Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:44:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you?  (Read 2400 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 08, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »

From a Western European perspective, I can't see how the US moving towards more expected levels of religiosity is going to be 'a bad thing'. The amount of cultural/social/performative religiosity when I've been in the US is very strange to me and even religious UK friends of mine who've been, find it quite clawing.

Well, religion has been foundational to community life for centuries in the United States, particularly for marginalized communities like immigrants and obviously Black Americans. The flipside of individual freedom in religion (or lack thereof) is alienation from long-established communities and a breakdown in social cohesion. And I absolutely support individual freedom in or without religion--it's obviously enshrined in the First Amendment to the US Constitution)--but I can also acknowledge the trade-offs and downsides, especially in a such a hyper-capitalistic and unequal country as the United States.

And I agree with the sentiment expressed by others that the Republican-right-wing evangelical marriage and the Prosperity Gospel types growing at the expense of mainline Protestantism and Catholicism (as problematic as I find many aspects of both mainline Protestantism and Catholicism) is, in a word, "Bad."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »

No because religiosity does not correlate with goodness or kindness or even purity... it never has and is certainly does not in today's world.

The civil rights movement in the US would like a word with you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies