Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Does the decline of religiosity in society bother you?  (Read 2335 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »

Exactly. I tend to think people who are very religious tend to have trouble accepting democracy as a thing. Also, I tend to see organized religions as one in the same. I personally find it hypocritical to oppose the Taliban yet want a milder version of what the Taliban have right here.
MLK III: Basically The Taliban
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2021, 06:35:31 PM »

Exactly. I tend to think people who are very religious tend to have trouble accepting democracy as a thing. Also, I tend to see organized religions as one in the same. I personally find it hypocritical to oppose the Taliban yet want a milder version of what the Taliban have right here.
MLK III: Basically The Taliban
Roy Moore wants to ban gay sex for instance. He wants the ten commandments to be law.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2021, 09:18:43 PM »

no, what did religion ever do for me
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2021, 09:25:55 PM »

A little, but more in its lack of cultural importance and not as much in individuals’ actual beliefs.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »

Absolutely
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 06:41:14 AM »

No because religiosity does not correlate with goodness or kindness or even purity... it never has and is certainly does not in today's world.
Exactly z the Taliban are mainly known for killing people.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2021, 02:07:41 PM by The Swayze Train »

Organized religion? Not really. The institutional strengths of clergy, Astika, imams, rabbis, etc. have long outlived their medieval functions of preserving traditions/cultural information. In contrast, they very much contribute to suppression of thought in some cases.

Spirituality in general? Eh, different strokes for different folks. If one feels an existential need for a higher belief system, that is their prerogative. However, I don't think society is suffering because we no longer visit the shaman when we're sick.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 12:01:12 AM »

Yes.

There is a direct correlation between the decline of religion and the decline of American culture.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »

no

now if only we could have a similar type of decline in political involvement and level of ideological commitment too
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 09:46:35 PM »

On principle, no, there's no inherent reason a non-religious person can't be moral. But I think certain declines in morality in the US now are a result of the decline of Christianity, namely the complete inability to forgive amongst people under a certain age, even for the smallest infractions. I forgive other because I would like to be forgiven, that fits as a part of a secular logic based morality, but it's also something that was drilled into my head when I had to go to Sunday school as a kid so that might have something to do with it too.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »

On principle, no, there's no inherent reason a non-religious person can't be moral. But I think certain declines in morality in the US now are a result of the decline of Christianity, namely the complete inability to forgive amongst people under a certain age, even for the smallest infractions. I forgive other because I would like to be forgiven, that fits as a part of a secular logic based morality, but it's also something that was drilled into my head when I had to go to Sunday school as a kid so that might have something to do with it too.
I must express some confusion here. Surely when we engage in moral reasoning we must be reasoning to a Good upon which we are ourselves dependent - if we are not, then you don’t really think it’s objectively good for anyone to agree with you. If we are, I see little difference between this Sovereign Good and God.
Houstonian Sock
Big Tex
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 10:59:59 AM »

I think that everyone should believe in something bigger then thimesleves
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »

What if I don't even believe in myself?
Houstonian Sock
Big Tex
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 12:04:12 PM »

What if I don't even believe in myself?
You should believe in youserlf, i believe in you
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »

From a Western European perspective, I can't see how the US moving towards more expected levels of religiosity is going to be 'a bad thing'. The amount of cultural/social/performative religiosity when I've been in the US is very strange to me and even religious UK friends of mine who've been, find it quite clawing.

Well, religion has been foundational to community life for centuries in the United States, particularly for marginalized communities like immigrants and obviously Black Americans. The flipside of individual freedom in religion (or lack thereof) is alienation from long-established communities and a breakdown in social cohesion. And I absolutely support individual freedom in or without religion--it's obviously enshrined in the First Amendment to the US Constitution)--but I can also acknowledge the trade-offs and downsides, especially in a such a hyper-capitalistic and unequal country as the United States.

And I agree with the sentiment expressed by others that the Republican-right-wing evangelical marriage and the Prosperity Gospel types growing at the expense of mainline Protestantism and Catholicism (as problematic as I find many aspects of both mainline Protestantism and Catholicism) is, in a word, "Bad."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »

No because religiosity does not correlate with goodness or kindness or even purity... it never has and is certainly does not in today's world.

The civil rights movement in the US would like a word with you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies