different pools. Fraternity membership tends to be driven more by similarity in interests; young men join fraternities because they're interested in the frat lifestyle, et cetera, and this tends to be less dependent on their ethnic or socioeconomic background. By contrast, the decision to join a sorority for young women tends to be much more motivated by who they are; if you're a white woman whose family has money, then it's the thing to do, especially if your mother was in a sorority. The result is that sorority members tend to have more diverse interests; my own interests when I was in college put me in touch with many sorority members but few fraternity members.

Some of this probably stems from the fact that Greek life is asymmetrical. Fraternities throw wild parties at which crazy shenanigans happen. Sororities do not. Guys in fraternities are expected to make drunken fools of themselves and it is heavily encouraged. Sorority girls are supposed to have a good time but conduct themselves "well" and the consequences of failing to do so are far graver than they would be if the same offense were committed by a male frater. This creates a selection bias. I knew plenty of "quiet, bookish" girls who were in sororities but that type of guy is basically absent from Greek life.

There's also the fact that all-male and all-female organizations have very different implications. An all-male group of any kind is basically by definition reactionary. But all-female groups can be reactionary or quite progressive depending on the context. So you have sororities at places like Ole Miss that are basically just blonde former cheerleaders and pageant queens majoring in communications and determined to get an engagement ring on their finger by senior year or soon after. And you have sororities at places like Northwestern that raise money for Planned Parenthood and are very active in sexual assault awareness and gay rights and whatever else.

Somewhat predictably, no one has mentioned the very distinct institution that is historically Black fraternities and sororities. Those play an enormous role in Democratic politics in African-American constituencies. Candidates will often go to chapter meetings to campaign (unlike white Greek organizations, black Greek organizations basically continue functioning as social clubs/community service organizations for their members after they leave college and are well into adulthood) and if you are a young black person who wants to be involved in politics by working your way up through the traditional black Democratic power structure, it would be a great benefit to you to join one of these groups in college. Last year, the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority played a big role in Democratic GOTV efforts and I often saw their pink-and-green signs in people's yards.

I would dispute this.  Think of early 20th century labor unions and modern organizations of gay men, for example.  Also, while frat boys lean conservative compared to other college students, I wouldn't describe them as reactionary at all.  It's much more of a hedonistic, libertarian Las Vegas/Florida resort kind of conservatism.  Frat boys definitely aren't trying to reverse the sexual revolution! 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 12:16:23 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2022, 12:19:55 PM by Person Man »

My experience... the stoner ones I hung out iwith called themselves "lazy Republicans"...one of the guys from back then came out as Pro-Choice when Dobbs was handed down on FB. I think his more popular brother was somewhat liberal, but he was a douche. There were a lot of douchebag liberals in High School and College. I mostly hung out with Conservatives, believe it or not! At least in High School...but hell, a lot of the liberals and what now today would be considered "Never Trumpers" were mean and stuck up. They really put the Liberal stereotype on display in Wyoming!
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2022, 05:23:37 PM »

When I was at Vandy, the student newspaper did a political poll and divided it by Greek participation.  The results (with the caveat that it was an opt in poll by a progressive-leaning campus newspaper) were something like this:

(1-7 scale, 1 being very liberal and 7 very conservative):

Frat Guys: 4 (moderate)
Sorority Girls and non-Greek Guys: 3 (somewhat liberal)
Non-Greek Girls: 2 (liberal)

I think this was in 2016.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »

When I was at Vandy, the student newspaper did a political poll and divided it by Greek participation.  The results (with the caveat that it was an opt in poll by a progressive-leaning campus newspaper) were something like this:

(1-7 scale, 1 being very liberal and 7 very conservative):

Frat Guys: 4 (moderate)
Sorority Girls and non-Greek Guys: 3 (somewhat liberal)
Non-Greek Girls: 2 (liberal)

I think this was in 2016.

It's interesting because despite the overall college+ and non-college trends, it seems very likely that frat guys trended R in 2016 and 2020.  Trump is much more of a partier than Romney!  IDK about 2022, though.  Frat guys are probably a big component of the 25% of R's who are at least somewhat pro-choice.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »

It's interesting because despite the overall college+ and non-college trends, it seems very likely that frat guys trended R in 2016 and 2020.  Trump is much more of a partier than Romney!  IDK about 2022, though.  Frat guys are probably a big component of the 25% of R's who are at least somewhat pro-choice.

I am reasonably confident that this is false. Once you move past crude stereotypes about partying, this is a demographic we would expect to have had a large Democratic swing since 2012.

I have been trying to get a journalist friend of mine to do a story on political changes in the Greek community. It seems like a topic worth exploring, in large part because there are so many stereotypes.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2022, 08:44:49 PM »

I am reasonably confident that this is false. Once you move past crude stereotypes about partying, this is a demographic we would expect to have had a large Democratic swing since 2012.

I have been trying to get a journalist friend of mine to do a story on political changes in the Greek community. It seems like a topic worth exploring, in large part because there are so many stereotypes.

The more I think about it, 2016 is a stretch, but I do believe the closed resorts->Trump swing in 2020 extended at least somewhat to them. 
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2022, 03:11:18 AM »

More Republican than people who aren't in Greek life that's for sure. You can see it in their choice of majors (business-focused ones especially) and the general social divide that exists between people who are in it and those who aren't.

I knew plenty of "quiet, bookish" girls who were in sororities but that type of guy is basically absent from Greek life.

Quietness and Bookishness isn't really a thing among American men though, to be fair. Most guys in the United States conduct themselves pretty extroverted and gregariously.

It may be a relatively small group, but they hardly are nonexistent and they certainly are overrepresented on college campuses.

And even more so with guys who aren't in frats. It's really a stretch to say it "isn't a thing". Coming from a relatively quiet moderately bookish guy.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2022, 04:41:14 AM »

More Democratic than the nation as a whole, more Republican than the rest of the student body.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 01:35:39 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2022, 01:39:11 PM by Mr. Illini »

Anecdotally speaking, my fraternity was majority Republican when I was in college. Most of the people I've stayed in contact with are Never Trump.

I think the Romney Republican vibe in the Greek system is extremely strong.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 02:56:09 PM »

Anecdotally speaking, my fraternity was majority Republican when I was in college. Most of the people I've stayed in contact with are Never Trump.

I think the Romney Republican vibe in the Greek system is extremely strong.

This exactly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies