SB 30-24: Fair Chance at Housing Act (Awaiting Sponsor)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:00:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 30-24: Fair Chance at Housing Act (Awaiting Sponsor)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 30-24: Fair Chance at Housing Act (Awaiting Sponsor)  (Read 1586 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »

Fair Chance At Housing Act

To prohibit landlords from not renting to tenants because of certain aspects of their criminal background.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Fair Chance At Housing Act”.

Section 2. Disclosure Limitation

(a) In general. —

A landlord shall not require potential tents or renters to disclose, nor use the following to base a rental decision —
(1) any arrests that did not result in a criminal conviction;
(2) participation in a diversion or deferral of judgment program;
(3) any expunged, invalidated, or voided convictions;
(4) any juvenile convictions;
(5) any offenses that are neither felonies or misdemeanors; and
(6) any convictions that took place more than seven years prior where any incarceration for such conviction has been completed no less than two years prior.

(b) Criminal exceptions. —

Paragraph (6) of Subsection (2)(a) shall not apply to the crimes of —
(1) murder and manslaughter;
(2) felony assault that causes serious physical injury;
(3) kidnapping;
(4) crimes which are of a sexual nature;
(5) crimes relating to theft or destruction of personal property;
(6) manufacturing or trafficking of illegal controlled substances, but not the sole possession of drugs without intent to sell.

(c) Criminal background check. —

No landlord shall conduct any background checks on potential tenants until after a conditional lease offer is made to such tenants, which may thereafter be rescinded as a result of any information found in a background check in accordance with this Act.

(d) Notification.—

A landlord shall be required notify any applicants if their conditional lease offer is rescinded in writing within 7 days, which shall include a copy of the background check and the stated reason for rescinding such a conditional lease offer.

(e) Two-family dwelling exception. —

Subsection (2)(a) shall not apply to landlords renting a two-family dwelling in which they live as their main residence.

Section 3. Noncompliance

Upon conviction in a summary proceeding, a person who violates Section (2) of this Act shall be subject to a fine not greater than five hundred dollars per violation.

Section 4. Implementation

This Act shall take effect immediately after passage.

People's House of Representatives
Passed 4-2-0-3 in the House of Representatives

Sponsor: None
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »

I'll sponsor this bill.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »

Falterin, you brought up a bill right as the doors are about to be locked and the building demolished. Tongue
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 12:42:27 AM »

This bill didn't get a fair chance at housing.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 12:20:51 AM »

speedrun time
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »

Debate is open, and senators have 24 hours to object to the sponsorship of Jimmy.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 12:54:04 AM »

Hearing no objection, Senator Jimmy is recognized as sponsor.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »

Given that we must give every Atlasian a fair chance, I oppose discrimination in all its forms. Which leads me to support this bill.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »

This bill is pretty simple, it prevents landlords from denying a lease to tenants with a criminal record except for the crimes listed in Subsection (2)(b).
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:26 PM »

Seems like a sensible bill. My only concern lies with §2.e, which exempts landlords in the case that they reside in a two-family dwelling with the potential renter. I feel that the two-family descriptor is a bit limiting for the landlords -- if they reside in a three-family dwelling with two other families, are they not allowed to be exempt in those cases? If I am not misreading this subsection and this is a valid concern, I introduce the following amendment:

To prohibit landlords from not renting to tenants because of certain aspects of their criminal background.

Section 1. Short title

(a) In general. —

A landlord shall not require potential tents or renters to disclose, nor use the following to base a rental decision —
(6) any convictions that took place more than seven years prior where any incarceration for such conviction has been completed no less than two years prior.

(3) kidnapping;
(6) manufacturing or trafficking of illegal controlled substances, but not the sole possession of drugs without intent to sell.

No landlord shall conduct any background checks on potential tenants until after a conditional lease offer is made to such tenants, which may thereafter be rescinded as a result of any information found in a background check in accordance with this Act.

(d) Notification.—

A landlord shall be required notify any applicants if their conditional lease offer is rescinded in writing within 7 days, which shall include a copy of the background check and the stated reason for rescinding such a conditional lease offer.

(e) TwoMulti-family dwelling exception. —

Subsection (2)(a) shall not apply to landlords renting a twomulti-family dwelling in which they live as their main residence.

Section 3. Noncompliance

Upon conviction in a summary proceeding, a person who violates Section (2) of this Act shall be subject to a fine not greater than five hundred dollars per violation.

Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 10:39:14 PM »

Subsection (2)(a) shall not apply to landlords renting a twomulti-family dwelling in which they live as their main residence.

My concern was balancing this without creating a loophole where the landlord puts the building as their main residence, even if its like an apartment type housing with dozens of families.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 10:44:05 PM »

My concern was balancing this without creating a loophole where the landlord puts the building as their main residence, even if its like an apartment type housing with dozens of families.

That is a valid concern. What if I withdraw my current amendment and propose a new amendment where landlords are entitled to be exempt in housing situations with multiple families, except for apartment complexes or condominiums?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »

That is a valid concern. What if I withdraw my current amendment and propose a new amendment where landlords are entitled to be exempt in housing situations with multiple families, except for apartment complexes or condominiums?

I set the exception at a two-family house because many people rent out the other side/floor of their house as more of side income rather than a main income. By doing this it separates a family just trying to make a little extra money from a landlord renting out 3+ family semi-detached houses as a main income source. Also creating a definition separating apartments and condos from the requirements creates a lot of loopholes, as for example what would a 3+ family "apartment style" semi-detached houses be classified as.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 11:08:48 PM »

I set the exception at a two-family house because many people rent out the other side/floor of their house as more of side income rather than a main income. By doing this it separates a family just trying to make a little extra money from a landlord renting out 3+ family semi-detached houses as a main income source.

That's fair, but my worry is that such a clause precludes the scenario in which a person decides to allow two families to rent in their house (as an example). The rigidity of the "two" in two-family is the part that I believe could be used against landlords in an edge-case scenario like the one I just described.

Also, for the record and the Chair, my earlier amendment is withdrawn -- I would like to be able to work out an amendment that addresses all aspects of this situation while also not allowing landlords to overuse such a clause.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 12:44:09 AM »

I set the exception at a two-family house because many people rent out the other side/floor of their house as more of side income rather than a main income. By doing this it separates a family just trying to make a little extra money from a landlord renting out 3+ family semi-detached houses as a main income source.

That's fair, but my worry is that such a clause precludes the scenario in which a person decides to allow two families to rent in their house (as an example). The rigidity of the "two" in two-family is the part that I believe could be used against landlords in an edge-case scenario like the one I just described.

Also, for the record and the Chair, my earlier amendment is withdrawn -- I would like to be able to work out an amendment that addresses all aspects of this situation while also not allowing landlords to overuse such a clause.

After clarification from Jimmy, it appears I had arrived at a misunderstanding of the word "two-family" versus "multi-family" and as a result homeowners who lease to more than one family in a house setting would be able to be exempt from this law. As such, my concerns are withdrawn.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 07:14:42 PM »

Though I would have concerns about how the dividing line here is discerned under the law (I would assume under current relevant drug laws etc), I am pleased that some effort is placed towards protecting low level drug offenders, as they are often left to add to the population of homeless people unnecessarily.

I certainly understand the concerns of property owners who may be concerned that their property is used to traffic or manufacture drugs and obviously would and should possess the ability to preclude such activities from transpiring on their premises.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »

I certainly understand the concerns of property owners who may be concerned that their property is used to traffic or manufacture drugs and obviously would and should possess the ability to preclude such activities from transpiring on their premises.

I agree from local irl experience, with the dangerous production of drugs like methamphetamine and others in multifamily houses causing explosions and fires. It is a real safety hazard that differs from just having a record of processing drugs.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 12:34:13 AM »

Unless anyone has further thoughts on this, I'd like to motion for a final vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 12:36:40 AM »

A final vote will open in 24 hours without objection.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 02:46:10 PM »

I support passing the bill in its current form.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 11:30:07 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2021, 02:05:46 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Hearing no objection, a final vote is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Final Senate Text

Section 1. Short title

(a) In general. —

(3) kidnapping;

(d) Notification.—

(e) Two-family dwelling exception. —

Subsection (2)(a) shall not apply to landlords renting a two-family dwelling in which they live as their main residence.

Section 3. Noncompliance

People's House of Representatives
Passed 4-2-0-3 in the House of Representatives

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »

Aye